Grass carp question

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
The information I read says 5 per ac. if he pond is 50% or less covered with grass and 10 per ac. if it is greater then 10%. I put 12 in my 1.5 ac pond that had a significant problem mainly because I have an otter that comes through every spring and usually take a couple or more out. Haven't been able to get that sucker yet. The pond had significant weeds around the pond and it was cleaned up pretty quickly and stayed that way till the carp went missing. If you overstock, they will completely clean the plant life out of the pond and that may not be what you want.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Thanks. Think I will start with 20 and try that. Rascals are about $16 each. Pond is about 10 acres. My problem might be a nesting pair of bald eagles.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks. Think I will start with 20 and try that. Rascals are about $16 each. Pond is about 10 acres. My problem might be a nesting pair of bald eagles.
Yep, those white headed buzzards are opportunistic. They will get what is easy.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Yep, those white headed buzzards are opportunistic. They will get what is easy.

yep, Wife and I just walked a Prestonwood CC club golf cart path and there is an Eagle nest at one of the holes. Heard they like the geese around the lakes plus the fish of course.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I've put as many as 3/acre up to 20/acre. All depends on the situation. Small ones are very efficient but the bigger they get the less they will eat.

Gonna be pricey, but if you got eagles, I'd suggest 6-10lber's. They don't really become "worthless" until they're 30+ lbs..

Ncfish001

Four Pointer
We've got a 3.5 acre lake and put 30 in two years ago and are adding another 30 this year. New to the property a few years ago so I don't think any were stocked for many years prior. There are about 7-10 20 pound carp that swim together but they are dying off. The weeds were awful in the between year. We also dyed it to help. Algae was down to normal last year. Very few big bass though and lots of small ones. I think the balance is off

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
yep, Wife and I just walked a Prestonwood CC club golf cart path and there is an Eagle nest at one of the holes. Heard they like the geese around the lakes plus the fish of course.

I haven't seen the eagles mess with the geese yet. I have seen the eagles with fish. I watched a hawk try to get a mallard duck two weeks ago.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If they would get those aggravating geese I would buy them a steak for every one they got. They (geese) make a pure dang mess around a pond.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I haven't seen it at the gold course but my next door neighbor plays there all the time and he has seen one get a grown goose and has heard of them really getting after the little ones.......

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
If they would get those aggravating geese I would buy them a steak for every one they got. They (geese) make a pure dang mess around a pond.

I planted some grass last spring and had the best stand of grass I ever had in my life...them geese eat my grass. So I feel you on the geese. Hope to build a few wood duck boxes to put up though. I remember the time old folks said leave the geese alone and now the older folks are saying kill them...LOL.

Mack I don't live out there yet(I'm building) but I might be surprised at what them eagles get.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I planted some grass last spring and had the best stand of grass I ever had in my life...them geese eat my grass. So I feel you on the geese. Hope to build a few wood duck boxes to put up though. I remember the time old folks said leave the geese alone and now the older folks are saying kill them...LOL.

Mack I don't live out there yet(I'm building) but I might be surprised at what them eagles get.
My father loved geese, I remember going to the coast hunting them with him as a kid when there were hardly any. My dog keeps them run off my pond. The new ones think they can get out on the pond to get away from him but he educates them quick. He is getting old and his goose chasing days are numbered though.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The way grass carp love to sun on the surface, I'd guess they would be an easy target for an eagle. I know we've got an osprey that shows up several times a year and tries to get ours.

I like 5/acre.

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
Any of you fellas with geese problems can call me in September and I'll be happy to help out 😉 Goose steaks are one of my favorites!