Hog Hunt Question

Etanner

Button Buck
I'm going on a hog hunt this weekend. Where I will be hunting has a no rifle rule so I'll be taking my crossbow and shotgun (SBEII). I found a few boxes of shotgun slugs and I was wondering if I can shoot them out of this gun. Also, what choke would y'all recommend? What is the effective range?

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Are they rifled slugs? If so use a modified or looser choke. Do not shoot them out of a extra full choke.

Etanner

Button Buck
Are they rifled slugs? If so use a modified or looser choke. Do not shoot them out of a extra full choke.

9770eb0acf477f1fa56d22e974b400f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Without sighting in the gun if you are stand hunting I would opt for buckshot and head shoot them.

Etanner

Button Buck
Without sighting in the gun if you are stand hunting I would opt for buckshot and head shoot them.

Will be stand hunting, I'll probally just go with that or the crossbow, my shotgun is not a rifled barrel

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Will be stand hunting, I'll probally just go with that or the crossbow, my shotgun is not a rifled barrel

Many smoothbore shotguns are plenty accurate enough but may or may not shoot point of aim. Some are picky what they shoot and you may have to shop around for the right slug which gets expensive. Most I ever dealt with liked the old Forrester type.

Etanner

Button Buck
Many smoothbore shotguns are plenty accurate enough but may or may not shoot point of aim. Some are picky what they shoot and you may have to shop around for the right slug which gets expensive. Most I ever dealt with liked the old Forrester type.

What do you mean by point of aim?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What do you mean by point of aim?

I mean when you look down the barrel and line up the target or what you want to hit with the bead it may hit a foot or more off from there.

That is an example of not hitting POA.

Last edited:

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you have to ask, go with buckshot. I don't mean that in a bad way but you're gonna want to be sure of where you're shooting when there's the possibility of a pair of 4" cutters attached to a pissed off pig between your legs. You still need to shoot a few to pattern them.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
If you see the word "sabot" on a box of slugs and don't have a rifled shogun barrel (slug barrel), your wasting your time. Ain't gonna hurt nothing shooting them, but with the sabot, it needs the spin from the rifling. Where as a "rifled slug" gets the spin from the bullet itself instead of the rifling in the barrel.

Etanner

Button Buck
If you have to ask, go with buckshot. I don't mean that in a bad way but you're gonna want to be sure of where you're shooting when there's the possibility of a pair of 4" cutters attached to a pissed off pig between your legs. You still need to shoot a few to pattern them.

Thanks for the advice. I've never messed with slugs before as my deer hunting is all bow or rifle hunting. I'll stick to the buckshot

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a Browning A-5 with a buck special barrel that shoots very well. But only with Brenneke slugs. They rest you will do well to keep in a pie plate.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I have a Browning A-5 with a buck special barrel that shoots very well. But only with Brenneke slugs. They rest you will do well to keep in a pie plate.

HUGE fan of brenneke slugs,,,,,,been using them since the 70s,,,,,,,,,,

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
HUGE fan of brenneke slugs,,,,,,been using them since the 70s,,,,,,,,,,
Yep, cut my teeth on them on Bragg where I had to use slugs in many places. After I got used to them I kinda liked them and I couldn't count the deer that old shotgun has killed.

I later bought a rifled barrel and tried longer range stuff but wound up going back to it. It shot well enough for me.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I had a Stevens 311 with cylinder barrels (cut down to 18.5") that would stack two of them at 40 yds,,,,,,,beyond that they weren't regulated

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had a Stevens 311 with cylinder barrels (cut down to 18.5") that would stack two of them at 40 yds,,,,,,,beyond that they weren't regulated
With that luck you should have bought a lottery ticket. Seldom if ever have I seen many SBS shoot slugs. I have seen a few O/U do it. My dad had a 20 ga that would.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I really liked that gun,,,,bought it used at the long defunct Quakerneck guns (in the Bordeaux shopping center) in Fayetteville,,1982,,,,,for rabbits,,,,,tried it with slugs on a whim after it wouldn't pattern buckshot worth a hoot past 10 yds

Anyhow - excuse the sidebar hijack

Last edited: