Are any of your clubs changing the number of deer that can be killed by each member?

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
My dog club has set its own harvest number per member since we had a member several years back to kill 4 deer in one day. It didn't bother me at all when he killed them deer. The guy doesn't hunt much but several members had a hissy fit. One in particular who wont kill a doe if the buck to doe ratio was a 100 to 1...he just wont kill a doe. It was his own complaining that got enough interest up to set a limit for the club outside of the states regulations. We went to a 2 buck limit and 2 does. The very next year he tagged out early. He killed two nice bucks but when he brought the second one in...he was upset about being tagged out. I tried to smooth it over for him but he said "I wasn't the one who was shooting the small ones". I let it go knowing in my own mind he was the exact one who was complaining and caused the club limit. Now he complaining again..so as far as I'm concerned ..new limits on a club wont stop people from complaining.

In my opinion..we really need to kill some does because we never really have killed many. Our kill records indicate we kill 30% does each year. I have very few if any days I hunt that I don't see deer. Now the two buck limit has put better bucks on the trail cameras for me(more 2.5 year bucks) but still we don't have no big rack bucks. Our soil just don't support big antlers. This year we lost 300 acres right in the middle of our club. It was sold. This will cut our club in half...so looking back now...what did we gain by saving a few deer?

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
a big deer in NC is a lightning strike anyway except for those with the time and land to hunt them where there are some old enough to get big.

you can tell from the DDC and our kill posts that not many folks have that luxury.
.... ^ .. Truth ... but we do, as a group, help make it so.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
something else to be learned from this thread.

deer clubs are one more complicated groups of people.

hardest non paying job around would be a club prez.

lowery63

Four Pointer
Find the job easy myself the riles are what they as long as everyone understands them its peachy

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
I understand Travislh where u would think what has been said but some people on this topic all they have talked about is the killing part nothing about the respect for the game we hunt we os the enjoyment in that when did it become boring to go out into nature and just sit there and listen to bitds chirping squirrels playi g become boring and yes it doesn't take much skill to kill an immature animal again i wasnt speaking for all but jist my opinion i wouldn't want a guy that just in it for the kill in or around the land i try to maintain

Little brains equal run away paragraphs.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
See most people on this topic dont want much out of hunting

with only a few posts perhaps you dont have much history here?

if you had you would know that the only common denominator is no one wants anyone to tell them what they should get out of hunting.

Last edited:

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
something else to be learned from this thread.

deer clubs are one more complicated groups of people.

hardest non paying job around would be a club prez.

It really isnt that difficult with our group- most of them know me as a BSer- they also know i am all about sticking to the rules- the first time you let the rules slide.....it will never be the same

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
Most studies have shown doe get bred in the month of November and December and if u shoot a doe when she pregnant your most likely killing 2 or three deer at that point but i no what we gonna do to control the land we have

But from a hunting perspective it makes no difference. If you kill a pregnant doe in December, you are correct that you are most likely removing 3 deer from the herd. If you kill said doe in October, she never gets pregnant with twin fawns to start with, so you are also removing 3 deer from the herd. Either way those fawns won't be born. a doe is a doe is a doe.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
But from a hunting perspective it makes no difference. If you kill a pregnant doe in December, you are correct that you are most likely removing 3 deer from the herd. If you kill said doe in October, she never gets pregnant with twin fawns to start with, so you are also removing 3 deer from the herd. Either way those fawns won't be born. a doe is a doe is a doe.

Yup.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
See most people on this topic dont want much out of hunting

Seems that you think that your way is the only way. I'll continue to shoot what I consider nice bucks and teach my kids to be just as happy and thankful with any doe or buck they take as they are if it were a trophy, that shows true respect for animals. Back to the topic..... if you have a balanced herd and keep track of your herds density there is no harm in taking a few does, and if you have a high doe to buck ratio then taking some does to get a better balance is recommended by most biologists. However if your buck to doe ratio is to high then you shouldn't take any. Ultimately taking of any game is a question of sustainability and the management of no 2 properties will be the same.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hell, I was just curious what others were going to do........I had already made up my mind what I wanted to do........cant we all just get along.......you bunch of thread hijacking nut cases!!LOL

Gotta love this place!!

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Hell, I was just curious what others were going to do........I had already made up my mind what I wanted to do........cant we all just get along.......you bunch of thread hijacking nut cases!!LOL

Gotta love this place!!

