when is a youth hunt not???

Trappertod

Six Pointer
We take advantage of youth days, but it is all on him. The only thing I do is sit, nap and call. We hunt the entire season though, just extra days for him. I loved the youth waterfowl days. I just like watching him enjoy hunting though.

BuckMark

Spike
Personally, I chose not to bring my boys on hunts until they were 10. Just a personal decision based on their maturity, and what my experience was as a youth. I leave that to each parent/mentor to judge on their own.

They are 14 and 10 now. I don't see the youth days or mentor days in other states as a way to "fulfill my obligation to the short people" and then blow the boys off for the rest of the season. I actually look forward to it as an extra opportunity to hunt with them. They are my best hunting buddies and are invited every time I go into the field, and it still stings a little (unbeknownst to them) if they choose backyard football with the neighbors once in while rather than an evening in the stand with Dad. My oldest killed his first deer on a youth hunt a couple years back. Obviously at 12 he completed all tasks himself including field dressing, and assisting with butchering. My youngest will get out this year with us for turkey, and we drew a gameland youth hunt permit this year. Could we do this all on opening day within the season? Sure. Do we need a youth hunt? Not really. But it has been great for my kids, and I appreciate the opportunity. I choose to look at the 1000's who see it for the same thing rather than base my opinion on the jackaninnys who abuse or distort it. Those guys are always in the minority and jack all kinds of stuff up usually, not just youth hunts.

redbow

Ten Pointer
I know you are not that guy oldest school. But you and turkeyfooot are naive to think that all members on this "internet" forum are law abiding citizens. For Christ's sake, it's the internet.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'll say what many are thinking. I bet, almost guarantee, that several members here have taken "youths" hunting and shot birds themselves. Of course, no one has the nads to say so. There, I said it.
You sound like my dad .... tightline. ;) I don't know about anyone on this forum but I am not afraid to say that there are some in this state that will take their 4 or 5 yr old turkey hunting when they wont be able to hold a turkey gun still long enough to make a shot much less squeeze the trigger. A turkey load kicks and all of us knows this. Not many 'youths' can handle that gun shot load in my experience.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I know exactly what the original poster is talking about. My brother in law took his daughter turkey hunting. She was too young to understand and he called and shot the bird then claimed that he was teaching her. That is not a youth hunt. This type of hunting is when Youth plus Adult hunts can be used for teaching. The rule book states what age a Youth is for this year and states that the adult may NOT shoot. This is straight out of the rule book and should be posted on every youth hunt application.

Youth Season (male or bearded turkey only): Apr. 1– 7, 2017
Turkey hunting by youth during this season is allowed statewide,
but some game lands will require a permit (see Game Lands
section). Each youth hunting during this season must be
accompanied by a properly licensed adult at least 21 years
of age (“Youth” means a person less than 16 years of age).
The adult may accompany more than one youth during any
particular hunt and the adult may NOT harvest a turkey. Only
one weapon is allowed per youth hunter. Each youth must have
a Big Game Harvest Report Card and report harvests according
to instructions in this Digest. License-exempt youth should
report their harvest using a Big Game Harvest Report Card
for License-Exempt Hunters.
Statewide Spring Season (male or bearded turkey only)

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I know you are not that guy oldest school. But you and turkeyfooot are naive to think that all members on this "internet" forum are law abiding citizens. For Christ's sake, it's the internet.

when you made your statement you spoke of "Members here". to me that would be the members that post on the turkey forum,

I dont miss many posts on that sub forum and i get no sense of facebook ego driven youth week poachers from them or their youth pics. I do not see any of the strollers you mentioned. :)

I'll just hold that naivety until I see different and hope you are wrong.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My 5 year old is pretty deadly with his .410 and Hawglips TSS load. I'll opt to take him out during the regular season so I can help as much as a he needs or wants me to.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
As I said ..

^ ... and I hate to say it, but I suspect that an unscrupulous few use it to extend THEIR season. :(

So, oldest school ... you don't think eeehhhhrrr-buddy's doooin it?
Me neither. But 'a few' are, I'm willing to bet. Maybe I'm naive too. ;)

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
As I said ..

