Long Range Shooting

Raging Bull

Four Pointer
Just curious if anyone on here does any long range shooting out to 600 yards or further just for fun/practice. Not looking to do competitions. I would love to find some people to shoot with in an informal setting and learn from. Thanks. I am located in Roxboro area but dont mind driving some.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I play a lil..... its an expensive hobby but very fun. For long range i currently have
Zel custom T2 50BMG
Savage 110BA 338 Lapua
Savage 110FCP-HS 300WM
Custom 6.5 creedmoor AR10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jett

Ten Pointer
My kids and I play a little with long range shooting. ;)

IMG_8997_2.jpg

1167 Yard Doe

585%20yd%20bear_1.jpg

585 Yard Bear

621%20yd%20buck_2.jpg

620 Yard Buck

Last edited:

ridenismo

Six Pointer
got darn!!!!! 1167 is a good little toss! Here i was thinking i was even in the conversation with the 1000 yards i like to piss lead into the wind at. I shoot a grendel, and used to play around with my 308 AR10 for shits and giggles. Yall boys are putting in work :mosh:

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
I don't, but my dad and his buddies used to hunt long range in PA, shooting across valleys from mountain to mountain. There are a bunch of lookouts up there that you can see out to about 1200 yards. My dad's longest shot was a bear at 350+, but one of the guys shot a bear at 888, in thick cover. They watched the bear for over 6 hours bedded down before he decided to take a shot through an 8" window. Bang flop.....Match .308.

Raging Bull

Four Pointer
Yeah that is very impressive! I shoot some out to 600 but would love to get with some guys who do the same. Hopefully I could learn some more from guys who do it more than I do currently.

Jett

Ten Pointer
Dang Jett, that's getting it done!!! Awesome!!

Thanks FITZH20.

It takes the right equipment, technology and loads of practice to shoot wild game responsibly at long range.

We are fortunate to have one of the best custom gunsmiths right here in NC. He will build you any gun, but his passion is very accurate long range rifles.

His name is Dan Glover of Dan's Custom Guns in Youngsville NC. He built all of the pictured guns.

http://danscustomgunservice.com/
(919) 604-1651

Last edited:

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Ive heard nothing but good things outa Dan's shop. Personally haven't had him make one for me but I've shot with several guys that have and they are top notch.

deerhunter28

Ten Pointer
My kids and I play a little with long range shooting. ;)

IMG_8997_2.jpg

1167 Yard Doe

585%20yd%20bear_1.jpg

585 Yard Bear

621%20yd%20buck_2.jpg

620 Yard Buck

Picture 1&2 looks like a McMillan stock?
Is that correct?
Picture 3 I'm not sure what stock?
Also looks like Nightforce scopes in all 3 pictures?
Is that correct?

Very nice shooting for sure.
You have put your time in to working up loads at the distance you are shooting.

Last edited:

Jett

Ten Pointer
Picture 1&2 looks like a McMillan stock?
Is that correct?
Picture 3 I'm not sure what stock?
Also looks like Nightforce scopes in all 3 pictures?
Is that correct?

Very nice shooting for sure.
You have put your time in to working up loads at the distance you are shooting.

Yes, all three are McMillan A-5s with Nightforce ATACRs.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Whoa. Nice shooting. I killed one long range in the mtns this year. 100 yards :)

I'd love to play with long range but it seems like I don't even have time to plink with the toys I've got, much less get into big stuff like that.

Pretty cool though.

Old Coach

Four Pointer
To find out more about LR shooting lots of good reading over on Sniper's Hide.
It can get costly if you want to run with the big boys.
You can learn a lot shooting a 22LR at 200yds.--trigger control, breathing, judge the wind, bullet drop, etc.
A good place to start and not much money. Try a Savage FVSR bolt with a scope with turrents.
A good 308 will get you to 1000 with Federal Gold Metal Match ammo. About $1 per round.
Put your money in the scope.
Lots of trigger time is the key. That is where you start to spend $$$.
Also finding a place to shoot 1000yds is not easy.
Coach

ridenismo

Six Pointer
well ive got 1200 yards off the back porch and ill tell you after owning/shooting a 4000$ AR10 dont skimp on the scope! Anybody here ever mess with the big 6.5's? Im sitting on a 30" 6.5 barrel blank. 6.5 Gibbs/6.5-300 are the spectrum im looking into on a 700 action.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
well ive got 1200 yards off the back porch and ill tell you after owning/shooting a 4000$ AR10 dont skimp on the scope! Anybody here ever mess with the big 6.5's? Im sitting on a 30" 6.5 barrel blank. 6.5 Gibbs/6.5-300 are the spectrum im looking into on a 700 action.

Biggest I've played with are the creedmoor and Swiss. 100% agree with the scopes my long guns are wearing either Leup Mark 4s or upper end Vortex Vipers, I've personally never understood why some guys buy a $2k-$4k rifle and then put an unreliable optic or use $13 mount/rings on it. By no mean am i saying you have to by the most expensive gear buy quality and precision generally aren't cheap

Raging Bull

Four Pointer
I have been shooting 600yards and hitting my 10" square gong pretty consistently. Trying to learn how to read wind better. The load I worked up in one of my .308s is well under .5" moa. My biggest want is just some to find a group of guys to shoot with and learn more from.

Jett

Ten Pointer
I was working up a load today. Here are the results. Keep in mind the 250 yard target was for group size and velocity spread testing only. The scope was not zeroed for this load although it was close. The low shot was a cold bore shot.

IMG_3862_1.jpg

250 Yard Group

Here is the 3 shot 1000 yard group (about 4 inches) after using a Sig Kilo 2400 to get the dial ups and windage.

image2-2.jpg

close up 1000 yd 3 shot group

image1-4_1.jpg

At distance. For perspective. Dead deer/bear/yote all 3 shots...

Last edited:

Jett

Ten Pointer
How do you like the Sig kilo?

Looks interesting as a long range tool

Today was my first time using the Sig Kilo 2400. It is a real game changer and has likely made my Kestrel and ballistic apps obsolete. It reduces a 2 to 3 step process into one step, which greatly reduces the time required to get a shot off on a target which does not stay still for long.

Although I did not compare the dial up information to what I would have gotten using my Kestrel, the dial ups and windage correction obviously worked for these three shots. I will do a comparison of results tomorrow.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
I was working up a load today. Here are the results. Keep in mind the 250 yard target was for group size and velocity spread testing only. The scope was not zeroed for this load although it was close. The low shot was a cold bore shot.

IMG_3862_1.jpg

250 Yard Group

Here is the 3 shot 1000 yard group (about 4 inches) after using a Sig Kilo 2400 to get the dial ups and windage.

image2-2.jpg

close up 1000 yd 3 shot group

image1-4_1.jpg

At distance. For perspective. Dead deer/bear/yote all 3 shots...

Wow, that's awesome!!

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I'm always playing around out to 600-800 yards. I'm shooting regular hunting rifles with modified triggers and stocks and have no problem keeping groups within an MOA or less. I do it just for fun. I've been doing some "redneck" version of F-Class lately. Since I mostly shoot by myself I shoot 15 or 20 rounds in an allotted time and then go look at the target. At 600 yards it's almost impossible to see the holes in the black. You have no idea where you are hitting. It's kind of fun in an evil kind of way. I can shoot out to 600-700 yards until April or when they start to plant the fields (corn this year:( ). After that it's 300 yards through the woods. If anyone wants to drop by and do some plinking drop me a pm. I'm east of 95.