Have you ever legally or mistakenly shot an antlered buck you thought was a doe?

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Years ago I shot a doe and had a warden show up. When I went to tag it he insisted I had to tag it as a buck because I shot it in the head and part of the skull was sticking up above the hairline.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
not that I hunt in Tennessee (still amazed at CRC's hunting "range"),,,,,,,,,,,but seems good enough to me,,,,,,,

this comment made no sense,,,,,,,

George Buttrey, a retired TWRA wildlife biologist from Middle Tennessee said, "[The new regulation] is designed to protect button bucks. But what's happening is you're leaving little bitty, inferior bucks out there. When you're raising cattle do you kill your best bull and leave your scrub bull to breed your herd?"

how the heck does NOT classifying small baby bucks as does mean you are killing "the best bull",,,,,,,,,,,that retired biologist needs to engage brain before mouth OR he was misquoted (has fake news now infiltrated CRC's google alerts?????),,,,,,,

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
3 times. All with a bow. 2 in the last 5 minutes of LST, and one with very small velvet covered antlers that was standing in some brush. All had very small antlers.

Luckily, I rarely use both buck tags. I also quit shooting does in the last 5 minutes.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
not that I hunt in Tennessee (still amazed at CRC's hunting "range"),,,,,,,,,,,but seems good enough to me,,,,,,,

this comment made no sense,,,,,,,

George Buttrey, a retired TWRA wildlife biologist from Middle Tennessee said, "[The new regulation] is designed to protect button bucks. But what's happening is you're leaving little bitty, inferior bucks out there. When you're raising cattle do you kill your best bull and leave your scrub bull to breed your herd?"

how the heck does NOT classifying small baby bucks as does mean you are killing "the best bull",,,,,,,,,,,that retired biologist needs to engage brain before mouth OR he was misquoted (has fake news now infiltrated CRC's google alerts?????),,,,,,,
You actually read his crap?

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I've shot a few spikes over the years when we were aggressive trying to thin out the Does. It happens if you shoot enough Does at a distance.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Me too, shot a little spike, one side was broke off the other was about 3 inches long, brown and no bigger than a french fry. Low light standing in an overgrown field. Should have known better though, he was all alone. 90% of time if they are alone late in the season it's a button or small buck.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
nope not me... but I know a certain someone who frequents here who shot a doe with big ears one evening with a shotgun way back in the day.. lol

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Once ... I drove a "doe" to a buddy who put it down. Upon retrieval, we saw basically 1/2" high "cone antlers" on its pedicles. He had been skunked all season. I think he tagged it as a buck to be legal either way.

Last edited:

DeerMechanic

Was hunting in halifax va one time and there are really big donkey headed does up there. Saw one stick that big head out of the brush and I waited for a good opening. When I fully saw the deer I said Dang thats a big doe, biggest ive ever seen. Since it was last day of the season, I pulled the hammer down on it. When I got to the deer I realized I made and awlful mistake....it was one of the biggest bucks on the property who had already lost its horns, was still dried up blood on the holes on the skull. Man that was bad.