Directions needed

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like we are doing a motorcycle trip to the outer banks (not sure where, yet) near the end of April. We like traveling the back roads as opposed to highways. We are coming from near Charlotte and plan on 24 out to 15 through Carthage, hit 1 north for a bit and getting off on it looks like 78 to 42. After 42 to 13 to 17.

I know 24 and been through Carthage before but what type of road is 42? Any must see stopping points going out that way?

Any input is appreciated.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
42 is almost out of the way for me to go see my sister out towards Dunn, but that is one of my favorite roads to throw the top down on the MG for a "spirited" drive. It'll make for a nice motorcycle ride.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
you'll be towards my neck of the woods in carthage. Enjoy that ride, wish I had a bike lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks fellas. it's hard to tell from map quest. lol.

Now another question what
might one find in the surf or from a head boat at that time? Bluefish?

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
On certain weekdays the Country Girl out of Pirates Cove bottom fishes for tilefish, sea bass and grouper offshore. Or you can try the Miss Oregon Inlet for closer in bottom fishing(less than 5 miles off the beach usually).

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
End up running the last miles on 70 and spend the night in the lil town of Atlantic, then take the ferry.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
If you wind up around Wilson at or near suppertime jump over to 301(take 264 East a couple miles to 301 North) and go to The Beefmastor Inn...best steak you'll eat in a year! From there you can divert out 264 or continue on 301 North back to 42 and continue on your way. If you are getting to OBX around Manteo 264 East from Wilson isn't a bad trip and the scenery is nice around Pantego and Belhaven. And before you get to Mattamuskeet you can take Turnpike Rd to Piney Woods Rd and go around the west/northwest part of the lake to 94 on the north side of the lake which is a nice ride. From there take 94 to 64 East to Manteo.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
I don't use navigation systems, much prefer to use maps/charts. The DeLorme shows every cow path and logging road in the state, and after hundreds of hours of crawling through it looking for remote and unusual destinations I've only found one mistake where they switched the names of two short roads up in the hills. GPS is great but I've been a map nut since a small boy.