Septic system alternatives?

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Gotta be someone here in the business, does anybody know of any legal, approved alternatives to the traditional toilet and septic tank? Sold my place here (actually sold it twice in four days but that's another story...) and hopefully I'm gonna be moving at the end of next month. I spent most my last 7 years in Florida totally off-grid, loved it, and I'll more than likely go back off-grid as much as possible. Even on ground that perks well and lends itself to a conventional septic system, the freakin' cost is damn near unbearable when two 55 gallon plastic barrels and a good drainfield is plenty. But hey, I grew up just fine dealing with outhouses....

I've got power, heat, and refrigeration handled, water is a piece of cake, but there just has to be a workable alternative to a septic system that'll pass code....

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you are going to have electric it will be interesting. But you already touched on what will work. In that sand a big plastic barrel with holes will last years for a one person household. We have a camper and for two with limited use taking showers and using it for "basics" it has lasted for years.

If you can get them to set you a "temporary" pole then do your stuff afterwards you will have it made.

I forgot to add, wrap your barrel with landscape fabric so bermuda grass roots doesn't wrap around it and clog your drain holes if you don't make a drain field. Some of the guys where we were didn't and after a few years had to go back and dig their barrels back out and do that. Little smellier the second time. LOL

All this ISN'T legal BTW.

Last edited:

waxhaw

Six Pointer
What about a composting toilet? Sink and laundry still considered gray water? If so then it can just drain outside !

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
I'm not 100% sure, but I'd bet that to be legal you're gonna have to have a conventional septic system.
There're different types of toilet systems that would work, incinerating being one, but you still have to have an approved system for gray water.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
waxhaw and nchunter, guess I need to make a trip to the County offices. I was under the assumption that grey water could be discharged onto the ground.....maybe not.

I've looked at incinerating toilets because I know the State uses them. The primary site so far would absolutely require a mound system, that's what I'm trying to avoid....

Eric Revo, I like that idea best....but it's not my land, it would be a lifetime estate.

BR549

Twelve Pointer
LongRifle -

I'd suggest starting here then go from there!

f9787613fe75d2e6c7128b527260158c.jpg