Camping on the beach

BengalTiger

Six Pointer
Is there a beach in NC where you can camp on the beach and surf fish? Being able to build a campfire would be a plus.
Thanks

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Hammocks Beach State Park (Bear Island) they have a shuttle boat to take you over and pic you up when you are read.

Last edited:

23mako

Ten Pointer
Before you go to any of those places be sure to read the regulations and rules. The rules also change throughout the year on which part of the island is closed etc.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Is there a beach in NC where you can camp on the beach and surf fish? Being able to build a campfire would be a plus.
Thanks

Carolina Beach has a fairly new system for camping in Freeman Park. You must reserve campsites otherwise you cannot remain on the beach overnight. And it ain't that cheap if you ask me. But the fishing can be pretty good there depending on the season.

BengalTiger

Six Pointer
Thanks for the feedback guys. We are looking at Bear Island and Freeman Park. Any experiences good or bad at either of them?

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Freeman you can drive to. Bear is shuttle, canoe or yak to and tote or drag your gear to the ocean side.

Sent from my VK410 using Tapatalk

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
In the old days we camped on Cape Lookout in the woods at the base of the light house. Took boats over from Harker's Island. Used the public restrooms. Tied boats at ferry dock to unload, then anchored them just off the beach. Not sure you can still do all that or not.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
In the old days we camped on Cape Lookout in the woods at the base of the light house. Took boats over from Harker's Island. Used the public restrooms. Tied boats at ferry dock to unload, then anchored them just off the beach. Not sure you can still do all that or not.

You can still do this. There is a sign on the sound side beach to the left of the dock saying you have to camp beyond the sign.

FYI did you know the trees planted there were planted by the Boy Scouts in the 1950's-1960's?

<>< Fish

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Before you go to any of those places be sure to read the regulations and rules. The rules also change throughout the year on which part of the island is closed etc.

Very good advice campsites are quite a walk from where the shuttle lands on Bear Island from Hammocks Beach State Park and they charge to camp there. Those sites are right next to Bogue Inlet..On the other end of Bear Island I saw the park ranger almost give a ticket to a guy who pulled his boat up on the beach to do a little routine maintenance to it, he was traveling by water in a small boat.. The ranger told the boater he couldn't pull out there I thought the ranger was being a bit unreasonable with the boater but it was what it was at the time.. I don't think you can camp just anyplace on Bear Island, best to ask someone who knows for sure what you can and can't do there..