Milsurp / BDU Woodland Camo for hunting (and other mil surplus hunting gear)?

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Hi folks.

Do any of you use military surplus clothing for hunting? I started using it years ago when I got into hunting because it was a) relatively inexpensive and b) came in tall sizes! I bought my stuff off ebay searching for "BDU Woodland Camo" and finding Large/Long or Large X-long pants with Large-long shirts. The X-long pants have a 38.5" inseam which is longer than I need (36) but it's nice to have extra length when seated, knees up, in a turkey lounger. All pants have the ajustable waistband which is nice, too. THe shirt/jacket doesn't tuck in but still is a nice shirt, all of this is rip-stop material.

It is a pretty dark pattern, although the desert tan and other newer patterns are lighter.

I will add that I never served in the military and do not wish to appear as if I have. There are no badges on my clothing such as name or rank, etc. No one has ever commented on it, either, and I rarely wear it in public (such as a restaurant). I apologize. I left out the word "no" earlier in this paragraph and it probably left some scracthing their heads.

Any comments from you folks?

_DSC2145-001.jpg

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
When Sportsmans Guide was much younger they had some amazing deals on military surplus, and I used to buy all kinds of clothing from a multitude of countries. Some of the wool stuff was comparable to the best quality Woolrich or better for a fraction of the price.
Some of the patterns and colors will make you wonder who in the heck came up with that..but the deer never seemed to mind and it kept me warm and dry.
Some of my favorite gloves for hunting are still the wool glove liners, they aren't bulky, breathe well, and don't slip on most weapons.

Boojum

Ten Pointer
Woodland camo BDUs are my favorite camo pattern ever, and better quality than most clothing. I wear them a lot.

Last edited:

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Yeah it's getting harder to get now. I always liked both weights. Very durable and better than most other mainstream camo.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
That's all I ever wore for years and years,we used to make a lot of trips to Delk's Army-Navy store.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Well, I've always liked the camo. Lots of pockets. But the TALL sizes are a huge benefit.

Sometimes I feel like a dark blob against whereever I'm sitting. However, sitting still (and managing scent) is probably the best thing to keep in mind. I think some of the newer camo designs (marpat?) could be useful, too.

Then again, I've always liked the old "red and black" flannel. Maybe I'll go back to that! :)

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I wear my leafy suit over anything during bow. Marpat once the leaves drop. BUT... This past season I bought a spacious blind... More like hanging out in tree house(on the ground) than trying not be be seen. My only concern is getting in and not being smelled.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Love the BDUs absolutely detest the ACU crap..... rips so easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Out of respect for those who served and wore them on duty you might want to remove all the name tapes and patches. There are those who get pretty uptight if they think anyone is a pretender. Aside from that I still have a pile of Vietnam era camo which I hope to get back into some day if I can just lose 20 more pounds.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
When Sportsmans Guide was much younger they had some amazing deals on military surplus, and I used to buy all kinds of clothing from a multitude of countries. Some of the wool stuff was comparable to the best quality Woolrich or better for a fraction of the price.
Some of the patterns and colors will make you wonder who in the heck came up with that..but the deer never seemed to mind and it kept me warm and dry.
Some of my favorite gloves for hunting are still the wool glove liners, they aren't bulky, breathe well, and don't slip on most weapons.

I remember those days.. I was just always too big to fit any of them...

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Actually I think you missed the "not"... go back & read your post & youll see why Blackwater commented... just a heads up.

Thank you, SamCo89! I apologize Blackwater! How stupid of me. And I sounded condescending, too. :(

...and it was a Vietnam veteran that pointed it out to, as well. Thank you for your service, Blackwater.

I will be editing my post!

Last edited:

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
It works pretty well, especially in thick vegetation. I haven't seen it in use much in the winter with all the leaves on the ground but I know spring- early fall it can be quite effective.

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
Blackwater, I still have my OG 107 tropical fatigues. I can still fit into the jackets but the trousers are a lost cause.....

I still keep a set each of winter and summer BDUs with all the patches on them for when we put our mlitary vehicles on parades but have stripped down most of the one I use for hunting.

To All, a good friend owns The LZ Army-Navy store here in Auburn, NY. He stocks most any size you want in new production mil spec and near-mil spec BDUs (yes, they are still being made). And they have a fair selection of used uniforms, too. If you have a particular size you are interested in I'll see what he has and what the price is. I'll be at a military vehicle show in Denton 12-15. You could pick them up there or at our NC place in Pinnacle.

Lance

To all,

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
I've hunted in OG 107s, BDUs, DCU 6/3 colors, ACUs and MultiCams. Whatever I was issued as I used to also hunt the military reservations when active. Only camo I've ever bought was a set of Tiger Strips on BDU style clothing.

edited to add used my over whites once too.

CD

Last edited:

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Thank you, SamCo89! I apologize Blackwater! How stupid of me. And I sounded condescending, too. :(

...and it was a Vietnam veteran that pointed it out to, as well. Thank you for your service, Blackwater.

I will be editing my post!

No harm, no foul. As to the service, you're most welcome.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Blackwater, I still have my OG 107 tropical fatigues. I can still fit into the jackets but the trousers are a lost cause.....

I still keep a set each of winter and summer BDUs with all the patches on them for when we put our military vehicles on parades but have stripped down most of the one I use for hunting.

I was never issued camo in the service, but I did have a boonie hat and jungle boots which my teenaged brother wound up with; wish I'd kept them. The camo I sourced from a surplus store after putting on a few pounds and mustering out. That 30" waist I had is now just a vague memory.

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
I was never issued camo in the service, but I did have a boonie hat and jungle boots which my teenaged brother wound up with; wish I'd kept them. The camo I sourced from a surplus store after putting on a few pounds and mustering out. That 30" waist I had is now just a vague memory.

I enlisted at the end of the Vietnam era but after the end of line unit infantry action. Last week a friend and I were discussing our changing body shape as we've aged. I mentioned that when I had a pre-deployment physical for the Persian Gulf War I was 6'4" and weighed 245 and had around a 34" waist. I'm still 6'4" and 245 but am closer to a 38-40" waist. That's why the OG 107 and my early BDUs jackets I use for hunting, including one remaining very early "Elvis collar" one with the really wide lapels, still fit but the trousers won't......

My wife wanted to throw out all my old BDUs (about 8 sets) when we were hoeing out my old uniforms in prep for the move to NC but I pointed out to her that I'll be doing a lot more hot and warm weather hunting there than here in NY. I also pointed out that if she wanted input into what clothes I move then I was going to decide what clothes she took. That ended the conversation. The BDUs are NC bound.

Lance

Last edited:

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
I have a friend that hunts in old BDU pants all the time. I find no issue with it. He was in the National Guard, so I assume he just kept them after he got out. My first hunting coat was from the military surplus store in LaGrange. I'm too big for it now (40 yr old me is a little thicker than 15 yr old me) so I have my son wear it. Patches removed.

Last edited:

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I've got (2) M65 jackets with liners (large I think) that I would trade for larger/regular rip stop pants like shown.
military-combat-bdu-pants-x-small-short-woodland-camo-ripstop-rip-stop-843e94403f4d6132ad87597660f2d838.jpg

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Ordered and received a set of Marpat by Tru Spec on eBay for my daughter. Both top and bottom seem to be new. Great deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
MilSurp.jpg

I pick it up wherever I find it. That MKIII suit up top with pants and poncho are the lightest, warmest cold weather gear I've ever found....