Archery & Turkey Questions for newbie archer

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I'm an inexperienced bowhunt, uh, bow-owner. I've practiced infrequently and irregularly at ranges of 10-30 yards. I feel comfortable and confident in my bow at those distances in a practice position.

I have two fans on the wall (shotgun) and would like to try with a bow. I have a few questions.

1. Typical broadhead or specialty turkey broadhead with really wide cutting "diameter"? (I take it that the type of broadhead used determines intended shot target on the bird (body or head/neck, respectively).

2. Is a blind just about a MUST in this situation? Or is excellent concealment and being in a position to rise up on the knees, draw, and shoot (under pressure, I know), enough for some of you?

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I'll preface this by saying I've never killed one with a bow, only tried a few times before gun was legal on Sunday but here's my thoughts anyway.

1. I'd use a rage extreme broadhead or something similar. I personally wouldn't mess with the huge head lopping broadhead. Body shooting allows for a bigger target.
2. A blind will make it much easier, only other way I see to do it is if you get the gobbler working over your dekes. Then you may be able to get away with drawing.

I know a lot of people that have lost birds with the bow, you need to really pay attention to where you shoot em. It's much lower than what I thought. Good buddy has been trying for years and finally got a 10 yard chip shot last season. Shot too high, never found em.

Good luck!

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
If your gonna use a blind, remember you can't shoot a mechanical through mesh. I have found my best archery opportunities have came when I had no blind or decoys at all. Usually lower light in the woods at flydown. I like to video so have used a blind in the past, but I have a lot of fun just getting close no blind at all, in the woods you can find a good time to draw usually.

Last edited:

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
With all due respect, and I say this as a newbie bowhunter myself, you need to practice a whole lot more. No offense intended. Practice sitting with your back to a tree like I imagine you would like to hunt, especially.

Good luck!

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I say try it for yourself and see what happens. Generally speaking, when I bow hunt for turkeys, I'm in a blind. I hunt for myself about 5-6 times per season. Back before I had kids, I bow hunted them without a blind and getting drawn without being seen was tough, but hitting a semi spooked moving target was even tougher. I finally gave it up because I hate educating turkeys and that is exactly what I was doing.

If you are planning to body shoot them, use the biggest mechanical broadhead you can find. Contrary to what many say, the vitals aren't much bigger than the head and neck area targeted by the head shot broadheads.

I've killed them with body and head shots, but both require a unique understanding of behavior and anatomy to be successful IMO.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
The two I have killed with a bow have been fixed blade broad heads through mesh of a blind over decoys. It's like deer hunting turkeys. One hunt we roosters the birds the evening before and set up on the edge of the field later that night late under moon light. And one we sat up on a big dust bowl on the edge of field about lunch. There are a ton of ways to do it but these are the easiest and highest success. Since I've killed few with the bow I have kinda got into real turkey hunting and finding one on the fly early in the morning and "running and gunning"
Cheers best of luck. If you can't stack arrows in a quarter at 20yds don't shoot at a turkey with your bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Thanks everybody (but weekender, just kidding! see below) You're right. I'll just try it and see. I was counting on some permit hunts which all fell through.My main spot was my own for one year until my nephews discovered turkery hunting and invited friends... sigh. I did get one that first year on the inlaws farm but after that, the nephews et al., are there all the time, and others who are getting permission.

With all due respect, and I say this as a newbie bowhunter myself, you need to practice a whole lot more. No offense intended. Practice sitting with your back to a tree like I imagine you would like to hunt, especially. Good luck!

Weekend - no offense taken. I knew I needed more practice time which is why I described in my post how much practicing I actually did. I even said "in a practice position" - meaning, there's no more comfortable and easy way to draw a bow when standing at full height aiming at a clear (large) target with no pressure! :)

hawkman

Eight Pointer
One hunt we roosters the birds the evening before and set up on the edge of the field later that night late under moon light.

Interesting point I had not considered since I've only ever just showed up and sat down next to a tree: I've not had to roost birds and set up a blind afterward, so I can see how you'd need to wait to set up.

If you can't stack arrows in a quarter at 20yds don't shoot at a turkey with your bow.

Got it. :)

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
A blind is definitely not required, but it does make it easier. You just really have to know when to draw. If it were me I'd be comfortable taking my Muzzys and shooting for the body on a turkey.