Creek Boat for Waterfowl and Freshwater Fishing

ascain

Button Buck
This past duck season my friend got a M80 Creek Boat for hunting. I haven't tried it but he seems to really like it. I like that its small for maneuvering around wood duck holes and it's very lightweight and stable. Also, it slides in a 6' truck bed with tailgate down really easy. I started looking at buying one but I'm 6' 1" and weigh about 270. The capacity on the M80 is only 300# so I know I'll be over that with waders, gun, blind bad, decoys, etc. That made me look at the M98 and that boat also gives you the option for a trolling motor. Not practical for wood duck holes, but I feel like it would be great for floating creeks and small rivers.

I still haven't bought one and now that we're headed into spring I'm thinking I may want it to pull double duty and be small, lightweight and maneuverable for duck hunting, but still be able to fish off of it. I like the live well on the M10 but don't know if it would take up too much room for duck hunting gear. Anybody have any experience with these? Anyone ever had one pull double duty?

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
I brought my M98 in early January. I hunted it pretty hard after getting it. I floated some backwaters with that had some small areas of whitewater and a couple of small falls or shoots where the water level dropped a couple of feet. This little boat handled the trips very well and was very stable.
It handles a couple dozen decoys and gear without trouble and paddles well. I look forward to hitting the water fishing with it soon and believe it will be an excellent fishing kayak/boat.
I looked long and hard at the M10 as well and it can be ordered without the live well, but I figured I didn't want the extra weight for when having to go a long way from the truck on public land.
Someone else that you could ask about the creekboats is fowlplayn. He is about 6ft 4 and is a hefty guy. He loves the M98 and is the one that talked me into getting one.

Jack's PA

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I just bought an M80, but haven't put it in the water yet.

I know Snakeskinner has an M80 and he really likes his.

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
Get the M98 and never look back. No reason it wouldn't work for small woody holes. They're so light we just throw ours on our shoulder and walk into the hole with it. Used mine flounder gigging, floating ponds and creeks, and then hunt swamps and small lakes with it in the fall. For the cost they are awesome little boats and that cart that CountryRN showed a pic of really expands your possibilities.

dpoutdoor

Ten Pointer
Get the M98 and never look back. No reason it wouldn't work for small woody holes. They're so light we just throw ours on our shoulder and walk into the hole with it. Used mine flounder gigging, floating ponds and creeks, and then hunt swamps and small lakes with it in the fall. For the cost they are awesome little boats and that cart that CountryRN showed a pic of really expands your possibilities.

How stable is the M98?

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I suggest you try one before you buy it if possible. There is no way I would ever stand up in my M80. In fact, i tried a turkey chair with it one time and almost turned it over. You have to sit on the bottom. The trade off is in weight. Other "kayaks" and the "stealth" boats are great and very stable but they weigh significantly more. If you are able to launch a boat from the truck then you can use those heavier boats. I never launch mine from my truck so I need a boat that is light and I give up stability because of it. I have wheels that allow me to haul it through the woods or down a path to reach the water. I couldn't do that with a heavy boat. Also, I've crossed many beaver dams in the M80. Sometimes I have to get out and haul it over and other times I am able to split my paddles and "ski pole" my way over it. I could not do that with a heavy boat like a kayak or stealth boat. I bought the M80 for the price but would get a M98 if it ever came available used. The M80 is 36lbs and the M98 is 44lbs.

Last edited:

ascain

Button Buck
Thanks for all the responses. I may get the M98. One question I just thought about though, does it have positive floatation? As in, worst case scenario, if it gets swamped, will it still float? Anyone have any experience with this?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
there is no floatation that I see other than the plastic,,,,,,,

may take mine down to the pond and sink it as that is a good question that I don't know the answer to,,,,,

HuntinCop

Twelve Pointer
I have the M11...It's light but nearly twice as heavy as the others but it has a seat and live well included. I wish mine had the electronic trolling motor but that is too rich for my blood!

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have one of the much older models of Creek Boats, and it has built in "air pockets" in the front and rear. However, I've never had to test them out...even with my Boykin Spaniel on board with me.

JD1107

I owned a m10 for about a year before selling it to upgrade to a momarsh. It served its purpose well for fishing and hunting. I ran a trolling motor a few times on the river going against the current, but usually just paddled. Removed the livewell and installed a boat seat to it which was a nice addition for those long days.

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

Last edited:

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
The question and answer section of the creekboats website says that the boat does have floatation foam and will float is swamped.