Skunk roadkill

Markfromflorida

Eight Pointer
I't sure seems like I have driven by lots of skunk roadkill the last few weeks.. I drive the same roads and I'd guess I see a new one every other day..

Is it mating season or something? Anybody else notice new kills?

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've noticed the same. Walnut Cove to Greensboro commute and almost everyday, another one is dead in the road.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
There everywhere here on the other side of the mtns. Skunk rut in full swing!! Noes the time to get that trophy!!!hahaha

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I'd hate to get sprayed by one, but I do enjoy the smell when we drive by such a spot. Originally from Ontario, I don't see any in the Blacklands....

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
There everywhere here on the other side of the mtns. Skunk rut in full swing!! Noes the time to get that trophy!!!hahaha

Yup I have been spending more time in TN and AL than at home and they are everywhere dead on the side of the road!

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Saw plenty last week when I stayed at Berry Hill Plantation in Va. Lots dead on road in orange, Caswell, and Halifax and Pittslyvania counties in Va. Breeding and hungry so moving a lot.

Also saw 8 plus dead hawks on one road alone plus several more on other road

You will not see many skunks in some n.c counties , namely wake and chatham (trapped 1 in chatham) but orange Caswell, person and northern alamance and northern Durham counties are chock full of them

Last edited:

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Enjoy------http://search.aol.com/aol/video?q=dead+skunk+in+the+middle+of+the+road+youtube&s_it=video-ans&sfVid=true&videoId=1EEBE5A47FFC9E17365B1EEBE5A47FFC9E17365B&v_t=client97_searchbox-ac

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
I've noticed the same. Walnut Cove to Greensboro commute and almost everyday, another one is dead in the road.
Same here. I make about the same drive from walkertown to Gboro daily and seen a bunch lately.

Sent from.......wait....where am I?!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
drove to Graham on SUnday,,,,seen several up that way,,,,one I would have liked to trap back in the 70s when low % of white was the rage as he only had a white skull cap, rest was coal black,,,,,,

Redneck Rocker Dude

Old Mossy Horns
Don't see many in my part of the state but I worked a summer in Henderson and dealt with them daily. I hate those damn things!!! Kill em all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Haven't seen a Skunk in our part of the state at all..Back at Aberdeen Proving Grounds up in Maryland during my Army days the darn things would get under the barracks and fight. They stunk like heck but we were not allowed to kill them at that time..

Boojum

Ten Pointer
Tis the season-the skunk rut. I see more between mid-February and mid-March every year than the rest of the year put together. They get ornery this time of year too, and won't move out of the way for a car-they try to face it down. I ran over one a couple weeks ago and my truck still stinks.

NCHNTR

Old Mossy Horns
Saw one in Greenville dead on 264 at tar river bridge just past Hastings ford yesterday

Markfromflorida

Eight Pointer
I guessed the rut was the reason.... After I posted this; my wife ran over a dead one and parts of it must have stayed under her car. She said she almost gagged because of the smell! I chuckled.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The end of the season in Alabama was terrible if you were sitting in a hardwoods area. Between the armadillos chasing each other and the skunks chasing each other, and then the skirls chasing each other...and it was RUT for the deer as well. Everything that could make noise sounded like a buck chasing a doe and sitting still was awfully tough when you never knew what was making that racket.

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've probably seen 500 or more dead on the road, but have never seen one in the woods...

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes, it's skunk breeding season and they're on the move. I can smell one almost every morning when I first step out, and I don't dare let the dog out on his own too much before daylight cause I don't need that problem.......

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Crazy coincidence, i just seen this thread and yesterday i had to travel to Cornelius NC for work and counted atleast 5 dead on the road between Greensboro and Huntersville. I mentioned to several people that i was shocked at the number i had seen.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I have been seeing them around wilson lately and I never remember seeing them around here much. Guess the WRC is now introducing them like they did coyotes.....[emoji12][emoji12]

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Crazy, my brother just told me he saw one run over outside of Zebulon; never seen them before around there.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I have been seeing them around wilson lately and I never remember seeing them around here much. Guess the WRC is now introducing them like they did coyotes.....[emoji12][emoji12]

They have been following the groundhogs......well 10 years behind the groundhogs. places I hunted that groudhogs showed up on there eastward march , the skunks were 5-10 years behind.