I may be little naive as well but I like to think the best until someone proves me wrong and not just assume but actually know I have no desire to go through life assuming so many people are in the wrong. I know people poach I don't associate with people that do so I may little blind to what all goes on as well. Hck no one will ver accuse me of wanting to brag I still don't know how to post a picture on here:)

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
My oldest daughter missed one at age 10. But I'm not sure I'd have been any help as I've missed my share. Looking forward to taking my 11 year old next week.

I do recall reports a couple of years ago of a guy posting pics of he and his son doubling on youth day. It didn’t stay up long.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
As I said ..

my bias is to believe the posters on our turkey forum are above poaching during youth week,

i guess that makes me a homer for NCHF. :)

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Funny after reading and replying to this thread. Yesterday I had a friend trying to get me to let him bring his kid on my land to turkey hunt. The kids 13. I told him sure as long as he had his own license and during the regular season. He replied that his son didn't need a license and he wanted to hunt during the youth season. I told him that he needed a license to hunt my land and if he carried a gun and was capable of taking a life he no longer qualified as a kid. Dad wasn't happy. :D

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
the scenario that drove my "question" was a fellow with his son,,,,,5-6 year old,,,,,,I was like "cool, bet you have a nice .410",,,,,,club member that was "guiding" them said "nope, 12 gauge",,,,,,,,,,,

I just looked at him,,,,,,,,,this kid weighed 50 lbs,,,maybe,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,made me go "hmmmm",,,,,,,,,,,

I am all about kids hunting as soon as they are mature enough and skilled enough with a firearm/bow,,,,,,,,,,not before,,,,,,,,,,,that call is up to the adult,,,,,,,,,but when the act is merely pulling the trigger I say "hmmmm",,,,,,,,,,,,

redbow

Ten Pointer
You sound like my dad .... tightline. ;) I don't know about anyone on this forum but I am not afraid to say that there are some in this state that will take their 4 or 5 yr old turkey hunting when they wont be able to hold a turkey gun still long enough to make a shot much less squeeze the trigger. A turkey load kicks and all of us knows this. Not many 'youths' can handle that gun shot load in my experience.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE

Jug,
You and I have banged heads before and have not always agreed. But I always respected your father, Tightline, and I am honored that you said I sounded​ like him. Tightline always spoke his mind and I will too.

redbow

Ten Pointer
Just look at the responses. It is obvious that most know that there are some if not many that take advantage of "youth season". Youth season has great intentions. But just like food stamps, handicapped parking, and welfare, things that have good intentions are always taken​ advantage of. It is simply what most humans do.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Redbow ,
I didn't always agree with my dad either. I am glad to see NChunt has another one on here like tightline.
Will keep the place interesting....:D

Last edited:

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just look at the responses. It is obvious that most know that there are some if not many that take advantage of "youth season". Youth season has great intentions. But just like food stamps, handicapped parking, and welfare, things that have good intentions are always taken​ advantage of. It is simply what most humans do.
Redbow ..... man you must have took notes from tightline......
;)

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I have several friends that take their children or other kids during youth seasons and regular seasons. None of them are the type to take advantage of their kids opportunity.

I have witnessed an adult shoot ducks on youth waterfowl day, but I didn't know him then, and don't know him now. My son was very young and couldn't hit crap, but there is no way I would take the gun away from him.

There was a youth day for deer season this year, youth could use any weapon on one saturday (dont remember the day) during bow season. Adults take advantage of all laws and rules, not just youth days in hunting. Most likely adults who use a kid as an excuse to break the law would simply find another way to skirt the law to get their bird. That is not hunting and not the type of people we want educating and molding future hunters. But IMHO more hunters use this season for its intended purpose. Same goes for the duck and deer season.

