Remington rifle rant

herman

Six Pointer
Bought a Remington sps in 7/08 last year when you could get a $75 off.
Shot it a few times haven't had time to shoot it much even tho I shoot once a week with many different rifles.
It was put on the back burner.
Got it out a couple weeks ago ( it should be under warrenty) and was going to take it to the range,noticed the trigger was very hard,took an allen screw and thought I was adjusting the screw that was susposed to be in the trigger shoe,but nothing was happening.
Looked it up and saw that there was susposed to be a small screw in there but there was none,and there or it showed a small green tool to adjust with.So went and looked in the box that it came in and no tool or screw to be found.
I called rem and the fellow said I could order one on their web site,so went there figuring the small screw couldn't be much,$4.97,Sent email that I could not find any place to order they sent back where to find it was going to order it but they wanted $15 bucks to mail.Which could have been put in a envolpe and mailed for the price of a postage stamp.
I have 2 safe's full of rifles and at least 75% are remingtons.
Sent them back message that I thought that was bull crap the rifle is under warrenty.and that it would be the last remington products I would buy.
They sent back an e-mail where I could purchase it again.
Allready replaced their trigger with an after market one,which I would have anyhow.They just lost a good customer over a shipping charge.
Rant Over.

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
Havnt cared for remington products or their customer service since freedom group took over.

Sent from.......wait....where am I?!

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sent 2 shotguns to them for repairs last year.......both fixed at no charge....... and returned in better shape than they left. No complaints here......mine were both manufacturer defects in my eyes. They didn't ask any questions......got one of them back in 2 weeks and the other in 10 weeks.

dsink

Eight Pointer
I am a little confused. Did it have a threaded hole in the trigger for the screw and it just wasnt in there or was there no hole in the trigger for a screw?

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Yep I started selling them off also.

No CS anymore and no support.

I've still got a few older Remington rifles , ( bought in the '70's ) gonna keep those , I've gone to looking at the Tika T-3 lite rifles more lately , as well as the Ruger rifles....

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
My move was back to the ruger and Howa for euro cals like 6.5 and light hunters.

I have been keeping my older guns but even thinking about selling them.
Have some early blue guns that you can never find or get that finish short of custom and several LR remington PSS that I may move on and keep a few I built or had built.

herman

Six Pointer
I don't think the screw was ever in the trigger,I have looked in the safe and the gun case and nothing.
The issue was really the shipping cost of the screw,never seen one but by the size of the hole in the trigger it couldn't have been big.
The shoe does have a hole in it.
The tikes and ruger rifle are very good and the support is good as well.I have tikas ,rugers.vangards and savage and others
Bought a tika in 25/06 years ago wouldn't group sent it back after that it would shoot one hole groups at 100 yds.No cost,Have 2 savages out of the box that I have won 300 yd egg shoots with.Haven't got a Remington out of the box that would bust 4 eggs in a row at 300 yds.
Had a Tupperware stock to split on one rifle after the warrenty was out.The mfg sent a new stock no questions asked at no charge.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I had a few things wrong with rugers but not on them and they stepped up fast.

Both used guns, one trigger spring that someone cut to get a light trigger not knowing what to do.... It would bump off.
Other was set of rings that I guess were crossthreaded.
In both cases they ask SN and offered to fix for free even if returned or send parts.
I ask for a spring and they shipped it in 2 days free, easy fix.
Rings they said return as cheap as I could about 3$ ship and list the gun and scope combo they would send new rings for free. They did and got them about 6 days later.

They have never let me down.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
My move was back to the ruger and Howa for euro cals like 6.5 and light hunters.

I have been keeping my older guns but even thinking about selling them.
Have some early blue guns that you can never find or get that finish short of custom and several LR remington PSS that I may move on and keep a few I built or had built.

I have a few of the BDL custom Deluxe line , with the nice engraving , probably keep those since they aren't made anymore. They'll be safe queens though.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
And yet some guys laugh when I tell them how good Savages are.... hate to hear it, would hope for better from a company like Remington but seems like alot of the big names have gone to crap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boojum

Ten Pointer
And yet some guys laugh when I tell them how good Savages are.... hate to hear it, would hope for better from a company like Remington but seems like alot of the big names have gone to crap

Savage makes excellent rifles. They're not fancy, but they're accurate and dependable, at a good price.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
The only Remington I currently own is a 700 ADL in 270, and it's been a good gun for the year-ish I've had it. But I know a lot of buddies who've had issues with their Remington's. I don't know anyone with a newer 870 express that hasn't had problems.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
The only Remington I currently own is a 700 ADL in 270, and it's been a good gun for the year-ish I've had it. But I know a lot of buddies who've had issues with their Remington's. I don't know anyone with a newer 870 express that hasn't had problems.

