Trucks with 125-150k miles

fishinRod

Ten Pointer
I didn’t want to hi-jack the Expensive Trucks thread so I ‘ll start this one. Like many said, they will not buy a $50k truck, others on the other hand will, straight out buy or make enormous payments. Myself, like several members noted in the thread that they are debt free. I have no house payment or any loan whatsoever. I also however, have hobbies and a lifestyle that makes a truck or SUV very beneficial. With that said, those folks who regularly trade in a vehicle with 125-150k miles on a newer one every 3 or 4 years I have a question. Would you trust your trade-in to go another 30-50k without worry? I am actively looking to buy (not finance), but all I’m finding is trucks/SUVs on “buy here pay here” lots with mileage in the 150-200k range and they really don’t impress me much and I don’t trust those places to start with. I’m not looking for a daily driver, but something reliable just to pull a boat/go camping/ ect.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I'd probably start by looking for friends or neighbors that are thinking about trading in a truck to buy a $50k truck. Many of them may not be thinking of selling it themselves due to the hassle. Trading in is easier. Tell them you may be interested in buying it. Pull the retail and trade-in values and offer somewhere above the trade-in value.

fishinRod

Ten Pointer
I'd probably start by looking for friends or neighbors that are thinking about trading in a truck to buy a $50k truck. Many of them may not be thinking of selling it themselves due to the hassle. Trading in is easier. Tell them you may be interested in buying it. Pull the retail and trade-in values and offer somewhere above the trade-in value.

I've been doing that....no luck

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
I wouldn't buy from a used car lot, but I'd have no problem buying a one owner truck with 150k+ miles on it from an individual.
I'm looking for one now for my son. He's only 13, but I like to buy things at a deal (50%ish of retail) so I figured I start looking. If you're not in a hurry and are ready to jump on a deal, they can be found.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
PWR-WGN has a nice looking Ram 2500 mega cab(I think) for sale in the classifieds. Little less than 20,000 miles. Think it's a 2014.

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
My question is, "Do you EVER see anybody lifting the hood and checking their oil?"
I'll help: NO, just wait for the light or that bell thingy.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
If it's a diesel I would trust it to go well over 200,000 miles. I've known people back home with 400,000+. Certain engines (Powerstroke 6.0 comes to mind) will go that far, but will need to be rebuilt or made "bulletproof", most will require an expensive overhaul at some point in life, but there are lots of lucky folks who get that far by treating their truck well. I'd also try to buy from a private seller rather than a lot. If you're looking for a 1500 truck or gas 2500, do a lot of research and figure out which trucks have a good reputation for running that far. Good luck!

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If it's a diesel I would trust it to go well over 200,000 miles. I've known people back home with 400,000+. Certain engines (Powerstroke 6.0 comes to mind) will go that far, but will need to be rebuilt or made "bulletproof", most will require an expensive overhaul at some point in life, but there are lots of lucky folks who get that far by treating their truck well. I'd also try to buy from a private seller rather than a lot. If you're looking for a 1500 truck or gas 2500, do a lot of research and figure out which trucks have a good reputation for running that far. Good luck!
More gasoline engines than not will go relatively trouble free 150-200K if they have been maintained well. Usually the engine is the least of the problems except for the few particular engines that each major mfg. has that has their certain problems.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
My question is, "Do you EVER see anybody lifting the hood and checking their oil?"

That was one thing I was told about a lease or people that flip them and say they have a payment all their life.

They do nothing.
If you see the newer trucks and cars they say factory installed on the oil filter.
The shop I was using said they were seeing cars and trucks with 20 to 25k on them with the factory installed filter still on and marked.
I could not buy a lease or turn in vehicle. Would only buy from someone I know or trust.
Having some type of warranty is always good.

BTW guy nextdoor son got a used truck Ram 2500.CTD around 2005 about 100k
First to find it had been chipped, he drove it a few months, trans input shaft broke. That was 4k to fix. Few months later started having injector probems.
Was parked several months to get the money to buy injectors and install. Think he said he needed all 6 and not a sure fix for 400 each plus install and down time.
He now has around 20k into a truck 12 years old and worried what next.

ridenismo

Six Pointer
I have an 05 ford f150 Screw and bought it from a used car lot. Ive doubled my investment in the truck just via repairs, no joke i have 11 in it and with the NY rust it has its worth 7-8 at best. Been scouring every used car source for months looking for a 6.0 for under 10k and its tough pickings, and when you find something you better not hesitate or its GONE! From personal experience stay away from a 3V 5.4L in a ford that hasnt had EVERYTHING done....

Last edited:

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I'd say modern trucks can go 300k if maintained. My Chevy 2500 with 6.0 has 145k trouble free miles, big service at 100k but besides that really just normal maintenance and tires. Wife's old Tahoe with which we'll be getting back soon has 230k relatively trouble free miles. Had to put a new throttle body on it and a few more minor repairs after 200k. I'm guessing I'll need a tranny rebuild on the 2500 at some point but I'm hoping for 300k before it goes belly up.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I'd say modern trucks can go 300k if maintained,.

yes they can - but it may also depend on how many years it takes to put the miles on as well, as age has a factor on some parts (in my limited experience),,,,,,,

3 of my last 4 trucks have gone 300+k miles,,,,the fourth meet an early demise due to an accident,,,,,,,,,

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I bought a used 2004 Chevy Z71 1500 with about 104,000 miles a few years ago from a used car lot. Had one owner and was in really good shape visually. I had it checked by a local mechanic that I know and purchased it. I now have about 125,000 miles on it after about 2+ years and have only had to replace the tires and had the 4WD worked on (the electronic transfer switch had to be replaced). Other than that, been a great truck.

