Water heater elements?

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Notice I wasn't getting the normal temp from my water heater initially and then a few days later, no hot water at all. What's the chance that I can replace both elements and not have to replace the entire unit? No leaks that I can see...

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
How old is it?

I have one that just did the same thing - it's 20 years old so reckon I'll replace the whole thing

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I just cracked the covers, there's only one element I can find and the pan is dry as a bone.

Turn OFF the power and undo the wires on the element take a meter and put on ohms if no reading it is bad and you should have 2 elements, if elements check good it is the thermastate

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You're right, there are two. This thing is blanketed so well, I found it after removing the thermostat cover. It's on a switch but I don't have a meter, just going to replace both elements and gamble I guess. Sure can't afford to replace it right now.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I picked up a small WH from the dump one day, replaced the element, and 5 years later it was still doing it's job. They're $15 apiece, I've got the socket, Teflon tape, and a 10% Veteran's discount at Lowes. What the heck, might as well....

I'll report back later this afternoon.....

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
I had a problem at MIL last Friday. Climbed under house and elements checked good. Upon turning power back on I heard the problem. The breaker was arcing. $18 latter and water heater working like new for her.

Last edited:

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Draining the tank was the first serious learning experience. Valve stuffed tight with deposits when I started, absolutely no draining it. No telling how much crud in the bottom of the tank, thanks no doubt to Craven County's superb water treatment plant or lack thereof. Two hours later with some weed eater cord, filling, draining and refilling, and some cussin' under my breath I've got it flushed and draining clear. New elements are installed with no leaks, refilled the tank and bled the lines. No leaks and no sparks or explosion when I flipped the power back on and after 15 minutes the water was warm. We'll find out in a little while....

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A bad element will still ohm out unless it's broken

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Neither of the elements showed what I would consider major corrosion or breakage....but they were bad. I've got plenty of hot water now, a welcome relief after 3-4 days of bird baths.

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
How was the annode rod? If I remember correctly from my building days down east, a switch to aluminum over the std zinc rods, improved free deposits in the hot water supply.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Only thing I replaced were elements, but lol, aside from the power source that's about the only replaceable parts in the system I knew to check! It'll scald you now....

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Chances are all the gunk was the remnants of the old rod. If I were you, I would flush it yearly. If you flush during icy weather, you can use the hot water to melt ice.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Lord willing this property will be sold shortly and I won't have to worry about this beast again. On my next home I'm going tankless. If there's any flushing to be done it'll be minimal....