Things did go a lil wonky huh lol

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
To answer the original question no we won't reduce the limit of deer that can be harvested by a member at my club. We will continue to hunt the way we always do. The state allows us to harvest six deer. The rules are plain and easy to follow if a buck appears to be 14 inches wide and at least three points on one main beam he will most likely die.

We hunt in a county that allows deer hunting with hounds and I don't want to hinder my folks with foolish rules and unrealistic expectations. Filling a freezer isn't a problem where I hunt and neither is killing a buck that will score 120 gross inches.

We kill several bucks each season that score 120 or more and have had several 140 plus bucks killed in a decade. The biggest issue with killing a nice buck is having enough consecutive days during the month of November to hunt.

Eggman

Twelve Pointer

Ding.. Ding.. Ding!!! Winner!!!! Thank you! I agree 100%

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns

Not just a hunting perspective. Scientifically and statiscally also. People don't understand that if you kill a doe in September, you removed 1 (one) deer from property that was in the overall census. If you kill a doe in December, you STILL ONLY KILLED 1 (ONE) DOE! I don't give a damn if the doe had 10 fawns in her when you killed her. You still only killed one deer. Thank god the state don't use that reasoning because anytime a deer census was done between oct and April, the deer herd would be astronomically high because they were counting deer that were not there. Plus, people have to realize that the majority of does will get bred and have a fawn(s). So it makes no dam difference if you shoot them early September or January 1st. Statiscally speaking your shooting a "bred" doe anytime you shoot one, be it September 1st or January 1st.

Last edited:

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
To answer the original question no we won't reduce the limit of deer that can be harvested by a member at my club. We will continue to hunt the way we always do. The state allows us to harvest six deer. The rules are plain and easy to follow if a buck appears to be 14 inches wide and at least three points on one main beam he will most likely die.

We hunt in a county that allows deer hunting with hounds and I don't want to hinder my folks with foolish rules and unrealistic expectations. Filling a freezer isn't a problem where I hunt and neither is killing a buck that will score 120 gross inches.

We kill several bucks each season that score 120 or more and have had several 140 plus bucks killed in a decade. The biggest issue with killing a nice buck is having enough consecutive days during the month of November to hunt.

If you killing 120s every year off the same land with a few 140s in the mix over the past 10 years in NC....then your doing about as good as it can get in this state. JMO

We killing a few 4.5 year old bucks and several 3.5 each year but we not killing 120s...maybe a 100. I keep hoping to see one come through the crack.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you killing 120s every year off the same land with a few 140s in the mix over the past 10 years in NC....then your doing about as good as it can get in this state. JMO

We killing a few 4.5 year old bucks and several 3.5 each year but we not killing 120s...maybe a 100. I keep hoping to see one come through the crack.

Measuring antlers will vary from one club to the next........heck from one hunter to the next..... I put little faith in antler measuring unless I am watching a certified person doing it. I hope they are actually killing deer that big on a regular basis.....it is good for all of us! 14 inches wide and 3 points on the beam is exactly what we want to let walk and we do. I would love to get past the shooting of 100 inch 8pts and see what we can really do. Our "foolish rules and unrealistic expectations" will work as long as we are united in our plan.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
Seems that you think that your way is the only way. I'll continue to shoot what I consider nice bucks and teach my kids to be just as happy and thankful with any doe or buck they take as they are if it were a trophy, that shows true respect for animals. Back to the topic..... if you have a balanced herd and keep track of your herds density there is no harm in taking a few does, and if you have a high doe to buck ratio then taking some does to get a better balance is recommended by most biologists. However if your buck to doe ratio is to high then you shouldn't take any. Ultimately taking of any game is a question of sustainability and the management of no 2 properties will be the same.

Exactly! Someone gets it.

Last edited:

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
didn't answer what I was asking, but that's OK,,,,I was just trying to understand

I agree with you, does not matter when you kill them, they are either going to be pregnant or already are, makes no difference when you take them!

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I will not shoot anything I don't want to shoot. When I'm hunting my intensions are to kill, if I see something I want to shoot. If I wanted to go bird watching or on a hike that is what I would do.

Regardless of inches of antler, I have never hunted a place that did not have mature deer. I would consider the general areas I hunt, as high pressure too.

Packfan

Eight Pointer
didn't answer what I was asking, but that's OK,,,,I was just trying to understand

I have the same theory Woodmoose.

Shoot a doe early = net zero does or fawns in January.
Shoot a doe late that is prego = net zero or does or fawns in January.

Same result. The math works. Therefore, shoot them when you want to.