WOW! They're going to pesticide feral pigs in TX!!

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Thats worse than the "hold my beer and watch this" kinda stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
Crazy stuff. I bet this will be short lived. Just live hunting hogs over feeders once you shoot a few they stop coming.

oteixeira

Four Pointer
The thing I will never get is they say the problem is out of control but when you look into going down there and taking a few (or more) out of their hair you can only find pay to play type places. Why in the hell would I pay to hunt your land when I am doing you the favor of removing a problem.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i think it must be fake news. Surely they arent going down that path.

of course as we speak (or at last look per field and stream)they are working on feed based contraceptives for deer that make our herd control justification for hunting obsolete.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
See here is the problem....

I would make a trip to texas and take part in some hog hunting becase they have so many....

Yet they talk of major problems and damage........

Why not have some of the hunting places charge to house you, charge to clean the hogs or help in a hunt but drop the fee for hunting.

Most want 400 to 800 plus all the extras to go kill a hog.....

Must not be much a problem if they want you to pay to fix their problems.... Most problems are pay to fix.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
The thing I will never get is they say the problem is out of control but when you look into going down there and taking a few (or more) out of their hair you can only find pay to play type places. Why in the hell would I pay to hunt your land when I am doing you the favor of removing a problem.

,,,,,,,,,Must not be much a problem if they want you to pay to fix their problems.... Most problems are pay to fix.

I know you guys know this, but most, if not all, the landowners that have a "hog problem" also have guns and hunt,,,,,,

why would they want folks they don't know on their land for free?

folks only pay for pest/varmit control if they have to (lack of knowledge, lack of tools, etc),,,,,,if you can get folks to PAY to do it for you, why it's a win for them

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Basic economics at work. If they can't grown a crop or graze cattle because of the pigs you have to make up the money somewhere? As for the Poisoning, the U.S. has been down that road before with poor results. We use to set bait sites laced with arsenic for predator control which was a terrible idea. I'm not sure of the best way to control pigs but this idea would be pretty far down my list.

RBR

Six Pointer
Why would you have to be an unknown to hunt for free? Most of the land I hunt is for free but still have permission from the owner.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Why would you have to be an unknown to hunt for free? Most of the land I hunt is for free but still have permission from the owner.

That's great,,,,,,then go to Texas (or anywhere else that has hogs) and use the same method you used to gain access to those pieces of land,,,,,should be no problem,,,,

turkeyfootnc

Six Pointer

My cousin in Texas said some farmers/ranchers pay a bounty for hogs killed.

oteixeira

Four Pointer
My cousin in Texas said some farmers/ranchers pay a bounty for hogs killed.

I believe it, I have read on a few places about people getting degrees that were looking to go into land management, or whatever wildlife field, and end up getting a job from a big farm where all they do is trap hogs all year round.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
[video=youtube;vAfJG1PMjbY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAfJG1PMjbY[/video]

Cannonball

Six Pointer
I hate to break the news but poisoning of wild hogs has already been done right in NC. Not legally of course but it has been done. Extremely effective,

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I went on a management hunt on Sapalo Island in Georgia, 25-30 years ago, where the management officials told us, "if you don't want them, gut shoot them if you have to. But kill every one you see..."