Buckshot choke

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
In my Benelli I use a Carlson's buckshot choke which seems to be nothing more than a ported extended full choke. I recently bought a new 1187 and am looking at a buckshot choke for it. Do you guys find that 00 buck patterns better with modified or full chokes? I have not shot a Remington in years so I was wondering what some of you guys that shoot them like the best.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I've always used a full, unless it's some of those shells with a flight-control wad, I think those are only supposed to be fired through an open choke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Treetall

Twelve Pointer
Kicks buck kicker xtra full. ive shot a pure gold .696 buckshot tube in the past and it was nasty but the kicks is even better. We are not allowed to shoot rifles at my club so I have strictly shotguns for the past 5 years. Had several kills between 80-100 yards this year with my set up

Last edited:

Treetall

Twelve Pointer
And do not shoot any kind of flite control shells as stated above. Get out and pattern your gun with several different plated and unplated shot and different brands and sizes and see what patterns best

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
And do not shoot any kind of flite control shells as stated above. Get out and pattern your gun with several different plated and unplated shot and different brands and sizes and see what patterns best

^^^^this one works best.

To answer your question though...me personally with my experience..I would modified first. Full will often times put flat spots on your buckshot as it passes through the barrel. Once the buckshot has been flat spotted it doesn't fly straight...example...sling shot with a ball bearing verses a flat rock. The ball bearing is going to fly the best route to the target. Now you know why copper coated buckshot is better...copper is harder than lead. Doesn't mean copper is better for everybody though.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
And to really confuse the issue, my Browning B-80 prefers the Improved cylinder choke, with Winchester Supreme 3 inch mag 00 buck...

The only way to really tell is to pattern...

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
When I was hunting deer with a shotgun and I still use it for 'yotes I use a .660 Rhino choke with 00 for deer and either #4 buck or BB heavishot for 'yotes. It would put every shot in a 3" shell in an 18" circle of the 00 at 50 yards.

Last edited:

Treetall

Twelve Pointer
Nc cat my first shot for deer is a 3.5 inch #4 buck followed by 3.5 inch either Remington 00 3.5 or Winchester black shell supreme 3.5s

mbh78

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Patternmaster tube with Federal Premium 00, no flight control wad. I've shot this combo in Remingtons and Brownings with the same great results.

Last edited:

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There is no single correct answer other than to try different combinations of choke / buckshot types to see which one works for your shotgun. Even within guns of the same make and model, the barrels will have enough variation to cause all to pattern differently with the same type loads.

Trappertod

Six Pointer
I too am working with my SBE II on this. We joined a club last year that runs dogs and we have to use buckshot. Not sure why, but copper plated buckshot is out performing plain lead. I am going to order a choke as well, just trying to decide on pattern master or a kicks.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I tried several buckshot tubes with regular wadding buckshot, patterns were acceptable to 50 yards. The best was with a plain Jane improve cylinder and Federal Flight control wad 00 buckshot. Cameron had an extra full Primos(IIRC) turkey choke that absolutely threw an awesome pattern (100%, 16-18" @ 50 yards) with Remington 000, the cheap stuff. I have always tried many brands, size and choke tubes when patterning a shotgun.

Last edited:

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
How far are you wanting to shoot? My 1187 does good to 40 yards with a Remington modified choke and the regular Remington Express 00 buckshot.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I'll say it again, you've got to pattern it. Take a day, shoot em all through all your chokes and see what works. It sucks, but it's gotta be done...my 870 likes WinXX 00, and WinSX #1 out of a mod.

I would definitely try the Federal FCW first though, through a cylinder or improved cylinder. I've seen some amazing patterns out of those shells.

Last edited:

Treetall

Twelve Pointer
I have killed a bunch of deer with #4 buck, especially when I used a 10ga.

54 pellets coming thru a quality buckshot choke is a nasty combo. Shot a small buck opening day about 60 yards across a field coming out of a canal right center of the chest and backflipped right back into the ditch.

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
I love #4 buck through a turkey choke...aim where the neck meets the shoulder for deer standing still and for the nose on gunning deer and it will smoke then out to 50-60 yards

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
I'll say it again, you've got to pattern it. Take a day, shoot em all through all your chokes and see what works. It sucks, but it's gotta be done...my 870 likes WinXX 00, and WinSX #1 out of a mod.

I would definitely try the Federal FCW first though, through a cylinder or improved cylinder. I've seen some amazing patterns out of those shells.

That's the thing. The gun came with a mod choke and nothing else. I was looking for some guidance before I bought any more chokes for it. All I will ever use it for is buckshot so I don't need a lot of tubes for it. But you are right, the only true way to test it is to try it all!!

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
You might be able to find a set of remchokes fairly cheap, or just roll with a Kicks/Carlsons buckshot tube.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
That's the thing. The gun came with a mod choke and nothing else. I was looking for some guidance before I bought any more chokes for it. All I will ever use it for is buckshot so I don't need a lot of tubes for it. But you are right, the only true way to test it is to try it all!!

If you ever get up Raleigh way shoot me a pm I have a R.E.M. Turkey choke you can have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
And to really confuse the issue, my Browning B-80 prefers the Improved cylinder choke, with Winchester Supreme 3 inch mag 00 buck...

The only way to really tell is to pattern...

I think that is because Browning makes a tighter choke than other makes. I have a old 3" mag browning A5 with a 30" full choke and it has never impressed me with buckshot of any kind. Copper, nickel, or lead.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have two of them here, one that will shoot buckshot great and one that will only shoot #1. Both are identical, one was my grandfather's and one mine. Go figure that.

Last edited:

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Kinda stunned to hear this , I thought my dad was the only one that killed deer with #4 buck
I generally shoot 000 buck when I'm deer hunting

If you own a 3.5 chambered gun [10ga or 12ga] the # 4 buck is the stuff IMO.
My Mossberg 935 with a .696 Undertaker choke shoots great patterns [tight, smooth and point of aim] as far as you should shoot at a deer.
Lead 10ga #4 buckshot is hard to find now but my SP-10 with a 20"rifle sighted IC barrel does very well with the HeviShot #4 buck.