Anyone hunt with bigbore pistols?

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
Does anyone have any experience hunting deer with the bigbores that are more powerful than a 44 Mag...are they any more effective/dramatic on lung shots?

RJ1

Ten Pointer
I have taken numerous bear with the .454 Casull only killed one deer with it about a 50 yard shot head shot.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I hunt with a .45 Colt using full power reloads and a couple of different .44 Magnum handguns and have a few friends that hunt with similar setups. I've never noticed a big difference between the two on any shot placement.

<>< Fish

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I hunt with a 44.mag 45 LC and 30/30 TC contender.... no noticeable diff in the 44 and 45... that 30/30 is my go to now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BWard

Button Buck
Shot a few with a 44mag. I have a 45 win mag contender but haven't shot anything with it yet. Should be close to a 44mag.

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
Thanks for your responses...I have a few with a 44 and the deer always seem to run a ways, very much like an arrow with sporadic blood...I'm looking for a pistol that will routinely take the down quickly with lung shots

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks for your responses...I have a few with a 44 and the deer always seem to run a ways, very much like an arrow with sporadic blood...I'm looking for a pistol that will routinely take the down quickly with lung shots

What bullet do you use? A 180 gr XTP in your 44 Mag should give you more of the effect you seek...

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
240 jsp from magtech

You would be better off using a 200-240gr hollow point than the JSP for deer. The 240gr XTP is my all time favorite in the .44 Magnum. The 225gr Hornady FTX should give you the expansion you are not getting with the JSP and shorter recoveries.

<>< Fish

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
You would be better off using a 200-240gr hollow point than the JSP for deer. The 240gr XTP is my all time favorite in the .44 Magnum. The 225gr Hornady FTX should give you the expansion you are not getting with the JSP and shorter recoveries.

<>< Fish

This....225gn FTX is great on deer, turns lungs into soup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I hunt with a .45 Colt using full power reloads and a couple of different .44 Magnum handguns and have a few friends that hunt with similar setups. I've never noticed a big difference between the two on any shot placement.

<>< Fish

X2..........

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
X2..........

I usually shoot LFNGC bullets and try to break the off-side shoulder [no mid ribcage shots] and have had good luck with non expanding bullets.
I used to shoot JHP bullets but I really like to have an exit wound [along with a broken shoulder or two] and JHP bullets don't always go thru on a shoulder shot.

Hungry

I'm waiting on delivery of some 240 gr SWC Keith style bullets from MBC. I plan shooting them from a 7.5" Super Blackhawk over 19 gr of 2400. This should put me at about 1200/fps. Looking forward to see how they perform on the whitetails I hunt. :)

Attachments

• ht_44elmerk.jpg
    ht_44elmerk.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 3

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I'm waiting on delivery of some 240 gr SWC Keith style bullets from MBC. I plan shooting them from a 7.5" Super Blackhawk over 19 gr of 2400. This should put me at about 1200/fps. Looking forward to see how they perform on the whitetails I hunt. :)

I also use these same bullets out of a 7.5" SBH with 10 gr of Unique; just under 1000 fps - great practice round; but I also would not hesitate to hunt with it too. Very accurate load out of my Ruger.

tarheelshooter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
357 Mag with 158 XTP
41 Mag with 210 XTP
10mm with 180 or 200 XTP

All had good blood trail and went less than 60 yards. Similar internal damage with slight edge to 10 mm.

44 Mag with 240 XTP and 240 Speer GDSP
45 Colt/454 Casull with 250 XTP
480 Ruger with 275 XTP and 275 Speer GDHP

Great blood trails and no more than 40 yards. 480 usually dropped right there with Speers. 480 shoots just as easy as the 44 with more energy.

500 SW with 350 XTP and no trailing needed.Honestly think the concussion knocked her down. Just plain unfair (to the shooter also):D

tarheelshooter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Use to have some 15 inch Encore pistol barrels that I got rid of before I hurt myself.
25-06 (not too bad) 30-06.... Kinda rough with heavier bullets,and a 444 Marlin that was brutal with a 300 grain XTP. Yes,I'm a glutton for punishment:p

Big Country

Ten Pointer
I have killed one with a 44mag black hawk ran about 50 yards. Still trying with my encore in 308win. The one with the 44 was with hornady ftx

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Following closely on this.
Was thinking of a ~~200gr xtp loaded hot out of a 7.5" Blackhawk this fall. 44mag
Input?

ncmountainman

I hunted for years with a .308 T/C Encore 15" barrel topped with a Burris 2x7 scope. Retired it to the safe this year. Bad dude. Enjoyed hunting with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Following closely on this.
Was thinking of a ~~200gr xtp loaded hot out of a 7.5" Blackhawk this fall. 44mag
Input?

It will equal very quickly a dead deer if placed through the vitals. I wouldn't have any issue using that combo. I tried them in my 10.5 Super Blackhawk but they did not group as well as the 240gr XTP for me. Every gun is unique though.

<>< Fish