Savage smokless breech plugs? they still out there?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Was reading they stopped selling and making them again.

I have a new Breech plug and vent that I got for a second build but never did it.

So I have a 26" SS Encore barrel with sights that is new and the Breechplug and vent to make it a Smokless muzzleloader and not going to do another for now.

Want to know if they can still be had before I sell the combo or just sell the barrel.
Cant find links to get them new.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Luke still has them but for a new build the new ASG plugs in either 209 or LRMP with bushings are the way to go in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Personally I'd sale it if you can. Better options now and all.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I replaced the stock factory savage plug with one of Luke's bushing plugs.....those things are awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ncturkeyhunter

Do the breech plugs from Luke increase accuracy or is it that they are stronger? I'm a sucker for anything that'll increase accuracy.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds like it is not the same size as the savage so if you are using a savage you can not change or recut to the new one?

So what about the barrels with the savage is it the end of the road for them or can you convert to the new type.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Sounds like it is not the same size as the savage so if you are using a savage you can not change or recut to the new one?

So what about the barrels with the savage is it the end of the road for them or can you convert to the new type.

Luke has a direct replacement plug for the original savage plug that uses the bushings. He is making these through his machinist since Savage is done and will not make any more. The advantage to the tungsten carbide bushings is how long they last. Most of the time a vent liner flash hole has eroded and opened up to the point accuracy diminishes and it needs replacing after about 30 shots on after. Much less than that is you shoot "hot" loads. The bushing lasts at least 500 shots probably and a lot of guys have over 1000 shots on a bushing.