The 700 action is suppose to be a very good one. I have on in .308 and never had a problem with it. I am going to switch out the trigger when I get the time.

gobblr addict

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have a half dozen Remingtons...not selling them....I have a super accurate late model 25-06 700XCR that came with a X-mark trigger....Oneshot onekill is putting a Shilen in it now... I even bought a Rem 783 in Oct., cheap 308Win....killed three deer with it this past season....One 9pt at 200yds......trigger adjusted down good...I like it, but it didn't eject fired casings right....It is now at an authorized gunsmith in Randleman. I know it'll be right when I get it back. Already have a Boyd's stock to put it in when I get it back.....also have a tack driver in .280Rem Mountain rifle.....busted over 30deer with...

Some are junk, but some still shoot good......I love that 308 though, look forward to getting it back! Have too many good ones to just bad-mouth Remington to death....JMO

Last edited:

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
I don't think the screw was ever in the trigger,I have looked in the safe and the gun case and nothing.
The issue was really the shipping cost of the screw,never seen one but by the size of the hole in the trigger it couldn't have been big.
The shoe does have a hole in it.
The tikes and ruger rifle are very good and the support is good as well.I have tikas ,rugers.vangards and savage and others
Bought a tika in 25/06 years ago wouldn't group sent it back after that it would shoot one hole groups at 100 yds.No cost,Have 2 savages out of the box that I have won 300 yd egg shoots with.Haven't got a Remington out of the box that would bust 4 eggs in a row at 300 yds.
Had a Tupperware stock to split on one rifle after the warrenty was out.The mfg sent a new stock no questions asked at no charge.
Herman, you can go to a good hardware store and fine the allen screw for the trigger and can also find allen head wrench to tighten it. Have done it many times when I would lose/strip threads in these small screws...may have to figure out the size but can be done. Would not fool with trying to get one thru Remington when they charging that much. Do you have the manual with said gun...should show how to adjust. Just my 2 cents.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I have a half dozen Remingtons...not selling them....Have too many good ones to just bad-mouth Remington to death
Dont get me wrong there are plenty of great 700s (got a 308 custom mountain type that i love) but with current products it seems its as rare to get a good one as it used to be to get a bad one

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Remington 700 trigger issue is on 60 minutes right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And it was BS about the kid that died. Hate it for the family. Every one who has been injured or killed by a Rem 700 was the result of someone not following a major safety rule of handling a firearm. Don't point at something that you are not willing to destroy.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
And it was BS about the kid that died. Hate it for the family. Every one who has been injured or killed by a Rem 700 was the result of someone not following a major safety rule of handling a firearm. Don't point at something that you are not willing to destroy.

You know as I was watching it I was thinking the same thing. Basic firearm safety could have saved everyone of those lives.

But, Remington needs to step up to the plate and do something about all those pre recall faulty triggers that are out there. They won't even acknowledge there's an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
There never was a problem with the triggers.

But there have been several recalls on them at different times most as a CYA.

The latest problem was in the glue they use to seal and lock threads for adjustment, it was no good and caused problems with reset.

Boojum

Ten Pointer

That is very true and I agree; but also, a rifle shouldn't go off when you take the safety off and aren't touching the trigger to begin with. I have never seen that happen, but it was happening with the 700s, over and over. I will hold on to my old Remingtons, they were great guns- but you couldn't give me a new one. When they were taken over by a financial management firm, the quality went downhill in a hurry. Their .22 shells aren't even worth buying now-about one out of eight in the last box I bought was a dud.

Last edited:

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
There never was a problem with the triggers.
Oh yeah, there is a problem. Even the original trigger designer Mr. Walker said there was. I though the two cases CBS harped on were not good indications of the newer trigger problem, too much room for operator error with those events. But if there was not a definitive Walker trigger problem then there would be the same statistical frequency of issues with the M70, et al, which there is not.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Oh yeah, there is a problem. Even the original trigger designer Mr. Walker said there was. I though the two cases CBS harped on were not good indications of the newer trigger problem, too much room for operator error with those events. But if there was not a definitive Walker trigger problem then there would be the same statistical frequency of issues with the M70, et al, which there is not.

The problem is the nut behind the trigger.
Look at the cases 60 min used. Kid shot the other kid.

not saying there has never been a problem with a remington or any other gun. They are mechanism that works with moving parts, all are subject to fail, break, fall out of adjustment or fail due to neglect, adjust wrong........

Last edited:

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The problem is the nut behind the trigger.
Look at the cases 60 min used. Kid shot the other kid.
Look at my post and I agreed with that. But for anyone to say there is not a design flaw problem with the earlier Walker trigger is simply incorrect.