H&R Turkey Gun

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So, I'm picking up a H&R fixed full 24" barrel today for several reasons, but interested to see how it throws turkey loads, this is a very lightweight run and gun weapon. I noticed on H&R website their turkey guns come as full fixed barrels. Anyone have any pattern/load info from that pardner?

hog&deerhunter

Ten Pointer
12 or 20? I have found that the Federal Heavyweight loads do not need a super full turkey choke. The flite control wad does better without going to tight and theheavyweight shot is an amazing killer for non TSS loads. Try #7 in either 12 or 20 before you try anything else.

SM270

Ten Pointer
I have an H&R excell auto in 12 ga and it loves Winchester Double X number 5's. I've shot it with the standard full choke and a jelly head from Primos and feel confident with either.
Shot a bird last year at 8 yards with this combo full choke and DESTROYED his head.

Thutty-thutty

Eight Pointer
I've hunted with an old NEF SB2 10ga for years ( off & on ) it's a fixed full choke . The only loads I have for it are old school Winchester & Federal 2 1/4 oz #6. They both throw a solid pattern

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Mine is a 20" barrel that has been threaded for chokes. HS undertaker .665 throws nitro 1 7/8oz copper plated #6s very dense and well.
If I am woods hunting and only need a 25-30yd shot I will use pheasant loads. 1oz #6s. Less recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk