Savage ML-11 replacement parts

herman

Six Pointer
Posted this on another muzzleloader fourm.
Since there are quite a few savages in NC thought I should post it here also.

Post by herman on Feb 23, 2017 at 2:08pm
Really don't know how to write this up but will give it a:donktry.

I have owned 4 savage muzzleloaders,the first one was a ml10 the first year they came to market.

There probably a very few that have put down range shots that I have with these rifles.# 3 and #4 is the ones I still have and there has been thousands of shots fired through them.

Every thing has a point that it wears over time and use.

In one I put a 45 cal pac-nor barrel on,I have put some very hot loads thru it even using sabots and 200 grain bullets.According to my chrony I got a little over 32oo fps with one load, so I can understand things wearing out.

The one with the pac-nor barrel Richard noticed that the firing pi holder was wor pretty good. So I ordered a couple spares for the both of us.I just put a new barrel on it about 2or3 weeks ago,on of lukes plugs in it.

I got lucky and setting the head space it came out perfect.the spent primers came out as clean as they were as new.Richard looked at the bolt and said it was getting close to replacing the firing pin holder again,I had already replaced it a few years ago,so I had one left.

Was shooting Tuesday and noticed the primers were buldgend, we checked the holder and figured out it was well worn out.So Richard took it home and replaced it with the last one I had.He took a pic of the old one,I will ad it at the end.

At home I got on the phone and called savage to get some replacments but the lady said that they did not have and parts for the muzzleloader,but she gave me a list to call and see if anyone of them had any in stock.No one had any.
So thinking what is a man to do with a rifle that you couldn,t get parts for.Came to the conclusion that I would have to not shoot:donkit as much or shoot light loads to make it last longer.
I know this is a little long,just wanted to bring attention to it for the one's shooting the savage actions.I did do one thing at home,I put the bolt out of my 50 cal in and fired a primer and it came out clean as a whistle.
:donk