Truck Bed Liner Recommendation

Avery Taxidermy

I need a good bed liner for a new to me 2008 Chevy 4x4. I want it to last at least 10 years. Any experience with DIY with Herculiner or Rusteleum would be great. Or long term durability with a spray on liner. Looking at the new Dualiner on the web also. Thanks.

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
I have had 2 friends do their own bed liners and both of them turned out surprisingly well. One of them is a GC and his truck bed get abused daily. It has held up very well over the past 2 years. Not sure of the brand they both used but it has a rubbery texture when finished. I do know the prep work was the key as well as very time consuming (like 2 full days) but worth it in the end. One rolled his on and my GC sprayed his on with a sprayer and special tip. They both ended up looking about the same. I want to say for a full sized truck bed there was about $200 in material.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
check out Monstaliner by Magnet Paints. I put it inside the tub of my wrangler and it looks great. It is not rubbery, but has held up to abuse thus far.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
I did the bed of my old Chevy with a bedliner from Wal-Mart..At the time it was around $40 per gallon but it did the job pretty well for me. If it pops off in places all you have to do is re-apply it to that spot again..

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've rolled Herculiner in one truck and Duplicolor Bed Armor in another truck. Both did ok for general use but they were both kinda lumpy even tho well stirred. As was said, LOTS of prep is key and takes a long time. Plus cover EVERYTHING because that stuff goes all over where you don't want it. I'm getting ready to do another truck and I'm going to just pony up the $$$ to have a spray in liner.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Raptor Liner.......easy to spray on......just did a truck last weekend with it.

Amazon has it for about 100 bucks......not sure if the gun will come with it .....it did not come with one that I bought last week, but we had one already. Yes, the gun is made for this product......regular paint gun will not work.

Just cover the truck in plastic and tape off the bed, sand the bed a little with 80grit or scotch brite, clean it , dry it and spray it. Dries to the touch pretty quick, good to drive in 24 hours.......totally cured in 4-5 days I think it says on the label

double

Twelve Pointer
Still running a drop in plastic liner on mine. Like $200 does the job and no prep or mess to clean up

Avery Taxidermy

Thanks for the help. Interesting, no one paid for a spray in liner?

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I did my 2003 Chevy S-10 bed with the Rustoleum roll-on liner when it was 6 months old. I did it over one day, on and off waiting for it to dry between coats. It faded from the dark black to a very dark grey, but otherwise has held up great. That was almost 14 years ago.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
JMO but I would get a quality spray in and be done with it.
I don't know what it costs in your area but here you can get it done for like $350-375.

Last edited:

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have had a couple done by LINE-X. No problem with either of them and they do have a lifetime warranty. LINE-X is guaranteed not to crack, bubble, or flake..

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks for the help. Interesting, no one paid for a spray in liner?

Personally, I'd pay a professional to do it and not think twice. No way I'm spending $200 on material costs and then spending 2 full days of prep work before I even start applying the liner. And after all that, it's still not gonna be as good as a professional job and no warranty.

I put a Line-X in my F-150 9 years ago, and I was very pleased with it. Very tough. A little harder and less rubbery than the Rhino liner, but a little more durable I think. The Rhino *might* grip cargo better. When I got my new 250 last month, the dealer was set up for spray in liners, so I had them put one in at a discount. I'm not sure exactly what product they sprayed, but it feels similar to the Line-X and it looks good.

Last edited:

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I also did a LINE-X bed liner in my 2004 F-150 a couple of years ago, and it still looks like new.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Personally, I'd pay a professional to do it and not think twice.

This, this and this!

Pay the extra and have a professional do it. One of my first jobs in high school was prepping and spraying Rhino Lining. Professionals have a time tested process, formula, warranty and do all of it in a controlled environment. It will come out 10x better.

As for the brand, that is up to you. The 2 big ones are Rhino and Line-X. I wouldn't go with anyone but these 2 because in the past, these were 2 that were actually developing new product and most of the 2nd tier brands were just buying the license to use the old formulas of Rhino and Line-X. I personally like Rhino better. The 2 key differences between the 2 are that Line-X is a more tear resistant because it sets harder. However, because it is harder they spray it thinner and it doesn't have the gripping ability that Rhino does. A lot people prefer the look of the Line-X because it being thinner, allows for it to adhere to the factory contours of the truck thus still allowing that factory bed look. Rhino is softer however it is usually sprayed thicker. They went with the softer formula because it has better gripping ability and a more rubbery feel. Don't take softer to mean soft, it isn't soft, Rhino is just more rubbery than Line-X. It is very tough and warranted by the same lifetime warranty.

Last edited:

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
I have the Line-X Liner in my F150 and you are correct that it is thinner and less grip. Personally I would pay the couple hundred extra dollars and have it done professionally as opposed to doing all the prep work and only saving 2-300 bucks. It can be done as a DIY project and done well but just not worth it to me.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I think I got my Rustoleum liner in a gallon can with the texture pellets and maybe other stuff I needed for prep for $25-30?? (Don't remember exactly, as it was a while ago.) Did it over the course of a day .... did a lot of other stuff around the house in between coats. Totally worth it to me. :)

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I just bought a Herculiner kit for the deck of a boat. What I'm finding is the hardest part, it the time to do the actual application.

nckeith

Ten Pointer
I need a good bed liner for a new to me 2008 Chevy 4x4. I want it to last at least 10 years. Any experience with DIY with Herculiner or Rusteleum would be great. Or long term durability with a spray on liner. Looking at the new Dualiner on the web also. Thanks.

Had a line-x installed in my new superduty back in December. It's held up great. I did put a rubber mat in top due to it being rough, however, the combo seems bombproof so far. $500 total for 6'9" bed. I didn't think it was too bad for the amount of prep work.