Are there different levels to sneaking or trespassing?

HorNhnTr

Twelve Pointer
I found a climber today when I went up to start and refresh all my lucky buck mineral sites. It's not 50yds from a site I've had the last 2 years and wasn't there at the end of bow or during ml... I don't think. Reason I say it wasn't was because I had a lot of daylight pictures of some nice deer. It's in an area I know someone is not only trespassing but they're getting dropped off to hunt there. No houses close and I never saw or see sign of parking close by. I've been respectful about stands I've found by placing a poster on a tree and giving someone a chance to take it down or lose it.
This past year I lost a camera that decided to walk off a tree... guess I've had enough... didn't leave a poster this time just took the stand. I've maybe fixed the problem or opened a can of worms.

How would you have handled it?

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would take the stands. Leave a memo on the tree that trespassing will not be tolerated. I hate that for you. I hope I don't start having those kind of problems up there.

Last edited:

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
If you have it posted clearly and someone is ignoring the signs and sneaking on the property then I think you did the right thing.
I doubt they'll get in touch and ask for the stand back. I'd leave em a thank you note.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
I'd like my stand back please!

In all seriousness, most of our property lines are either roads or creeks, so I put little credence in "mistakes". We have very few problems with trespassing from still hunters, but if I saw the stand, I'd take it and call the neighbors and tell them I had it if they had the gall to come pick it up.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Never taken a stand but don't see a problem with it. But I'd leave a contact number so if person wanted stand back they could explain why it was there.

HorNhnTr

Twelve Pointer
Never taken a stand but don't see a problem with it. But I'd leave a contact number so if person wanted stand back they could explain why it was there.

I always did that with the posters and they never called me they just took stands down. Since I feel this guy was getting dropped off to hunt I'm gonna make him work for his stand. I'll give it back if he calls but he's gonna have to work to get my number. Prolly go back up in next few weeks to freshen up the posters on the road front.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
I posted on here some time back of a guy hunting on land that I own.First day of ML season years ago I got to my permanent stand site and someone had been in my stand (gate unlocked, coke can, candy wrapper) well I wrote them a note and taped it to the seat...went back few days later and it had been read by the scum. Note said " When you read this note you got a problem.How you going to get down. Chances are I am watching you right now and my problem solved when you put your foot on that bottom step....think about it as you come down. I am a very deadly shot and you will just disappear from face of earth. Now if you walk away...it was your day. But sooner or later it will be my day. Think about it son...I am a mean man." Well, he read that note and I hunted my stand remainder if season with no trace of the scum.

boomer

Twelve Pointer
I had a problem with slip in hunters and when I found their stands ,I would take them down, and put up a note telling them I have their stand and if they want it back they could call me and explain why they were hunting my property without my permission. No one every called and it did not take long for them to learn to stay off my property.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I'm not leaving any notes or paper on my place. I'm taking the stand and going on. Could be a great way to get a good collection of stands if they are dumb enough to keep coming back and leaving more stands. If you post them cheap enough on craigslist you can make a little money.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I'm not leaving any notes or paper on my place. I'm taking the stand and going on. Could be a great way to get a good collection of stands if they are dumb enough to keep coming back and leaving more stands. If you post them cheap enough on craigslist you can make a little money.
Let me know if you get one of the big summit climbers.

I'm looking a deal on a good used one...

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Take the stand and leave a note saying they were trespassing and if they want tbeir stand back come see you.

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
I usually leave a stand....twisted around a tree with a tractor and chain...just saying'! Don't want to be called a thief...

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
if it was my land i would do whatever i felt like based on the circumstances, if it was land i was leasing i would ask the landowner what he wanted done in the situation.

Last edited:

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If its on your land w/o permission, the trespasser has no rights: as they say, "possession is 9/10ths of the law."

If I left a note at all, it would be to say he could collect his stand from the local Game Warden, along with his summons.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Then there are those that think, the No Trespassing signs did not mean them, they have hunted that land all their life.

Sent from my VK410 using Tapatalk

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
If its on your land w/o permission, the trespasser has no rights: as they say, "possession is 9/10ths of the law."

If I left a note at all, it would be to say he could collect his stand from the local Game Warden, along with his summons.

I've done a variety of things before including using a cordless reciprocating saw to cut a stand up or to cut the ladder off it while leaving the remainder hanging in the tree but now I just take the stand and leave them a note that they can get the stand back by calling the local Environmental Conservation Officers ..... And I'm fine that they know that I have their stand.

I have absolutely zero patience with slob hunters.

Lance