Anyone as tickled with BLACKHORN 209 as I am?

Mommicked

I've shot pyrodex (3 kinds) plus pellets of 2 kinds, Goexx (real black powder, not a substitute) and now blackhorn 209. It's as expensive as the dickens. But it cleans easier, and shoots more accurately than anything else I've fired in a muzzleloader. It's made for inlines, so don't plan on stuffing it in your Hawken or hand made fowler with the swamped barrel, but for inlines it's the stuff.

In several different inlines, I've found that 120 grains of BH209, a shotgun primer, and 300 gr sabots (T/C or Hornady) will stay inside a sheet of notebook paper @ 200 yards with boring regularity. While I'm not suggesting this as a 200 yard load, I don't having any doubt of a one shot hit at that range. (Just not personally sure about remaining velocity/energy/killing power).

Have any of y'all tried it? I think it's about $40 a can locally, and I think a can is only about 10-12 oz vs 16. Still, the stuff is magic for hunting.

Bigbass78

Four Pointer
I've shot pyrodex (3 kinds) plus pellets of 2 kinds, Goexx (real black powder, not a substitute) and now blackhorn 209. It's as expensive as the dickens. But it cleans easier, and shoots more accurately than anything else I've fired in a muzzleloader. It's made for inlines, so don't plan on stuffing it in your Hawken or hand made fowler with the swamped barrel, but for inlines it's the stuff.

In several different inlines, I've found that 120 grains of BH209, a shotgun primer, and 300 gr sabots (T/C or Hornady) will stay inside a sheet of notebook paper @ 200 yards with boring regularity. While I'm not suggesting this as a 200 yard load, I don't having any doubt of a one shot hit at that range. (Just not personally sure about remaining velocity/energy/killing power).

Have any of y'all tried it? I think it's about $40 a can locally, and I think a can is only about 10-12 oz vs 16. Still, the stuff is magic for hunting.
I switched to it about two years ago I will never go back

Mommicked

That has been my thoughts too! You can have all the pellets you want.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I've tried several loose powders and some pellets.... like you I'll never shoot anything other than Bh209.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
When you figure in the savings from not having to swab between shots, clean the rifle every time etc BH209 costs a lot less than anything esle.

FWIW, with most pellets you're paying around $80 a pound and roughly half of it is fouling and ejected debris. An huge added benefit is that BH209 is far less hygrscpoinc so it absorbs a tiny fraction of airborne moisture as compared to black powder, Pyrodex, 777 etc.

Lance

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The only thing I miss with Pyrodex is the big smoke clouds :rolleyes: Been using BH209 for two seasons now and not going back. As to power .... my longest shot with a muzzleloader was also my first year using BH209. Loaded 63 grains weighed (90 volume) volume and a Hornady 250 gr SST, 130 yards, blew right thru both shoulders.