Recommendations: Software to record GPS Coords While Hiking

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Need a little advice...
Trying to plan ahead for hikes I take alone in case I fall and break a leg or something.
I want to be able to click / save GPS coords on my iPhone and be able to send them to somebody.

( I used to have / use MotionX and it was fabulous but fell victim to the free software by today's big boys )

Today I have:
Google Earth and Google Maps on my iPhone but don't see any way to grab / save GPS coords.

Am I overlooking something...or do I need an App for that purpose?
If so...any top iPhone App recommendations would be appreciated...thanks

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
If I hit save location or send it In email I can text it to the wife also.

Few times I hunted the big farm at the club and no one was there I would send text to wife when
at truck parking, at stand, tracking deer location and out of the woods.

All tagged with gps from Google maps to show location.

That way there was the area I parked, path, stand and general location.
Anyone with a phone could click and walk to the location.

Last edited:

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I gave my wife a map of our club with various landmarks numbered. I text her where I am planning on hunting for the day and give her a few updates.

I use an app called GPS Hunt on my iPhone it is more hunting related than hiking but very informative. You can even show owner boundaries and can load park maps on it.

Last edited:

mdunker

Ten Pointer
The iphone has a feature to send your current location via text message. Once in a text hit the little "i" in upper corner and hit "send my current location".

I would also recommend configuring the "find my iphone" app. It would allow someone else to find you if you became unresponsive. It also helps you find any apple device that gets lost or stolen.

I also use the antler insanity app for hiking and getting to stands. You can mark points and have the app guide you to them.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
if you have real good cell service in the areas you'll be hiking and such a phone app could work (can't help on that though as my fold is an older version and most/all apps I have tried don't function well with it).

However if there is a chance that cell coverage is mediocre or worse I'd invest in a SPoT or some such

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

cabelas has them on sale, but limited stock

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SPOT-LLC-SPOT-GEN-ORANGE/1661065.uts?productVariantId=3609002&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03750221&rid=20&gclid=CPrvmquk69ICFYMkgQodouwLwg&gclsrc=aw.ds

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks for the replies...so far I know about sending a link for a dropped pin in google maps...using the iPhone messaging to send my location...I keep the 'find my phone' feature turned on all the time...and any hikes I take around the Wake Co. / Granville Co. area have always had good cellular coverage.

And thinking worst case scenario where an overnight wait in the woods for assistance might happen, seems the most obvious worry would then become iPhone battery life...so a few years ago I bought an external rechargeable battery by Powerocks, which recharges an iPhone 3 times...( tested it )...and its smaller than a king-size pack of cigarettes...it goes with me, same as a pocket knife.

So the only other thing I've been wondering about for added insurance...was wanting to also grab raw GPS coord numbers out of the air to be able to text / email the numbers for a satellite search without any dependency on phones, cellular networks, software apps, etc, all having to be compatible / in play at the time.

Pirate96...you said:
"Google maps is rolling out a new feature that should work for you"
Do you have a link that describes what you're referring to?

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You might try this. https://www.gaiagps.com/

I've not used it, because I don't have a smart phone, but a forum member on another forum recommended it. He uses it on high adventure hikes in Montana, and it doesn't even need a phone signal to record, once downloaded. I expect you might be able to use it to send your track to your wife. It only costs $20.

deerhunter28

Ten Pointer
Drop a pin and text it to whomever or just share your location.

All above is if you have cell service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I know that I can press and hold my finger on the screen in Google Maps....and send that.

Press and Hold. Red pin appears on screen. "Dropped pin" appears on bottom. Tap that, and it expands to show you options. "Save Label Share Download" are the four options.

I use it more for saving to look at later, but the share option is excellent.

If you don't mind your searchers being 3 to 5 meters off..... :)

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Interesting...I never get a 'share' option...just save, label, download...maybe I've got some setting turned off or something

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If I hit save location

That's what I wasn't doing...after I drop a pin and save a location, then the GPS coords appear underneath it.
When I txt or email it, the GPS coords survive in the txt or email also.
So it looks like I have what I wanted, just didn't realize the steps I needed to take for the GPS to become visible.