So the good ones are out there; but agree it takes some time to find and I also agree nice to find one that has had one owner and don't hesitate to get a known mechanic to check it out prior if you can.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Well, as I mentioned, my 1998 Z-71 had 17,000 miles on it when I bought it in 1999...

It now has 330,000 miles on it...I change my own oil, have the transmission fluid changed ever 20,000 and
the original transmission had 250,000 on it before it was rebuilt...

I'm expecting for this truck to go to 350,000 before thinking of buying another...

ako_deerking

Twelve Pointer
I have an 07 ram 1500... It has about 130k now. I got it with 25k. Change the oil and such. Put in new iridium plugs, new power steering pump, new battery, new water pump while I was at it. Have an issue with power steering again but the truck itself runs like a top. Has NEVER failed to start or die on me. I plan to keep it and keep on goin.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns

Don't know that I've ever checked the oil on my Tundra...it ain't leaking or smoking, so why bother? Change it when it needs it and roll on lol

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Don't know that I've ever checked the oil on my Tundra...it ain't leaking or smoking, so why bother? Change it when it needs it and roll on lol

Never checked mine either until it was destroyed by someone not paying attention with 160K miles on it. If I am questioning if I can trust it, it is time to look for a new one.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Find a late 80's F150 with a 4speed and 300 straight six. I can't say how many of those trucks make it to around 400,000 miles. I've been looking one to completely go through and have a truck that would last another 20 years. What I have seen with the newer, used vehicles is that most problems are with the sensors and computers. This bull with half the counties having emissions regulations also turns into a problem. My hunting truck is a 86.5 Nissan and I have done quite a bit of work on it myself, but I drive it about 5,000 miles a year, mostly in 3 months. I would take off anywhere on this truck, but I do have a tool box and a cell phone in it.;) I'll buy a used vehicle but it will be a pre '96.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns

I didn't either, until about 130,000 on it. Had to hunt the dipstick down. I realized I was putting a lot of trust in someone else and a gauge. It's an 08 with 183K on it hope I can double that.

I use Mobil 1 and that 1988 F-150 made me a believer in synthetics. When buying used I'll pull the dipstick and take a light and look at the top side through the oil fill. You can get a good idea if the motor had regular oil changes. Research and be aware of common problems with the models vehicles you are looking at.

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
05 GMC 1500 I bought with 137k 2 year ago. Has 165 now. Needed a tranny at 155, but that's close to all you'll get on those with the highway gearing. Replaced the starter and MAF but that's it. I change the oil with Mobil 1 synthetic around 7500 miles and the oil dumps out almost as clear as it goes in. I'll sacrifice some repair work here and there for the 57k replacement cost (I built one online similarly optioned to mine).

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Any time you buy used it's a crapshoot. If you're just looking for an "extra" vehicle and not a daily driver you'll be fine with something 150-200K. Check it out real good and talk them down.

CanAmMan

Twelve Pointer
I have a '08 Ram 1500 that I bought new, now has 179,000 miles and hope and pray it goes a few more years. All I have done is changing oil, brakes and 2 EGR valves. Runs like a charm!

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I bought my truck and it had around 100,000 miles. My dad tried to talk me out of it. That seemed to be the sweet spot for mileage and under 20k. I've had it for a little over 2 years and it is getting close to 130k miles. The only thing that has gone wrong is one of the rear passenger doors wont open.

skydog

I have no problem buying a high mileage truck for the right price. I'll take it in to my mechanic and pay him to look it over pretty good. If the seller won't let me do this, then I walk.

Last edited by a moderator:

DFisher

Eight Pointer
I am a fleet manager with 150 Chevy trucks, a few vans, Tahoe and impalas. We see transmissions typically go out at 175-200,000 miles, whether they have been serviced or not. The front suspension typically needs replacing (if you want to align it properly) at 200-225,000 and the engines are typically done at 250,000. Again, these are typical.

If buying used, the best seems to be 2 years old, 30-40,000 miles, still under factory warranty. Have any new vehicle checked by a mechanic, and wash it! You'll be surprised what you find when you wash one.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
If buying used, the best seems to be 2 years old, 30-40,000 miles, still under factory warranty. Have any new vehicle checked by a mechanic, and wash it! You'll be surprised what you find when you wash one.

How do you mean?

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
[/U][/B]
How do you mean?

I think I know. I just got a new to me truck. When you wash it for the first time you notice every little nick, dent ect and really good a good look at the truck. It may sound strange but I would consider asking the seller if I could wash the truck before purchase.

fishinRod

Ten Pointer
I am a fleet manager with 150 Chevy trucks, a few vans, Tahoe and impalas. We see transmissions typically go out at 175-200,000 miles, whether they have been serviced or not. The front suspension typically needs replacing (if you want to align it properly) at 200-225,000 and the engines are typically done at 250,000. Again, these are typical.

this is some good information, thanks

specialk

Twelve Pointer
i have only owned 11 vehicles in my life, the first being in 1982.... all were bought used. Of those eleven, three of them are still in my driveway and are driven at least once a week. i usually look at those that are 5 years old, that's when most financing runs out on new vehicles and folks get an itching to get in another ride.....by then they will have title in hand......by then the ''kinks'' have gotten worked out also......i'll look long for the right price and condition..it took me 9 months to find my last truck i bought......i always by from individuals....this has worked for me well over the years.....

Redneck Rocker Dude

Old Mossy Horns
Bought my 99 z71 with 247k. Bout to roll 270k now and all I've had to do (knock on wood) was new ball joints, new brake lines and a rebuilt transfer case. Had it for 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk