Digging a Pond

ascain

Button Buck
Digging a Pond, Anybody Got a Shovel?

There's about a 3.5 acre field behind my house that is always very wet. I had thought about digging a pond there, as it's not very good farmland and holds water most of the year. I have heard that commercial sand/gravel crews will sometimes come and dig out the pond for free if they get to keep the soil. Anyone know of any contractors that do this?

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You actually have to get mining permits once you go so deep removing soil and hauling it off site, and it isn't that deep. Most of the people that are in the sand/gravel business either are doing it illegal or large scale. If it is holding water like you say it would be more of a headache to them than it would be worth. But got to give you an A for effort for trying. ;)

Last edited:

Trappertod

Six Pointer
Army Corps of engineers will help you out, they came surveyed our property and told us what we needed to do.

ascain

Button Buck
2boyz okay thanks

nccatfisher I don't know for sure, which is why I asked, but I can't imagine you'd have to have a mining permit to dig a farm pond. It wouldn't really be for mining purposes. And about the soil holding water, maybe I could wait until we have a drought? Hahah

Trappertod thanks I'll definitely look into that.

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Farm use is different that recreational use, if the use is to be for watering animals and the pond just happens to hold fish, it's a whole nuther ballgame. Same as permitting for buildings for farm use.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
2boyz okay thanks

nccatfisher I don't know for sure, which is why I asked, but I can't imagine you'd have to have a mining permit to dig a farm pond. It wouldn't really be for mining purposes. And about the soil holding water, maybe I could wait until we have a drought? Hahah

Trappertod thanks I'll definitely look into that.
I didn't say you had to have a mining permit for a farm pond, but to remove dirt, gravel or sand from the premises and relocating it off property you do. There is a set amount you can remove per year, you go over that you have to have a mining permit. It actually has nothing to do with mining, it has to do with erosion, safety and such.

You were the one inquiring about someone doing it for the sand and gravel value and I was just throwing that aspect in.

Last edited:

ascain

Button Buck
I didn't say you had to have a mining permit for a farm pond, but to remove dirt, gravel or sand from the premises and relocating it off property you do. There is a set amount you can remove per year, you go over that you have to have a mining permit. It actually has nothing to do with mining, it has to do with erosion, safety and such.

You were the one inquiring about someone doing it for the sand and gravel value and I was just throwing that aspect in.

I apologize if I came off disrespectful, that wasn't my intent. I was expressing disbelief that local gov't would require a mining permit. I shouldn't be surprised though, I feel like they almost require a permit to pitch a tent at times. I appreciate the information. I was not aware of the permit or the limits you can haul off per year. Again, apologies for the misunderstanding,

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If it is farmland, and gets ANY USDA benefits, contact NRCS, or go to the FSA Office and request a 1026 BEFORE you do ANYTHING concerning that site. If it happens to be a wetland, you risk losing USDA benefits if you do anything. Chances are, it would be considered Prior Converted Wetlands and you would be ok. Be safe and make sure.

If it a agricultural land, NRCS has the call on it, not the Corps of Engineers.

What county are you in?

Last edited:

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
2boyz okay thanks

nccatfisher I don't know for sure, which is why I asked, but I can't imagine you'd have to have a mining permit to dig a farm pond. It wouldn't really be for mining purposes

Think about it. The gravel/grading company is paying you to remove minerals from your ground. Now, I understand that from your perspective, you aren't getting paid dollars for it, but you do have someone who is exchanging significant expense in equipment and man hours for your minerals.

That it isn't gold or silver, but merely gravel, doesn't necesarily factor into it.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It would be viewed as mining. Grading companies get busted for it every year. I know of a bug sand mine that operated for like 15 years and never had a permit. They didnt get caught. Ive also seen grading companies get busted in just a couple of days. Usually competition dials up the denr folks.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It would be viewed as mining. Grading companies get busted for it every year. I know of a bug sand mine that operated for like 15 years and never had a permit. They didnt get caught. Ive also seen grading companies get busted in just a couple of days. Usually competition dials up the denr folks.
Exactly, and either the fine or putting the site back to original grade is very expensive. I have either owned heavy equipment or hauled for several people since I have retired, I have seen several folks get in a pinch over permits.

ascain

Button Buck
Think about it. The gravel/grading company is paying you to remove minerals from your ground. Now, I understand that from your perspective, you aren't getting paid dollars for it, but you do have someone who is exchanging significant expense in equipment and man hours for your minerals.

That it isn't gold or silver, but merely gravel, doesn't necesarily factor into it.

Oh yeah I realize digging sand and gravel is mining. Just was surprised to hear you might have to have a permit. "Digging a hole and removing the dirt. Who'd a thunk it?" - is all I was saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk