State cobia regs

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Here's the newest regulations on Cobia.

NC Marine Fisheries Commission sets cobia season May 1-Aug 31, 36" fork length, 1 fish per person a day, 4 fish per boat a day. But here's the kicker every Cobia; Charter & recreational must be weighed in at a North Carolina official citation station to be recorded and it's mandatory.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Yea a few of my buddies who do charters went to the meeting and are pretty fired up about it. I'm all for good conservation but the things the board comes up with just don't make much sense. You can thank Joe Shute for the weight in, apparently he proposed that idea and they went with it.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
That idea is right up there in the stupidest things I've seen come from the NCMFC and there's plenty of their rules I disagree with.

How in the world is that going to be enforced? Are they going to require every person that cobia fishes to have a tag like deer hunting?

Ridiculous.

Last edited:

23mako

Ten Pointer
Well at least they will have accurate data on landing instead of the abstract bass ackwards stuff that he the feds have been doing the last few years.

Only thing that will suck is hauling that sucker to a weigh station. Would be nice if they had scales setup at the boat ramps. OR if you could report landings by telephone and give the length and girth of the fish to determine weight.

Last edited: