Are we done w/ Winter?

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
woke up yesterday morning to find a light dusting of pollen on my truck. Can't remember ever seeing pollen this early.

15 day forecast (I know, I know) shows daytime low of 58*, nighttime low of 37*. Who thinks we're in the clear? Who thinks we'll see Ol' Man Winter return in March?

Boojum

Ten Pointer
Most of the biggest snows I've ever seen in my life have been in March and April, along with a couple in early May. We usually get frost here until nearly mid-May. Winter ain't over by a long shot.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
woke up yesterday morning to find a light dusting of pollen on my truck. Can't remember ever seeing pollen this early.

15 day forecast (I know, I know) shows daytime low of 58*, nighttime low of 37*. Who thinks we're in the clear? Who thinks we'll see Ol' Man Winter return in March?

yes we are done.

feel free to remind me when we are knee deep in april. LOL

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It's still early. I seem to remember we had a period of warm weather last winter, too. Trees and plants budded and flowered, and then we had a heavy frost in April.......

Boojum

Ten Pointer
I can remember when I was a kid, people usually did their plowing during "that nice pretty spell in February." :)

skydog

It's not uncommon to get some nice days in February, but nothing like what we've had this month.

I think we'll get a 'cold' snap in the first half of March (40s and 50s) but I don't think we'll see any snow or ice.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
For the most part I'd say we are done. I don't look for anymore snow or ice but I suspect we will see another cold snap or at least a heavy frost.

mcg0958

I just moved down here this weekend. When can I expect the bass to start biting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I think theres gonna be one more good snow late/early March/April

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Most of the biggest snows I've ever seen in my life have been in March and April, along with a couple in early May. We usually get frost here until nearly mid-May. Winter ain't over by a long shot.

Down east here we have had our ice/snow events usually in March. This is a crazy winter. It will be 80 this weekend?

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Trump shortened the winter season, he didn't like the regulations requiring it to run at least 90 days. A boon for summer investors.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I just moved down here this weekend. When can I expect the bass to start biting?

Others can probably help more but when I first moved here years ago someone told me the spawn generally starts when the bradford pear trees start blooming......seems to be fairly accurate from what I have seen but I dont fish as much as I would like to these days.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes, it is looking pretty mild for the foreseeable future,...BUT, in my humble experience, Ole Man Winter will still have a trick or two up his sleeve, and will rear his ugly head like a jack-in-the-box before it's all over with. That will be unfortunate since stuff is already beginning to bloom and leaf out.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns

I'm dating myself here , but I remember missing a lot of school in March of ( IIIRC ) 1960.....3 Wednesdays in a row !

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Overall the long range pattern forecast see more of the same.....could be a cold shot the first week of March.....and its certainly possible to get snow after March 1st but honestly outside of the Mts the chances of snow in March is pretty slim....I was born in 1972 and since then there was 1980 and 1984 that saw appreciable snow but other than that there hasn't been more than a 1" here or there in March and they are few and far in between. Heck back 8-10 yrs ago we had a quick 1-2" snow squall Easter weekend like April 7th or 8th...its the latest that Greenville has ever received a 1" snowfall.....but again that's more or less a once in a lifetime type thing around here lol.

The reason its so warm is the jet stream over the Pacific Ocean is blasting into the west coast pretty far south compared to average.....hence all the drought busting flooding California is getting, its basically allowing a trough to stay in place over the west coast....this in turn forces the "flow" over the US to be zonal and west to east and fast.....this basically means the airmasses we are getting come from the west not the north keeping the cold air bottled up in Canada and the Rockies... the Pac jet is modeled to breaks down a bit later in the period allowing it to drift back north into southern Canada this will allow more ridging out west and more of a trough in the east...so don't go planting a garden just yet.....we should still see a few night with temps well into the 20's in March. Here is the latest GFS model run loop of temps for the US for the next 16 days.....it does change quite a bit run to run though after 6-7 days.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/anal...g=T2m&runtime=2017022118&fh=0&xpos=0&ypos=132

DaddyRat

Four Pointer
I have gone fishing in Cherokee on the last weekend in March for the last 29 years. Sometime I am in shorts and a t shirt wet wading, sometimes I am breaking ice off my rod and a time or 2 there has been 18 inches of snow on the ground. Blizzard or 1993 was in March. Hard to say about this year but March can be a fickle bitch.

witler

Eight Pointer
I'm dating myself here , but I remember missing a lot of school in March of ( IIIRC ) 1960.....3 Wednesdays in a row !
I remember that in Durham area, was 10 then. Hard crust on top of snow, could ride our bikes on top of it. Those were the days.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm usually skeptical but it looks like it's over based on the long term forecast. I'm sure we will have a cold snap in March but true winter is done. I guess the groundhog didn't see his shadow after all.

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I cut my front yard on Monday wearing shorts and a t shirt; not sure I have ever cut grass or worn shorts in February.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Feb 1977,,,,my wife was wearing shorts and barefoot working in the field (cutting mustard greens i think) when she went into labor with my oldest,,,,

As others have said ,,,, Feb always (never say always?) has warm spells

Last edited: