Staining my deck

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Wood is almost a year old.

15x 30 foot

Never done it before, what do I need to know/buy/use?

I'm looking for a lighter color to contrast against forest Green.

Thank you

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Pressure sprayer works well after a good pressure washing with a mild bleach solution and drying time between.

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
^One gallon of Outdoor Clorox (Lowes carries it) mix one part Clorox and three parts water, spray it on your deck
and let it sit for twenty minutes, pressure wash and let it dry and stay dry for at least two days so you don't
seal in moisture in the wood.
Pick out whatever color stain you want and brush it in or spray it on with a pump sprayer.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Cheap garden sprayer and a broom. Just spray it on and work it in with the broom. Brush for the tedious stuff. Edit, that's for the stain/sealer. Good advice above on cleaning it. And pick a calm day to stain it, you'll have a hella mess if it's windy;)

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Do it right and use Cabot Timber oil. they have some dark colors but if you want something lighter use Natural Timber oil.

you will thank me later.

Last edited:

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Whatever product you use, the deck is the easy part, both cleaning and staining. The railings are the time consuming, pain in the butt part of the job.

And make sure the wood is dry when you apply it. And on many of the new sealer/stain products on the market now, if you want to do a 2nd coat, you have to do it within a fairly short period of time so it will bond/penetrate the first coat.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I used a paint like stain (tintable stain?). I'll look and see what brand it was but I am extremely happy with it. The wood should be aged and dry and like everyone said power wash with bleach and let dry a few more days. It's been 3 years and I have never washed it and it still looks good.. This year I will do a light powerwash and a little touch up. I use a sprayer on things like lattice but prefer a brush and roller where I can because it rubs the paint in. I have 2 dogs, keep my grill on the deck, use it daily year round, it gets a lot of use and is not worn down or off anywhere.