AKC Lab Puppies.... Or not?

Sawyer205

Six Pointer
I have a question for the Lab guru's....

I found some AKC registered black lab pups for sale locally.... Dad is a yellow and mom is a black lab. There are approximately 7 males and 2 females.

Here's my question.... Two of the male puppies have a small white patch on their chest/neck area. About the size of fat pencil but they are just over a week old. Would you be concerned they aren't pure breed even though they are AKC registered?

Thanks!

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
I wouldn't be concerned at all, unless I was looking a show dog.
It's not uncommon.
Disclaimer:I'm not a guru, but I did stay at a holiday inn once.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
I am with nchunter here. If it's small, I wouldn't worry too much. I have seen AKC lab puppies with white patches on their chest, tail and/or paws.

Last edited:

deerslyr30-06

Old Mossy Horns
Our lab had a small white patch on her chest when we got her as a puppy. It eventually went away, or just got concealed by the rest of her hair.

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
White spots do occur on labs and do not disqualify a pup from the AKC. Here is what they say about the lab coloration for the breed standard:

"A small white spot on the chest is permissible, but not desirable."

Here is a link to the official breed standard description: http://images.akc.org/pdf/breeds/st...ver.pdf?_ga=1.222019099.2091292492.1487622267 .

The breeder should provide you with a form from the AKC where they registered the litter. You can then submit that form along with your information and fee (of course) if you want to register the pup.

Here is a link to learn more: http://www.akc.org/register/

Regardless of AKC breed standards, unless you want to breed or show the pup one day then the real test would be if the parents exhibit traits you would want in a pup.

Regards,

Hunter

Last edited:

Avery Creek

Twelve Pointer
Often times they are called bolo marks, it's fairly common and is not a mismark or disqualifying factor. I had a chocolate pup in a litter we had that has a white stripe down his chest.

It's called a bolo mark after Banchory Bolo, who was a dual champion back in the early 1920's and a lot of his offspring had the mark. It can be on the chest or the bottom of their feet and often times there are some white hairs in the tail.

As they grow it may or may not be visible.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I'd be more concerned that the parents had their health clearances. IE hips, eyes and genetic diseases.

Cootmeurer

Six Pointer
I'd be more concerned that the parents had their health clearances. IE hips, eyes and genetic diseases.

THIS!

AKC means very little, they don't even enforce the breed standard. I would want to see the parental pedigree, health clearances, and see both parents.

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
Yea... akc doesn't mean squat! Check health records of parent, hunting qualities etc. some of the worst labs I have hunted with were $1000+ dogs. Some of the best were run of the mill labs. The proof is in the parents!

Avery Creek

Twelve Pointer
THIS!

AKC means very little, they don't even enforce the breed standard. I would want to see the parental pedigree, health clearances, and see both parents.

Okay I get you want to see a pedigree and you want to see health clearances, but why is it important to "see both parents"?

Yea... akc doesn't mean squat! Check health records of parent, hunting qualities etc. some of the worst labs I have hunted with were $1000+ dogs. Some of the best were run of the mill labs. The proof is in the parents!

Pleas elaborate on "hunting qualities etc" and how you "check" that?

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Okay I get you want to see a pedigree and you want to see health clearances, but why is it important to "see both parents"?

Pleas elaborate on "hunting qualities etc" and how you "check" that?
If you haven't been able to hunt with one or both parents, (and most of us don't) then hunt titles like a SH, MH, HRCH etc are a good way to go. Nothing in life is certain, but it sure beats trusting the guy. Anyone with a dog and a good day of hunting can take a tailgate picture with a limit of mallards.

"Mom and Dad are great hunters" means whatever the breeder wants it to mean.

Ncgundogs

Spike
Titles don't always give you what your looking for if the parents are FC or AFC those dogs have a tendency to be high strung and don't make the best house dogs or gun dogs (not always just my observation)because of that my opinion on why both parents matter is because the pups get 50% DNA from the sire and 50% from the dam so the natural traits they display come directly from the parents and the rest of there pedigree I think in labs you have 2 things that are a factor natural ability and training the first part come from bloodline the second comes from you or whoever trains the dog and just a little FYI don't be fooled by the breeders with a fancy website most of the well known breeders don't have to put a ton of money in a website to sale dogs

Last edited: