Field & Stream Eagle Talon Angler 12' Kayak

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Anyone have experience with these? FS has them on sale this week, $150 off. I am strongly considering one I just have no experience with FS quality, nor anyone I know.

Thanks.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
I just bought a used on off a friend of mine. Im currently in the process of doing some mods and installing my depth finder. If you search online and on youtube it seems that is the most popular entry fishing kayak on the market. Ive only had mine in the pool to test the depth finder but it was stable even with my big butt (5' 10" 260lbs). Do some searching i believe youll be surprised how happy people are with them. Hopefully i can get mine out soon.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
I just bought a used on off a friend of mine. Im currently in the process of doing some mods and installing my depth finder. If you search online and on youtube it seems that is the most popular entry fishing kayak on the market. Ive only had mine in the pool to test the depth finder but it was stable even with my big butt (5' 10" 260lbs). Do some searching i believe youll be surprised how happy people are with them. Hopefully i can get mine out soon.

I've got an opportunity to buy a Native RedFish 12' for the same price however it's 3 years used. Just don't now if that is worth it compared to these Eagle Talon's.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
I've got an opportunity to buy a Native RedFish 12' for the same price however it's 3 years used. Just don't now if that is worth it compared to these Eagle Talon's.
Im no expert my any means on kayaks, i just got into it a few years ago, but i would think the native would be better quality in the long run. I think its gonna have a better quality plastic on the hull and the rigging would be better also. Honestly the rigging on the field and stream i just got isnt the greatest. I guess it depends on what kind of shape the one youre looking at is, three years isnt old if its been taken care of.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Im no expert my any means on kayaks, i just got into it a few years ago, but i would think the native would be better quality in the long run. I think its gonna have a better quality plastic on the hull and the rigging would be better also. Honestly the rigging on the field and stream i just got isnt the greatest. I guess it depends on what kind of shape the one youre looking at is, three years isnt old if its been taken care of.

I'm honestly not too impressed with the rigging on this Native. The plastic is a good point but I'm not too educated on that matter. I believe it's 3 years, it could be longer. This particular model stopped being produced in 2012 if I read correctly.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
One thing on the field and stream is you will definately have to replace the seat, the factory one sucks. You can go exspensive or do like I did and get a stadium seat from academy for 13 bucks and attach it to the factory seat. Made a world of difference. But I honestly don't think you'll be disappointed with it. At least if you buy from dicks if there's ever any problems you can return it or have a form of customer service.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Alright, I went with the Eagle Talon this weekend. Now I need some rigging ideas. The seat will be the first to go.

Last edited:

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
48fa408294ba6cc91031c13131a028d8.jpg

773ecad98603b264ebf89c73158a17a1.jpg

e4b456ff553f1ad9c661967e203b1163.jpg

Here's the seat I was telling you i put on mine. I did have to attach a piece of strap material to the back to keep the butt from sliding out. I just threaded it on to the clinch buckle of the stadium seat then screwed it down to the rigging on the back cargo area. The stock rod holder was too far forward for me so I bought a scotty depth finder mount to go in the reciever. Then I mounted a new scotty rod holder on the side. I also found a milk crate fits perfect right behind the seat. If you want I can send some pics of my battery box and transducer mount if that's something you're gonna do too.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Oh yeah also with the stadium seat I zip tied some pipe foam around the hinge just so it's not rubbing the bottom of the kayak.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
48fa408294ba6cc91031c13131a028d8.jpg

773ecad98603b264ebf89c73158a17a1.jpg

e4b456ff553f1ad9c661967e203b1163.jpg

Here's the seat I was telling you i put on mine. I did have to attach a piece of strap material to the back to keep the butt from sliding out. I just threaded it on to the clinch buckle of the stadium seat then screwed it down to the rigging on the back cargo area. The stock rod holder was too far forward for me so I bought a scotty depth finder mount to go in the reciever. Then I mounted a new scotty rod holder on the side. I also found a milk crate fits perfect right behind the seat. If you want I can send some pics of my battery box and transducer mount if that's something you're gonna do too.

Send as many pix as you will. Being that this is my first, I'm trying to get as many ideas as I can. As for the crate, are you talking about placing it directly behind the seat in that square mold? Or in the storage area in the back?

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Send as many pix as you will. Being that this is my first, I'm trying to get as many ideas as I can. As for the crate, are you talking about placing it directly behind the seat in that square mold? Or in the storage area in the back?

I was talking about the recessed circle area right behind the seat. I thought the recessed area was useless anyway so i set the crate on top of that area and bungeed it to the same pad eyes the seat clips attach to and it just added another secure area to store tackle boxes, etc. Plus im going to attach a couple extra rod holders to the crate. I just bought one of the cabelas tackle backpacks, so ill probably take the small plano style boxes out of it and put them in the milk crate and stash the backpack in the back cargo area that has my snacks and other fishing/kayak necessities. There are a couple other ideas ive seen on youtube where guys either used a hinged lid tote or an igloo 25 quart marine cooler fit perfect in the back. ACK.com is a good website that will have just about anything you want for rigging and accessories. My next purchase will be a sturdier paddle clip, i dont trust those bungees that came on the yak. Ill post some more picks when i get it all set up. Hope to have it out this weekend. I definitely be taking it out next weekend. Me and the wife plan on going to the outer banks to do a little paddling and fishing.

5 Shot

Ten Pointer
I got me a eagle talon few days ago. Also got a eagle run 12. I love them both.

Attachments

• 0528191158.jpg
    0528191158.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 7661.jpeg
    7661.jpeg
    242.3 KB · Views: 50

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Have you replaced the seat yet? Im trying to decide on what kind of replacement seat to put on mine.
Look up the feel free kingfisher replacement seat. It's about $150 but it was the most common used replacement in these.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Just a side note.....
I did like and think if I got one it would be a Pelican. If I recall they have lifetime warranty and built in the USA.
Academy has them and runs sales.
Been a very good place to due business with, they also sell guns and ammo.
If Dicks or F&S offered me gear for free, I would still need to think about it.