Roanoke Shad

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Made my second shad trip of the year yesterday. Pete and I had a good ole time. Fishing was slow compared to the shad fishing i am used to but 25 or so were brought to hand and all were fun. Most were 1 lbish to 1 1/2 , the biggest may have went close to 3.

All hits came on a 1/8 oz pink head jig with 2 inch Berkerly Powergrub. Spoons and other colors were IGNORED.

Saw several bald eagles, ospreys, kingfishers and lots of other fishermen.

DSCF4388.jpgDSCF4393.jpgDSCF4387.jpg

Bruiser

Old Mossy Horns
Good friend slayed the Shad in Weldon yesterday and today. Fishing the Jimmy D tandem rigs. Water is really low.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
1. So, the shad are still in? I still need to take my son (hopefully Sunday afternoon) for some shad.
2. What are some good lures to pick up - and where, locally, besides a WalMart?
3. Where's a good spot to eat b/w Williamston and Weldon - one off, Mom and Pop, diner...

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
We had a good day yesterday. Caught near 150 from 12:00 until about 6:15. The best lures were a colored spoon with a curled tail jig up above it.

You can pick up a good selection of tackle from the Bargain prices Land Bait store on roanoke Ave in Roanoke Rapids. As for one off places to eat in the area, you may want to hit Oscar's restaurant in Roanoke Rapids. It's an old dinner style place. It's not far from the bait shop.
I know these places are a few minutes out of the way but are not but about 10 to 15 minutes from the ramp.

Last edited:

hawkman

Eight Pointer
We had a good day yesterday. Caught near 150 from 12:00 until about 6:15. The best lures were a colored spoon with a curled tail jig up above it.

I know these places are a few minutes out of the way but are not but about 10 to 15 minutes from the ramp.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Arrived at Weldon at 1230pm. At the parking lot, a man said "Nothing. Caught em all day yesterday, but today. Nothing". Nothing was going on and I started on the bulkhead between the ramp and dock. I worked my way towards the rapids and saw a guy up there catching one occasionally. Later when he left, we shifted upstream along with the guy who was upstream of me. THEN, we started catching some. Probably landed a good dozen or so. Tins of fun in the current. Bit I bet we snagged half them. They're in there thick! We'd see em swimming by, even sitting there in groups of a dozen or so.

All my fish were caught on a 1/8 pink head jig with white curly tail grub. I switched to the single rig before I started catching any. My neighbor may have been using 1/16 black head with green body.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

23mako

Ten Pointer
Went yesterday, caught fish, had fun, will return. Mack was dead on. Pink was the hot color of the day and from talking to a few other people around me, had been the hot color for several days.

I think they are actively spawning right now. I also foul hooked a hand full of them and would see them come up and slap the bait. Pretty amazing!

Stopped at Ralph's on the way out and enjoyed a good meal as well.

Crestliner

Six Pointer
Took my oldest to Weldon after getting skunked at Milburnie. Once we figured out that today they wanted a pink and white shad dart or maribou jig twitched slowly. We managed about 15. There were several shad pro's there doing well with a single silver spoon, but no one was really slaying them.

Hope that they start to release some water for the striper to come on up soon.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Was at Weldon Wednesday evening. Landed a half-dozen. Started with the same 1/8 pink head with white grub that I left with on Sunday. Switched to 1/16 with green body. Then to the shad dart with gold spoon combo and it was game on then. Caught a fish on four consecutive casts - but one was what I think you call a "silver perch" (?). The guy next to me thought it was a crappie, but I don't think it was.

23mako

Ten Pointer
I imagine with this rain and increase in water level flows from roanoke rapids lake that the main body of stripers will start their move upriver.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
They are cranking up the release any minute from 2250 to 3500. this has been planned for a while and while it is better then 2250 , 3500 isnt all that much flow there. the avg flow for this time of year should be around 10,000

correction, dominion had 3500 planned but it is over 4000 right now. also remember that as of 2 mins ago single barbless hooks are required.

Also, take a white floating worm.

Cut it into as many pieces as you can. When you put your shad or shiner on a barbless hook they have a tendency to come off easier and get off on the cast. Put a piece of the worm on the hook after hooking the live bait. The piece of worm stcks tight to the hook and will not let the bait fly off. And the fish don't care that it is on the hook.

Last edited:

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
Put a piece of the worm on the hook after hooking the live bait. The piece of worm stcks tight to the hook and will not let the bait fly off. And the fish don't care that it is on the hook.

Small piece of wide rubber band does same thing.

Happy fishing y'all.

hayco10

Eight Pointer
Went Friday afternoon and fished across from boat ramp at Weldon and caught around 30 in two hours between two of us.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
So this year was my first shad experience and first at Weldon. Pretty cool. How will this compare to the striper-time then? Will it pale? Does the place get packed? If you don't have a boat, is it worth the drive to Weldon? I'll have to see if there is an existing thread about how to catch stripers there. (My experience is the Pamlico Sound and a little bit of trolling crankbaits in the Albemarle Sound.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
If you dont have a boat its a waste of time during rockfish season.
I havent been in about 4yrs or so but it use to get so packed it wasn't worth the trouble to me.
I live here and can go during the week some and it still got so aggravating that I sold my boat.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I guide on the Roanoke beginning the last week of April and the entire month of May. It does get a little crowded but most everyone is polite and somehow it works out. Bank fishing is limited but sometimes you can find a spot around the big rock upstream from the boat ramp.
Assuming they actually start turning some water loose.... If they wait too long the run will be compromised and we'll wind up in the sound, which I hate with a passion.... But ya gotta do what ya gotta do....