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
the scenario that drove my "question" was a fellow with his son,,,,,5-6 year old,,,,,,I was like "cool, bet you have a nice .410",,,,,,club member that was "guiding" them said "nope, 12 gauge",,,,,,,,,,,

I just looked at him,,,,,,,,,this kid weighed 50 lbs,,,maybe,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,made me go "hmmmm",,,,,,,,,,,

I am all about kids hunting as soon as they are mature enough and skilled enough with a firearm/bow,,,,,,,,,,not before,,,,,,,,,,,that call is up to the adult,,,,,,,,,but when the act is merely pulling the trigger I say "hmmmm",,,,,,,,,,,,

Tough to argue with that evidence.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I like doing youth hunts. Its a way I can get a youngster interested in hunting. We have done a few in the past and one youngster took 3 years to kill his first turkey. no one held the gun or pulled the trigger for him. During that time frame he missed three. Were we upset no its part of learning. He will be back out there this year with us with a lot of previous experience. To me its all about getting the kids out there hunting weather they kill something or not. It is a easy, in most cases a short hunt for them, and it is very interactive which holds their attention. These days I would rather see a kid or a first time turkey hunter take a bird than myself. That being said I would take a 6 year old with me on my hunt but not on a youth hunt just because I could.

Last edited:

30/06

Twelve Pointer
you missed the intent of the original post then and most of the comments,,,,,

even though I fail to see the NEED for youth seasons,,,I am not saying they need to go (though why there is a week turkey youth season when most (all) kids have school that week is beyond me)

what I addressed was the HOW on hunting,,,,,,,,,,,,,when does it become less about the youth and more about the shot????

you, and I would like to think I and others, approach it as it should be,,,,,an experience,,,,,,,the child will kill something when they are ready but have YEARS of experiences just going,,,,,,,,

the men/families that has done the most of anyone I know for youth growing up to be hunters could care less about whether it is a designated youth day/week,,,,their kids are hunting every chance they can,,,,,,,,,

The comment about kids being in school isn't necassarily true, mine are in year round and are off all week. Doesn't do me a bit of good, I have to work all week but there will be kids out of school. The best days turkey hunting I had last year was opening of youth , we called in 4 toms and my daughter missed one. I do agree they should shoot themselves, I did hold the mono pod for her (probably why she missed!), birds came in from wrong side where the field pod was set up and had to scramble. I think it's a good thing, kids feel like its a special day just for them and seems to really peak their interest in hunting.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
my question wasn't about the benefit, need, or lack thereof of a youth day/weekend/week,,,,,,,it was about what constitutes a "youth hunt",,,,,,,

I am all for youth hunting for crying out loud but NOT for adults taking a youth "hunting" so they can kill things for them,,,,,,

if the shoe doesn't fit,,,don't wear it,,,,,,,

Last edited:

30/06

Twelve Pointer
10-4, Hopefully the wind won't be blowing too bad in the morning, looking forward to getting my daughter out tomorrow. I think she's more excited to go to the club and play with the landowners kids than actually hunting. Good luck to all tomorrow and be safe with those little ones.

treestock

Four Pointer
"Everybody gets a trophy". Cheating the kid...100%. The kid should learn to prepare and hunt when he is ready to DO THE JOB.

I realizes that times change but......it's not about the trophy.
Yup

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

treestock

Four Pointer
Yep. Pizz on youth day/week and letting kids "hunt" that aren't capable of doing it themselves when it comes to holding (with or without a rest), aiming and shooting without an adult there to do it for them. Too many people hung up on their kids getting in on the action before they can do the fundamentals themselves. Heck, a lot of adults can't do this.
And yup

treestock

Four Pointer
My $0.02. Most of us adults learned to hunt during adult seasons because adults cared to take time out of "their" season to help teach us. If we cared enough about the youths, we'd do the same. I think the push for youth seasons is a cop-out for adults to have a dedicated time for them to take youths and not miss their own season.
Yup. Don't kill no deer in front my dogs because we run a daddy day care with seven kids from 2 to 14 teaching fundamentals and trying to get them their first shot without handing it to them on a corn pile