Are we done w/ Winter?

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
So say we do get "slammed" again by winter. Hard hard freeze anyways, regardless of precipitation.

What would the damage be?

I have heard that strawberries are already blooming, they could be lost.

But what else? What happens to trees that are "blooming"? Obviously, this isn't the first time this has happened, and nature recovered, but what is worst case scenario for this year?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
So say we do get "slammed" again by winter. Hard hard freeze anyways, regardless of precipitation.

What would the damage be?

I have heard that strawberries are already blooming, they could be lost.

But what else? What happens to trees that are "blooming"? Obviously, this isn't the first time this has happened, and nature recovered, but what is worst case scenario for this year?

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Or maybe a few crops lost,,,,,,,

Last edited:

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
30 plus inches in Onslow County all the way to the beaches on March 1 1980

I was 5 years old and trapped in the house with Chicken Pox. To this day, I remember how badly I wanted to go outside to play in the snow, but for some reason my mother thought it best for me to stay in.

Songdoghunter

Twelve Pointer
Started on Sunday around lunch and snowed till about 5 am Monday with Thunder snow and lightning all night! 5 days later it was 70 degrees

davidson county

Eight Pointer
as everyone else has said.
have seen strange weather for a long time so nothing really surprising. also have seen when things over produce like the acorns did last year. the next tear it is a lot less.
i guess it is nature way of working things out.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Last Saturday of rabbit season and it's 66 degrees at 9:40. Sucks!! Oh well. We have a grill and burgers and red hots. More about the dogs, friends, and fellowship.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
I'm usually skeptical but it looks like it's over based on the long term forecast. I'm sure we will have a cold snap in March but true winter is done. I guess the groundhog didn't see his shadow after all.

Only in America, do we accept weather predictions from a rodent, but ignore climate-change evidence from scientists

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Or maybe a few crops lost,,,,,,,

Hahahaha .... gotta love Bill Murray

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
yeap,,,,thermometer said 26 here,,,,could be lying though but frost everywhere,,,,,,

jim67

Eight Pointer
Only in America, do we accept weather predictions from a rodent, but ignore climate-change evidence from scientists

Is it climate change? or "global warming" they keep changing the name. When I was being indoctrinated in public school back in the 70s, there was another ice age coming, then "global warming" now "climate change. I guess "climate change" paints a brooder brush. yes, the climate does and will change, and keep on changing as it has 1000s of years ago, and how do they know what the weather was 200 yrs ago? Sorry, but I cant let this go without saying something, I don't believe in man made climate change.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
It's getting warmer. Thats without question.

Man made? Not sure.

But I support every profitable means of using renewable energy.

I'm not stupid. If an idling vehicle will kill humans, and plants inside a contained envirment, then it stands to reason that hundreds of millions of those very vessels will alter the course of nature.

But that's just common sense.

I also stand to believe it matters not what WE (USA) do, unless it's profitable, because India and China will always take the cheap way out.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns

Man made? Not sure.

I'm not stupid. If an idling vehicle will kill humans, and plants inside a contained envirment, then it stands to reason that hundreds of millions of those very vessels will alter the course of nature.

I also stand to believe it matters not what WE (USA) do, unless it's profitable, because India and China will always take the cheap way out.

I'd love to get some solar panels on our farm. Agree with you about the effects of emissions and China. But one day, fossil fuels will be gone. Then folks will be more dependent on "green" energy. Once I calculated how many gallons of gas my oldest truck used total. It was a lot. Heck, my newest truck has burned around 15 583.33333333 gallons of gasoline.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns

Man made? Not sure.

Good post, the CO2 cycle is a natural one, and we are taking a lot of CO2 the earth had naturally sequestered away in the form of oil/gas and releasing that unnaturally into the atmosphere, it is certainly having an affect. How much is hard to say we are already in a warming period and will be for another 10K years at least.....

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Man made? Not sure.

Good common sense approach.

The ultimate solution rises in the East every morning, unlimited solar energy that can supply the total needs of earth forever. And we can harness the energy of the sun; we just need to focus our efforts in a "Manhattan style " project.

DJinNC

Banned
My son was born March 25 2001. That day was about seasonable, but at Some point earlier that week it snowed and there were some snow mounds still around in the parking lots of REX and when he was released, I recall it being very cold and windy.. He was premature and we ere trying to get into target and the wind was ripping and we had on thick coats.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like a hard freeze Sat night low to mid 20's for most of NC, then a brief warm up for a few days and then maybe a 3-4 day stretch of highs in the 40-50 range with lows below freezing 2-4 nights in a row.....the pattern does look to change early March back to seasonal weather with the warmer days being mixed in but cooler ( average for this time of year) weather be more predominate.....