3 legged deer

Etanner

Button Buck
Any thoughts on how this happened? Caught on cam and saw it once this year while hunting
099853ac238ce146da48830cd784aaf0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I've seen some 3 legged deer that I'd assume where from gun shots. Also I've killed quite a few that barely had a leg still attached after a low chest shot that also crunched a leg. Something like a 300wm would knock one off fairly easily

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
We killed 3 or 4 over the years that looked just like that. That got along fine for the most part and were big old does.
I assumed they either were hit by a car or more than likely they got hung up in some wire in the woods.
There were a few old hog pens on the place.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Smartest deer I've ever hunted was a 3 legged doe. Had her on cam 7 years running and never once did I see her from a tree...

boomer

Twelve Pointer
Butner use to have quite a few 3 legged deer, back when the prison dept had the farm up there. They had several big hay fields and when they used a sickle mower t cut hay ,the fawns sometimes would not run off and the mower would get all or part of a leg. One of the guys we hunted with at Butner was guard at the prison and he saw it happen several times. We saw them several times, never killed one though. Back then you could not kill does except for a doe day or 2.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Gunshot, hit by car, run over by mower when a fawn, or breaking a leg stepping in a hole are the usual causes.

I have a trail camera picture of a large Buck who had his entire hind leg shot off by a hunter a couple of years ago. Back around 2010 I shot two three-legged deer that season.

Last edited:

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Smartest deer I've ever hunted was a 3 legged doe. Had her on cam 7 years running and never once did I see her from a tree...

Same deer raised 2 fawns most of the 7 years we had her on camera. I had her step out in an opening in the woods in bow range once. I was 25' up a tree in a climber bowhunting. I did not even try to pick up the bow and draw on her and she still spotted me right quick and slipped back in the thick stuff. I saw her several other times in fields and around edges but that was the only encounter I had with her while I was actually hunting. I suspect she died of natural causes.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This buck had his rear leg shot off by a hunter two seasons ago. He was found dead the following Spring.

Last edited:

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
It always amazes me at how tough they are... I've never killed a 3 legged deer but I have killed many with broken legs... the first deer I killed this past season had a terrible broken back leg. I think a lot of them get hit by cars in my opinion... I enjoy the trail cam pics!

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It amazes me that the coyotes have gotten smart enough to just eat what they need and keep the rest fresh on the hoof!!

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I'd bet it was either caught in a fence or hit by a car. I've seen a lot of critters living with 3 legs but a deer has never been one.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Dad killed a "non typical" way back in Pisgah about 10 years ago.

His rack had like 11 little points but it went straight up off his head all palmated and only like 6" tall beams.
Looked just like a roe deer from Europe.

Anywho. The deer was hobble walking down the middle of a creek like his leg was broken. Dad popped him thinking the life of a deer with a broken leg in the steep mtns would be short and violent.

Got up to him, and the bottom 8" of his front leg was gone and completely healed over with skin.

It had been that way a long time. Long enough that his horns reflected the injury. Looked at his teeth and he was a 4year old deer but only weighed about 80#.

Where we were, I can tell you with about 99.98% confidence that it wasn't from a gunshot.

Guessing either snapped it between two rocks, or I guess possibly bitten by a snake and caused necrosis.

Wierd one for sure

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
It amazes me that the coyotes have gotten smart enough to just eat what they need and keep the rest fresh on the hoof!!

Reminds me of the guy going into a bar with a three legged pig. Someone asked about it and he said the pig woke him up when the house was on fire and saved him and his family. Then he said a pig that special you wouldn't want to eat all at one time.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
We had one that one of our guys shot in the front leg but what was left didn't reach the ground. I never saw her but others did, sounded like somebody raking leaves when she would come through. She lived for at least 3 years on 3 wheels, neighbor finally shot her at night in the beans. They are survivors for sure.