Fish finder/gps

obxfisherman83

Button Buck
Trying to get some opinions on your personal favorite fish finder/gps combo. I am getting ready to start outfitting a Carolina Skiff 258 dlv and wanting a good unit around $1500 or so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darenative

Twelve Pointer
I use and like Garmin. They seem to have the most intuitive controls, at least for ne. One thing I hate about Garmin is planned obsolescence of their products, nothing like having a $1500 paper weight 7 or 8 years down the road

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I use and like Garmin. They seem to have the most intuitive controls, at least for ne. One thing I hate about Garmin is planned obsolescence of their products, nothing like having a $1500 paper weight 7 or 8 years down the road
7-8 years? We are talking electronics. You better be tickled to death at that long. I can personally vouch that they last longer than that and they provide upgrades for them longer than that. I am running some of their stuff that is 10 years old and still can update it. But they come out every year with stuff that is bigger and better just like all of them do.

F-V_DuxNBux

Eight Pointer
I have a Lowrance gps/sonar on my skiff. I think Garmin is better on the GPS side but Lowrance on the the fish finder side. If I had the space I would run separate units.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The only thing I don't like about Garmin and this is really nitpicking, if you have a depth alarm set it goes into alarm mode and stays to you acknowledge it. Most others just flash the depth on the screen and alarm and then soon as you get in deeper water STFU.

I can live with that. As far as clarity and resolution I like Garmin better than the rest and I have owned the other big two recently. Garmin customer service has the others beat hands down.