Gun owners waiting for passage of Hearing Protection Act

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
With bills in both chambers of Congress to deregulate suppressors from National Firearms Act restrictions, the nation’s largest gun rights group warns action in the first 100 days is unlikely.

NRATV anchor Grant Stinchfield cautioned about the “unintended consequence” of the Hearing Protection Act— that customers are waiting it out and not pulling the trigger on planned suppressor purchases.

http://www.guns.com/2017/02/21/nra-advises-sober-thoughts-on-hearing-protection-act-video/

Harpoon

I'm seeing this more and more...."dont wait for HPA to pass"!

Companies may be out of business.

Seems like they would be in the same boat when everyone has bought one or two after HPA passes(?)

What a strange angle they have taken...not like they are making components for space flight.

oteixeira

Four Pointer
Actually, they don't want you to wait because once they are deregulated most gun makers will make them and the price will drop. You will be able to go into any good gun store and buy one like you buy an AR lower today. Because of the lack of hassle, more companies will make them, etc, etc. I will wait it out, and when the prices drop I may get one or three. The thing is I don't NEED a suppressor, so why would I jump through all the hoops out there now and pay a premium when I can wait.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Actually, they don't want you to wait because once they are deregulated most gun makers will make them and the price will drop. You will be able to go into any good gun store and buy one like you buy an AR lower today. Because of the lack of hassle, more companies will make them, etc, etc. I will wait it out, and when the prices drop I may get one or three. The thing is I don't NEED a suppressor, so why would I jump through all the hoops out there now and pay a premium when I can wait.
Yeap.. there are several companies that make this their niche. Once this passes you might be able to go into wal-mart and buy one.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
And think about it.

You will be able to make your own for almost nothing...

They will be cheap everyplace

Last edited:

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
^^^^Yep. I've got a couple precision machine outfits as customers and all of them basically tell me I can bring them any can I want after deregulation, and they can make an exact copy down to the NM with their metrology and milling equipment out of Ti for $100

Heck they've got metrology machines in house that will basically write the program for the mill as it scans data points. Cool stuff.

Hopefully the regulation burden for homemade will lessen as will with just sending in forms and a serial...

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
^^^^Yep. I've got a couple precision machine outfits as customers and all of them basically tell me I can bring them any can I want after deregulation, and they can make an exact copy down to the NM with their metrology and milling equipment out of Ti for $100

Heck they've got metrology machines in house that will basically write the program for the mill as it scans data points. Cool stuff.

Hopefully the regulation burden for homemade will lessen as will with just sending in forms and a serial...

That would make them a MFG for the controlled items and not legal.
Same as building lowers or guns.

You do it it is fine, someone else or a shop then need a MFG stamp.

Last edited:

ridenismo

Six Pointer
once its legal, ill click the green button. That makes me the manufacturer right? My micro lathe with be turning and burning them for every threaded barrel i have in the safe, my hearing is damn near shot so any help i can get is a bonus.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
once its legal, ill click the green button. That makes me the manufacturer right? My micro lathe with be turning and burning them for every threaded barrel i have in the safe, my hearing is damn near shot so any help i can get is a bonus.

If you own the shop and equipment then you can turn them out for yourself only.... All you want.
just can not make for others with out a tax stamp and paying tax for the MFG FFL.

They could change it but who knows...
It would be cheaper to buy the parts and finish or use parts that can be had at hardware store to make for most.

Last edited:

double

Twelve Pointer
Beleieve the price will drop mark up on suppressors at most places is unreal. Lots of time in the 60-100% range. Where as guns are generally 10-12%

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If you own the shop and equipment then you can turn them out for yourself only.... All you want.
just can not make for others with out a tax stamp and paying tax for the MFG FFL.

They could change it but who knows...
It would be cheaper to buy the parts and finish or use parts that can be had at hardware store to make for most.
They are talking about removing all restrictions thus making it another accessory. If it still remains controlled like guns then the machine shops can rent it out to you and then you load the material and push the button. You are then the manufacturer.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
They are talking about removing all restrictions thus making it another accessory. If it still remains controlled like guns then the machine shops can rent it out to you and then you load the material and push the button. You are then the manufacturer.

What I was reading was it would still require a 4473.
But yes if they remove that then anything goes.

There were a few cases or problems where they were talking about renting shops or pushing the button.
It is all a catch 22 and can be fine for now but not later.

As of now there are people that make parts and pc for them and at some point they would rule on it.

My feel is they will make the inside or the tube the SN part after taken from the reg.
then you will be able to buy a SN tube for 30 to 60$ all day long and add end caps baffles, make the rest and no control as if you built it for yourself.

Anyway you look at it.. It will be a load cheaper to get.
Look at it this way.
Say there are 200k class 3 dealers, the next day there will be 1 million selling the same product. ( just using numbers not real numbers)

every shop, walmart, dicks, gander will be selling them.....And making them....

wcjones

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

That didn't work out so well for guys who did that with 80% lowers. Some machine shops got busted pretty bad for letting folks load material and push buttons.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Not sure I would remove all restrictions. I like the idea of those things being made in a controlled environment. My concern isn't about tracking, but quality. Some idiot that doesn't know what he's doing will have a homemade silencer blow up in his or somebody else's face.

the sarge

Six Pointer
No restrictions needed. If you can own the gun it's just a part of it. I don't think that will hurt the quality. If it did you'd already have crap barrels and other items on the market.