Virginia to cut doe/either-sex seasons

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Deer
Denny Quaiff, executive director of the Virginia Deer Hunters Association, said he is encouraged by the proposals to cut back on the deer kill, but wonders if the proposals go far enough. Like many hunters, he believes the deer population is in decline. Getting the blame are liberal hunting regulations, predators, disease and habitat degradation.
“We have lost a lot of deer,” he said.
A major proposal calls for bucks-only hunting on national forest and DGIF property. Deer on public land have been in a sharp decline.
“The national forest has gone to pot,” Turner said.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/outdo...cle_a4d1fa62-9f22-5256-a682-a9b07965218a.html

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Well where I hunt in Va they can't cut it much since we don't have a single gun or black powder doe day in my county just the archery and I see no reason to cut those out archery doe kills are pretty insignificant

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
NC hunters want lots of deer, long seasons, no buck/doe restrictions, and no bag limits. :cool:

Good luck with that. :D

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Never.

The majority of hunters and farmers in NC oppose reducing either-sex seasons.

Get out and meet people who hunt you'll see the tide is slowly turning in many areas every season that goes by hear more and more people saying how they see fewer deer when ring around and in woods

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Get out and meet people who hunt you'll see the tide is slowly turning in many areas every season that goes by hear more and more people saying how they see fewer deer when ring around and in woods

Not according to the NCWRC deer survey done last year.

The only time the NCWRC has been able to get away with cutting deer seasons was on national forest lands 20-15 years ago and in those cases they increased them back to where they were.
A recent statewide NC deer hunter survey indicates that most hunters, including hunters around SMGL, prefer not to further restrict either-sex days, so consideration for reducing either-sex days is something the WRC has to carefully consider, and ideally would be supported with a strong biological and/or sociological need

Interestingly South Mountains Game Lands has been the only place in the state where either-sex opportunities were reduced in some form or fashion by the WRC and kept that way to this day. And ironically over that time period they were increased as well.

In fact over the past few years either-sex seasons have only become longer and more. Remember has bonus tags to kill unlimited antlerless deer in the majority of the state.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Further at the 2015 deer management forums average 63% of NC deer hunters said no to decreasing either-sex days.

In every WRC district the majority of hunters, except District 9, wanted no part in decreasing either-sex seasons.

The forum attendees across the state did not appear to support a reduction in doe harvest.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
NC hunters want lots of deer, long seasons, no buck/doe restrictions, and no bag limits. :cool:

I stand by my original quote.;)

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I said the tide is starting to turn not already turned and I believe that and in 5-10 more years at rate were going I thnk you'll see some serious complaining about not seeing many deer I've seen major decrease in area of Wilkes I hunt deer are still there and to me still decent but sure not like it used to be I'm sure their will be areas that will always have plenty but how many there will be only time can tell

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
People might complain about decreasing deer numbers but a majority will not support decreasing their chances to fill their freezers.

Plus you have to consider the farming community, many of which would love it if deer went extinct.