Float Hunting

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I just received an 8ft (I think) plastic jon boat. I don't want to mess with putting a motor on it so I was planning on just paddling it down some streams and lakes around here. I found the regulations on what I have to have to be legal, but I can't find any rules about carrying a firearm for hunting while in the boat. At home I knew a lot of people who'd float down creeks and small rivers and jump shoot ducks from their boats but I've never tried it before. Any tips y'all have or where to find the laws concerning firearms would be great.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Only place I know of that you can't have a gun in your boat is the Cape Fear River in Bladen County. Check your the local laws in the Regulations. Don't try to put in at most State Park boat ramps either. Firearms in State Parks are a no-no. Other than that use common sense, good judgement, and have fun.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I'm in Craven County, I'll probably be on the lakes in Croatan but I might see if I can't find some places to launch and float creeks as well. Do you know if you have to keep the gun unloaded until you're ready to fire or anything like that?

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm in Craven also. No, as far as I know, (and have done myself) you can load up anytime. Just for safety, I usually don't put one in the chamber until I'm in the boat. Be aware that anywhere on the Croatan is 2 days a week for ducks. Tuesdays and Saturdays I believe, plus a few holidays.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I'm in Craven also. No, as far as I know, (and have done myself) you can load up anytime. Just for safety, I usually don't put one in the chamber until I'm in the boat. Be aware that anywhere on the Croatan is 2 days a week for ducks. Tuesdays and Saturdays I believe, plus a few holidays.

Good to know, I hadn't read that anywhere. I know on base at Cherry Point they have some duck blinds set up but I'll have to look into float hunting on base, though usually by the weekends I have no desire to go back to that place lol.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Used to be if you floated down the Neuse and went through Cliffs of the Neuse State park you have to unload the gun and /or make it where it will not shoot. May have changed???????

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Anyone know if you can take a boat like that into the waterfowl impoundment on Croatan? Or if you can duck hunt in Catfish lake? A lot of people have been helpful on scouting for deer season in this area but I haven't found anyone who's had much advice on waterfowl hunting here.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
As far as I know, it is legal to put a boat in impoundments without designated blinds. You can hunt Catfish Lake from a boat as far as I know as well...if you want to fight the crowds. Beware, thar be 'gators in them thar waters.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
As far as I know, it is legal to put a boat in impoundments without designated blinds. You can hunt Catfish Lake from a boat as far as I know as well...if you want to fight the crowds. Beware, thar be 'gators in them thar waters.

Yeah I've been hearing about the gators, but I probably won't be waterfowling till December or January anyways. And those aren't my first picks for hunting, but they're the only places I've actually been able to look at so far, except a couple creeks on base.