Speaking generally about Raleigh area deer hunting

Joe111

For those familiar with the triangle area. I have a possible job opportunity that might make sense for me to live either south of Raleigh in Holly Springs or north of Raleigh in the Wake Forest area. I realize there is a fair distance between these two towns. I am familiar with some of the public opportunities in these areas from this site so thank you for the help. I am curious about private opportunities. If I was hopeful to get a private bowhunting opportunity close to home, do you have any guess whether either of these towns would be better then the other? Close meaning 30 minutes or less. As far as clubs (which I would be willing to drive up to 1-1.5 hours but prefer 1 hour or in), is either town better to get me closer to more clubs? Thanks in advance.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Honestly no matter where you are around Raleigh private spots will be hard to find and if you do find one it will be under 50 acres.

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
There are quite a few clubs up in Halifax County, about an hour Northeast of Wake Forest. You might want to google "north carolina deer hunting clubs" and check out their websites.

benelli

Four Pointer
Forget private land, unless you own it yourself. There are about 4-5 clubs within an hour of Raleigh.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I live in the N Raleigh, Wake Forest, Creedmore area. I've had some private ground in the past, it all has houses on it now. Area is growing like crazy, most every piece of dirt that perks has a development going in, pretty crazy and sad to watch. Finding private ground just moving in will be tough unless you know someone.

For clubs there are plenty within 1-1.5 hours. Plenty of clubs in the Nash and Halifax county area are pretty much always looking, just have to do a little homework and find one that works for you.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Like others have said, finding private land anywhere in Wake county is pretty hard. You're going to be in somebody's backyard no matter if its north or south wake cty. And if you do find a few acres to hunt in the Spring, as fast as the County is growing it may be being developed on in the Fall......

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Vance, Warren, and Halifax have some of the highest bucks/mile ratios in the state, and it seems the closer to Va you are the larger the bucks get on avg compared to southern counties with similar management practices. By that I mean private farms with management vs private farms with management not private vs public lands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe111

Got it thanks for all the quick help. Surprised to hear there are not more small acreage bow hunting opportunities on private land near suburbs. thank you for the kind help and advice

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Lots of land in the youngsville, durham, oxford triangle. Granville and franklin counties are both pretty rural and thats the same area you are searching it seems.

Joe111

Lots of land in the youngsville, durham, oxford triangle. Granville and franklin counties are both pretty rural and thats the same area you are searching it seems.

Meaning there are private opportunities there if you are lucky or if you are willing to pay?

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ive spent a lot of time around there and have hunted some here and there, though not a lot. Make some friends and see what shakes. I see it being easier there than south of raleigh. Land is small south of raleigh until you get closer to sanford and its still slim pickins.

nc35hunter

Four Pointer
Once you get to know some people, you will likely be able to work your way into bowhunting opportunities near Raleigh if you play your cards right. They will be small pieces, and it may not feel much like you're out in nature, but it can work.

We are fortunate to hunt a friend's place of roughly 20 acres near the Raleigh city limits. We don't see monster trophy bucks, but we manage to get some decent ones and fill the freezer every year.

I agree with others that you might luck into an area with nice deer anywhere around here, but north of Raleigh seems better than south if you can manage it. Just my opinion.

Good luck.

Joe111

Once you get to know some people, you will likely be able to work your way into bowhunting opportunities near Raleigh if you play your cards right. They will be small pieces, and it may not feel much like you're out in nature, but it can work.

We are fortunate to hunt a friend's place of roughly 20 acres near the Raleigh city limits. We don't see monster trophy bucks, but we manage to get some decent ones and fill the freezer every year.

I agree with others that you might luck into an area with nice deer anywhere around here, but north of Raleigh seems better than south if you can manage it. Just my opinion.

Good luck.

Thank you for all the kind help!