Cartridge Length

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I made my first batch of ammo with my Lee Challenger. 308 with Hornady Interlock 150s and 44.0gr of Varget. Overall I guess it turned out pretty well. But even leaving each die in place for every round for that particular step, I got variables in overall length. 2.792-2.803. Any ideas on how to get them more uniform? And my manual says for this load the minimum should be 2.800, though I have seen other sources saying differently- my BLR chambers the rounds closest to 2.795 the easiest, shorter and longer take a little more pressure to close the bolt. Thoughts from all you experienced reloaders?

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
How are you determining you oal? If you are measuring to the tip you will see that much variance with the interlocks. Need to measure you oal from the ogive. That will be a better indicator of uniformity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
How are you determining you oal? If you are measuring to the tip you will see that much variance with the interlocks. Need to measure you oal from the ogive. That will be a better indicator of uniformity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This ^^^^^^

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
It will only be soo close based on your bullets and also your gear.

If you want them to be closer that is where a heavy press pays off like the RCBS summit press.

You also need to build the ammo based on the gun for OAL to feed and chamber for match quality.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
BTW did you trim each case the same.
That can change OAL If you crimp ammo. The brass will flex and push back.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Curiosity questions...Are you full length or neck sizing? Small base dies or regular dies?

<>< Fish

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Bryguy and JLove hit it on the head. Bullets are seated by the ogive not the tip, so that is where you want to measure them from. I don't care what kind of press you have the inconsistency of the bullets will be a variable you can't over come. I will also bet, unless you are shooting extreme distances will you ever know the difference and even then maybe not, being the bullet would be making the same distance jump before engaging the rifling. Same powder charge, same bullet travel to rifling = same chamber pressure, bullet exits the barrel in the same amount of time. Proper timing and barrel harmonics in general is what makes an accurate load. Yes, there are other variables and this is over simplified, but its just the gest of an accurate load.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I made my first batch of ammo with my Lee Challenger. 308 with Hornady Interlock 150s and 44.0gr of Varget. Overall I guess it turned out pretty well. But even leaving each die in place for every round for that particular step, I got variables in overall length. 2.792-2.803. Any ideas on how to get them more uniform? And my manual says for this load the minimum should be 2.800, though I have seen other sources saying differently- my BLR chambers the rounds closest to 2.795 the easiest, shorter and longer take a little more pressure to close the bolt. Thoughts from all you experienced reloaders?

if your seating to touch the lands the longer OAL ones would chamber harder,,,,,with you saying it's the shorter and longer are taking more pressure,,,,,,,speaks to the shoulder more than anything to me,,,,

as someone else asked - you FL sizing or neck sizing?

DaddyRat

Four Pointer
Your gun should not have any issues chambering the rounds up too 2.803. The max recommended length for a 308 is 2.80. I go to 2.85 regularly and have seated to 2.90 without hitting the lands. As others have said, your issues of closing the bolt is a resizing problem not and OAL problem. Lever action guns are full length resizing only, no neck sizing.

Now, as to wanting to get more uniform lengths, measure off the ogive. But, your .011 difference in OAL is not going to make hill of beans difference yet in your reloading and definitely not with a 150 Hornady Interlock and a lever action rifle. Welcome to a hobby that can drive you nuts with the details. Go shoot your loads and have fun.

Last edited: