when is a youth hunt not???

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
My kid has never been biggest hunter but we sure had lot fun scouting way more than the hunts especially when real little hard for youngun to sit real still early cold mornings but they have blast scouting quality time and excellent teaching time take em every chance you get they grow up to fast. And like what you said brownisdown if they are bord don't force them you can sure turn it into a negative exprience that way

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
I agree, my girls have tripod rests to help hold the gun. As for toting it depends, for deer season they carry their guns, but for turkey I'll carry the gun so that we don't have to load/unload as we move spots. As long as we have youth weeks/days I'll take my kids cuz they enjoy it, but it's not needed and my kids will still get to hunt a lot with or without em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep,I think it's a shame that youth hunts are needed. When I was a kid there were no youth hunts and I went whenever my dad went.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i see the benefit of youth hunts. I know that some participants are not the offspring of the hunter, so they dont have the opportunity to go with a dad or mom.

without the special day/week some wouldnt get to go.

it's help in recruiting hunters will be determined someday. You would think it is one of those deals that "cant hurt."

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
Its a little ironic that I've not read any complaints about the youth days for waterfowl or deer. The resistance is limited to turkey season.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Its a little ironic that I've not read any complaints about the youth days for waterfowl or deer. The resistance is limited to turkey season.

Then you have not been paying attention.. I, and many others here, have been against them for all game.

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Then you have not been paying attention.. I, and many others here, have been against them for all game.

I'm in total agreement. I despise the concept. If a hunter has a child that wants to hunt, it's their responsibility to do so. The state has no reason to have to regulate when a child is given a "special" season to hunt. IMO, it's just an extended season given to overzealous adults that kill way more animals/birds than do those that the season is set for.

I Hunt

Old Mossy Horns
There should not need to be "youth only hunts". All this concept does is give adults the excuse to take youth only on the designated "youth" days. If we as responsible adult hunters would take youth with us at every opportunity there would be no need for these special youth only days.

The answer is simple, we should all take youth whenever possible to to make youth welcome at our hunting clubs always

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
i see the benefit of youth hunts. I know that some participants are not the offspring of the hunter, so they dont have the opportunity to go with a dad or mom.

without the special day/week some wouldnt get to go.

it's help in recruiting hunters will be determined someday. You would think it is one of those deals that "cant hurt."
I agree with this, but unfortunately I think the most kids who take advantage of the youth hunts are kids that already hunt quite a bit. Those kids are already immersed in the hunting lifestyle. I know there's no way to regulate it but it should be a first timer weekend. I have participated in the youth weekend and will continue to whenever I find one to take.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
thanks for participating folks,,,,,,many (most) have the same mindset as I do,,,,,

hunting is about killing,,,,and killing is an activity that requires some level of maturity, and ability,,,,,,,,

I would talk to wildlife officer on this to get clarity on the legality of this.

I have no need to "talk to wildlife officer"(sic),,,,not about legality to me,,,,,,this is an ethical/concept discussion about what constitutes a "hunt" for the really young folks out there,,,,,,,

I know there are a lot of people against youth hunts but isn't it a way to help ensure there are younger hunters coming along to keep the sport alive? If us OFs all die off and there aren't any young folks to keep it going the non-hunters will wipe it out won't they? Just my two cents.

amazing that generations of hunters were brought up without designated "youth days/weeks/hunts",,,,,,,,,,,,,,truly amazing

I am on my third generation of training folks,,,,,,,don't need special days/weeks

but I may politic for a youth squirrel season in September!!!

redbow

Ten Pointer
I'll say what many are thinking. I bet, almost guarantee, that several members here have taken "youths" hunting and shot birds themselves. Of course, no one has the nads to say so. There, I said it.

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
I'll say what many are thinking. I bet, almost guarantee, that several members here have taken "youths" hunting and shot birds themselves. Of course, no one has the nads to say so. There, I said it.

Not what I was thinking. I don't believe many members here have done what you described above. What I am against is someone assisting to the point they are practically shooting the bird themselves, and the kid becomes some attachement to the gun like a GoPro. I personally have friends who think it's still their child "hunting/killing" when they set them in their lap, place the gun stock on the kids shoulder, then place the kid's shoulder against their shoulder, aim the gun and have their kid "pull" the trigger. It's a mindset I don't understand. As others have stated, taking a kid along for the hunt is a wonderful experience. I just hate that kids get rushed into to the "killing" aspect so that Daddy can brag, or their son/daughter can keep up with his Friend's child, etc. Now, if someone does the above during regular season and uses their tag, and not the kids, I have no problem with that.

Jay/NC

Eight Pointer
From reading most of the posts I'm definitely in the minority on the youth hunt opportunity. I can't wrap my head around why people have a problem with kids getting extra chances to hunt especially when the hunt could conceivably give them better odds of being successful. Isn't our job as adult hunters to pass along our love of this great tradition and just being outdoors? I respect everyone's opinion but when I read multiple posts that guys think that "dad just wants to take junior on a youth hunt so he (dad) can kill another animal" I just laugh honestly. Maybe I'm one of the few that wouldn't think about doing something like that.

I started taking my son turkey hunting when he was just 4 years old (before youth turkey existed btw). Of course he didn't carry a weapon and wasn't allowed to shoot until he was 6 years old but we had some GREAT experiences and he learned A LOT about what it meant to sit still and be quiet. In 2012 (NC's first youth turkey season/day) he had the opportunity to watch a gobbler strut and gobble his head off at under 20 yards for 15 minutes. I was sitting right next to him and refused to help him maneuver his .20ga shotgun to get a shot on the bird. He was set up on a monopod and I was trying to get the tom in front of his gun barrel so he could shoot it but the bird just didn't cooperate so we watched him walk off and never saw again that day. This scenario repeated itself several times before he gained the strength required to swing the gun on his own when he was 9 years old and got his first first gobbler. He killed multiple deer and I've NEVER ONCE helped him hold or aim the gun let alone pull the trigger. He hunts youth seasons and regular seasons just the same. I want to give him the most chances I can to get whatever is in season.

I can honestly say I'd rather film my kid(s) hunting than shoot something myself. To each his own. Just my two cents....

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
If a young'un is capable of pulling the trigger on a deadly weapon he is no longer a kid. He is an adult and should be treated as such. I was given a gun at 12 and had my own license too. Most importantly I was treated the same as everyone else and abided by the same rules. At 13 we were cut lose to hunt on our own. It was the first introduction to reponsibility and being an adult. We would have made fun of "special sissy kiddy hunting days". Maybe that's why so many of our youth today still can't figure out which bathroom to use. ;)

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

i will take that bet. but have no idea how to figure it out. :)

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer

True, I don't follow the topics as closely as some do, but it seems to me that the short turkey season really brings out the opposition to the youth season. I am also far from a prolific poster.

I started hunting ~1976 and never had a youth season, but the advantages one offers today is valuable. My nephew is a prime example. His father does not hunt. His only chance is to visit me, but he lives in Chicago. The turkey youth season gives me a chance to get him in the woods earlier. It also gets him on better ground than is available to me. He's batting .500 in the 4 "weekends"/years he has turkey hunted, all youth permit hunts. For the record he has hunted during the regular duck season and plans are to get him down for deer season.

I want to take him when his chances of success are the greatest because of the limited time. When my son is old enough to take advantage of the season we will go for the same reason. It doesn't mean he will never go during the regular season. For my son a youth season, be it a day or a week, will be special to him because it is for kids only. He's still too young to go all out but I hope it builds his enthusiasm to hunt.

I do believe that the new definition of a youth is too old.

CRC,
My best guess to your question about a week long deer season is simple. The opportunity to take a youth over the regular deer or duck season is greater than that during turkey season based on season dates.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
From reading most of the posts I'm definitely in the minority on the youth hunt opportunity. I can't wrap my head around why people have a problem with kids getting extra chances to hunt especially when the hunt could conceivably give them better odds of being successful. Isn't our job as adult hunters to pass along our love of this great tradition and just being outdoors? I respect everyone's opinion but when I read multiple posts that guys think that "dad just wants to take junior on a youth hunt so he (dad) can kill another animal" I just laugh honestly. Maybe I'm one of the few that wouldn't think about doing something like that.

I started taking my son turkey hunting when he was just 4 years old (before youth turkey existed btw). Of course he didn't carry a weapon and wasn't allowed to shoot until he was 6 years old but we had some GREAT experiences and he learned A LOT about what it meant to sit still and be quiet. In 2012 (NC's first youth turkey season/day) he had the opportunity to watch a gobbler strut and gobble his head off at under 20 yards for 15 minutes. I was sitting right next to him and refused to help him maneuver his .20ga shotgun to get a shot on the bird. He was set up on a monopod and I was trying to get the tom in front of his gun barrel so he could shoot it but the bird just didn't cooperate so we watched him walk off and never saw again that day. This scenario repeated itself several times before he gained the strength required to swing the gun on his own when he was 9 years old and got his first first gobbler. He killed multiple deer and I've NEVER ONCE helped him hold or aim the gun let alone pull the trigger. He hunts youth seasons and regular seasons just the same. I want to give him the most chances I can to get whatever is in season.

I can honestly say I'd rather film my kid(s) hunting than shoot something myself. To each his own. Just my two cents....

you missed the intent of the original post then and most of the comments,,,,,

even though I fail to see the NEED for youth seasons,,,I am not saying they need to go (though why there is a week turkey youth season when most (all) kids have school that week is beyond me)

what I addressed was the HOW on hunting,,,,,,,,,,,,,when does it become less about the youth and more about the shot????

you, and I would like to think I and others, approach it as it should be,,,,,an experience,,,,,,,the child will kill something when they are ready but have YEARS of experiences just going,,,,,,,,

the men/families that has done the most of anyone I know for youth growing up to be hunters could care less about whether it is a designated youth day/week,,,,their kids are hunting every chance they can,,,,,,,,,

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns

I once shot a bird when I took my son hunting and was trying to call one in for him. Except he was 25 at the time, and not a youth. And it wasn't youth day or youth week. The bird we had been working forever was really reluctant and wouldn't budge. I couldn't tell whether he had a hen or not. I tried moving several times, changing calling approach, and threw in a couple silent treatments and everything else. Then he went silent on us, and snuck in behind us without being seen. I was against a tree behind and to the left of my son. As fate would have it, the bird circled around with me directly in between the bird and my son. He saw me, putted, and started getting out of dodge. So, I had to kill him. :) And my son to this day still says I killed his bird....

I have heard reports from friends that would testify to what you said above though. And yes, I believe there are plenty of men in NC (but hopefully none of us) who kill birds during our youth week.

I Hunt

Old Mossy Horns

Jay/NC just to respond. I started taking my boys when they were 2. As soon as I judged them to be old enough to shoot a deer, age 9, we started allowing them to shoot deer. We started allowing them to hold their own stands at age 12. I took my children every week that I went hunting. My friends took them at every opportunity when I was working and could not go, and I did the same for my friends children. My children are now frown and hunt all over by themselves with friends that they have made along the way.

Basically if you do your job as a parent then "youth only" days are not needed. My view of "youth only" days is that they give certain parents the opportunity to avoid taking their child each time that they go because they take them on "youth" days. And yes, we all know the parents that would shoot on "youth only" days. These are the same parents that take a child that cannot hold a gun up into the dove field and walk out with 2 limits and claim on is the child's

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
if you are old enough to serve your state/country are you a youth??? 17 is that age,,,,,,,,,

I think not,,,,,

I spoke with a GW last week about this. The Feds made NC change the youth day age limit for waterfowl, so NC changed it for everything to keep it simple. Apparently the feds think anyone under 18 is a youth.

Last edited:

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Do I think the youth days are necessary, no. Do I have a problem with them? No. But if the kid can't hold a gun, aim it, and squeeze the trigger by themselves, they don't need to be shooting at game. Spend that time at the range if you like. This may mean 5 or 6 for some or 12 or 13 for others. That's for the parent to decide. But if you're taking your kid, holding the gun, doing the aiming, and letting them put their finger on the trigger and pulling, no, I don't think that's a youth hunt. No problem with anyone doing that, but it shouldn't be done during youth season. Brownisdown's kid is my nephew and I'd take him with me anytime. But it wouldn't be during the youth season, because he's not the one doing the hunting literally. He's there taking part and learning, but he's not old enough to do what I think his part is to justify it being his kill. I assure you his daddy won't be taking him during the youth season either. But when he or my kid can do their part, we will definitely take advantage of the youth season. But pop or uncle won't be toting a gun. Jr. will be handling it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I've got a permit youth hunt for two of my kids. The younger of the two can shoot, but I'd still rather carry the gun to and from the hunting spot. It will be unloaded either way. I don't know if it's allowed. I take it the adult can carry the turkey? That's a heavy carry even for an adult walking some distance!

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
if you are old enough to serve your state/country are you a youth??? 17 is that age,,,,,,,,,

I think not,,,,,

Exactly.

The opposite is also true. Just because you can use a weapon does not make you an adult. I teach 18-20+ year olds and many of them are FAR from adults.

My nephew was in complete control of the shotgun on every hunt. My son will be the same way. I see no reason to hold the gun, etc. Like the youth season being just for kids/him, he would want to do it all himself.

ETA:
There will always be abuse of the system. The only thing we can do as sportsmen is to do the right thing ourselves. Slob hunters will always be slob hunters. Outlaws and renegades will always be outlaws and renegades regardless of opportunity.

Last edited:

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
I took my son early and now my grandaughters. My requirement is they have to handle the shotgun by shouldering, aim and fire by themselves.

Right now the girls like to go, but are not ready to shoot. We do not need a youth day around here. They are in the woods with me all the time, scoutng, checking trail cameras an sitting in blinds or stands with me.

Last edited:

redbow

Ten Pointer
i will take that bet. but have no idea how to figure it out. :)

I do, just look in the kill section on youth day. It will be the guy in the picture with his kid in the stroller. If you disagree with my earlier post, maybe that guy is you. Just sayin.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I do, just look in the kill section on youth day. It will be the guy in the picture with his kid in the stroller. If you disagree with my earlier post, maybe that guy is you. Just sayin.

i think you you are wrong about" several members here" and you're damn sure wrong about me being that guy. Just sayin.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Pretty big assumption there for not knowing the people you are referring to I can't say I know everyone on here but I have met some and not a one has been a poacher.