Any top notch bow shops left to go to

DJinNC

Banned
First of all the Shop in Raleigh formerly known as NC hunter supply is really good. Just up the road maybe 15 minutes in Rolesville is Hunters Haven. Just off 401 as you cross the town limits. Dave frequents the gun shows and Dixie Deer classic and he can tune the %^&^ out of a bow. FOlks on AT talk about a "crackerized bow"..... Dave is as good as it gets!

I think there are many factors for the failures of archery only shops. The two above are diversified. First being technology. I thought it was just me, but several people on archery talk have expressed what I feel or see: "are the new bows that much better than the older bows of 5-10 years ago"?. The technology has gotten so good that you can buy a 250-300 bow that is good for pretty much anything in NA. Many of these are adjustable without a press. Couple that with being able to buy ready cut arrows and the availability of RTH or RTS set ups and you are looking at visiting the archery shop once before bow season for a tune up or every 2-3 years for a new string. Let's be honest, if you are a bow hunter, even a serious one who shoots often, there is not ALOT of performance difference between a 300 bow and a 800 bow. To get real difference you have to get into that super smooth draw 1200.00 market. Even then, that 250.00 rts set up at Dicks can take a pounding and kills many deer, bear, hogs and turkey. I have a Hoyt I bought for used for 300 in 20010. I know it like the back of my hand. The paint has worn some on the front of the shelf and but she still puts 415 gr down range at 279-282 fps. tight 4x6 groups to 50 yards. What do I get from spending another 1,000+ to get another 30-40 fps? I purchased a "starter" bow for my son. a 250.00 Martin rts set up.... I am impressed. My next bow will be when I am ready to drop down from 70# to 55-60#. or will it since I can adjust down to 60#. See my point. Now places like the shop in Raleigh (formerly NC hunter supply)... with range, they will do fine. Been going there since 2007 when they were Carolina outdoor sportsmen off Six Forks. The sad part is, as archery only shops struggle, archery is the fastest growing segment of the hunting industry. In fact bowhunting and a somewhat distant second is blackpowder are the primary reason for the slight uptick in hunters. In wake county, it wont be long before archery tops firearms in kills and opportunities to hunt. That day is coming soon and the bow manufacturers are capitalizing on it with the big box stores. I hate to admit it, but if something happens to my bow..... those cabelas store bows from Bowtech are getting some really nice ratings and have for years!!!!!! I don't think any are over 500.00 to the field. Most probably 300.00+/-.

Last edited:

careyhamil

Eight Pointer
If you think finding compound shops is tough just try finding anything longbow or recurve related. I have Terry's Archery Plus near me, great folks who have been there 30 years or better, and a lot of people drive a long way to use them. Terry and TJ are outstanding with folks, they order for me and keep basic quick stuff I use regularly in stock. Otherwise I'm online and on my own....

Second this shop. I miss hanging out and shooting at Terry's!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think Ronnie at the Country store in Denton does a really good job with reasonable rates. Anything from setting it up to selling up a new one.

NCDoberman

Ten Pointer
Give First Flight (formerly NC Hunters Supply) https://firstflightarchery.com/ Old Wake Forest Road in Raleigh a look. Good folks. They also have a 20 yd range on the premises.

I'm interested in hearing more feedback about them with the new ownership. Justin was pretty much the only reason I went in there and now that he's gone I'm not sure I'll go back.

Last edited:

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Dunn might be out of your way, but I've had good experiences with The Bowsmithe.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
All of the good places went out of buisiness where I'm from too. Right now my bow is at EJW Outdoors in Morehead City getting a new handmade string. Everyone I've met there has been knowledgeable and helpful so hopefully this goes well, I'll let y'all know when I get it back.