April will be 3 years since I divorced Time Warner Cable...

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
36 months I dropped cable, installed 2 large Over The Air antennas in the attic, added Netflix...and saved $100+ / month.
After the initial outlay of about $300 for the large antennas & coax cable...I've saved $3,300 and haven't missed a thing.
Still get all the majors...(with better reception than cable)...with important sports games, plus Nature / History / Music / News, etc.

I'm sure its not for everyone...but for my wife & I who hardly watched TV much anymore anyway, its turned out to be a huge savings.

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I wish I had the internet speed and digital reception needed to do the same thing...that's one of the few disadvantages in living at the location where I reside.
Congrads on "living the dream :)"

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I did the same thing Bill about 5 months ago. Bought a small rotating off-air antenna and set it up 20'. I get 36 channels, but just like when I had 280 channels of satellite, I find I'm still only watching about 5 of'em....:rolleyes:

smilliganqb

Eight Pointer
Thank you for this post roundball, been trying to convince my wife for months that we don't need Time Warner and that it is a waste of money. You have provided me evidence to support the need for change!

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I remember that thread. It should be in the archives lol. Great blueprint on how to cut the cord if one is interested. Congrats on all that $ saved!!!!

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Wish I could do this. I ONLY watch live sports, such as Braves games, and the whole family enjoys them. So not an option for me...

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Wish I could do this. I ONLY watch live sports, such as Braves games, and the whole family enjoys them. So not an option for me...

Along with sports, I generally watch non-Network TV which isn't available with antennas. Some channels are available over the internet but an inconvenience to view. I'll keep my cable until I have trouble putting food on the table.

Black Jack

Four Pointer
We cut the cord when we built our new house (moved in Dec 15). Put a nice antenna in the attic and get 26 channels. If you are looking somewhat basic cable channels over the net I highly recommend PlayStation Vue. I tried Sling and was not impressed.

Between the antenna, PSV, Netflix, and Amazon (already had a Prime membership) I don't really miss anything, and save a lot each month!

ABolt - ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNews, ESPN U, Fox Sports South, FS1, FS2, Golf, NBA tv, NFL network, NBCSN, BTN, SEC Network = $34.99 on PSV Core Slim package

Black Jack

Four Pointer
Along with sports, I generally watch non-Network TV which isn't available with antennas. Some channels are available over the internet but an inconvenience to view. I'll keep my cable until I have trouble putting food on the table.

You would really be surprised with what is out there now with PSV and Sling (again I prefer PlayStation Vue). They have come a long way in a very short amount of time.

Lou

Eight Pointer
Roundball, what data rate internet are you using for Netflix?

Also, do you use an OTA DVR? I've heard good things about Tablo, I'm considering getting one. I think I'd miss the TWC DVR so I'm thinking of combining OTA with the Tablo DVR to have the ability to fast forward through commercials.

Thanks,
Lou

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I dont have cable, internet, or phone at home. Use my phone data for what I need and have a 30ft antenna for free TV.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Plus, I get free entertainment from TWC almost every week...repeat...almost every week for 3 years:

A visual chuckle every time their constant letters trying to get me to come back keep showing up in my mailbox;

An audible chuckle every time I hear their whiny letters go through the shredder;

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Roundball, what data rate internet are you using for Netflix?

Also, do you use an OTA DVR? I've heard good things about Tablo, I'm considering getting one. I think I'd miss the TWC DVR so I'm thinking of combining OTA with the Tablo DVR to have the ability to fast forward through commercials.

Thanks,
Lou
One of AT&T's fast Internet offerings...can't remember exactly...not their absolute fastest but think it's something in the mid-20's.
Don't do any dvr stuff

Last edited:

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I could trash my TV and never miss it. Just can't get wrapped up in anything like that these days. I do enjoy my internet though. It's more of a tool these days than anything.

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
Yep I havent had cable in a solid 4-5 years myself. Live off local cable antenna, netflix, hulu, and someones HBO Go account haha.
The only thing to come out of it is I miss out on the sports world, which I personally dont care a ton about anyway.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I could trash my TV and never miss it. Just can't get wrapped up in anything like that these days. I do enjoy my internet though. It's more of a tool these days than anything.

This. My TV hasn't been on all day. I use to like a little TV noise to go to sleep and I'd set the TV to shut off on a timer. Now I just have another beer.

Sapo

Button Buck
It's Spectrum now they changed the name to rob more People I just love their internet. If you have that you have anything you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flathead977

Ten Pointer
You would really be surprised with what is out there now with PSV and Sling (again I prefer PlayStation Vue). They have come a long way in a very short amount of time.

We went the same way about 3 months ago. Tired of paying $100 a month for directv. Most channels we watched were on the $35 a month plan on Playstation Vue. It also has DVR capability and we have been very pleased with it. I need to get an antenna for locals, but haven't been very concerned with that yet.

wcjones

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Watching the braves play the tigers right now with PlayStation Vue. 35 bucks a month vs 93 a month. I'll take it

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
Is the Vue something that requires a fast internet connection to stream, or does it work similar to satellite or cable? Our internet sucks, but we don't have any faster options available.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
We haven't had cable/satellite tv since 2009, with the exception of a couple of months in KY where it actually lowered our total bill. Only thing I miss is a few games a year. Every time I visit my parents I watch a little tv and realize how much I don't want to pay that extra $40/month.

samuelrp

Eight Pointer
TW has such a bad reputation for hurting people. They changed their name to Spectrum (?) trying to change their image.

flathead977

Ten Pointer
Is the Vue something that requires a fast internet connection to stream, or does it work similar to satellite or cable? Our internet sucks, but we don't have any faster options available.

Don't know how bad your internet sucks, but I would guess if you can watch youtube now without buffering you could use Vue. It is an app that we put on Amazon Fire Tv.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
At one time we had channel 3 to 13. Then a "box" came out and you could get HBO!!! I could do without cable, but don't think the wife could. Even though she only watches a few channels.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
[This was my edited post. When I saved my edited post, it posted a new version below, so I deleted this one.]

Last edited:

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I've been dying for 20 years to GET cable. Can't afford it. I'm sick of missing NC State games (since they went ESPN). Then again, I've BEEN SICK when I DO SEE State games this year! :( I'd like to watch the Tour de France once in awhile and also see the hunting/fishing shows. However, when I'm at a hotel, all I do is flip channels because "there's nothing on". Also, there is SO MUCH JUNK on cable. Reality shows, sports shows that feature arguing and brash talking, etc. And WORSE junk that I don't need my children seeing, let alone me. I pay $17 bucks for cable and get the same thing you do with your antenna. BUT it's NOT HD.

Also, since I don't have HD, the picture extends beyond the limits of my HD TV screen to the right and left. It has nothing to do with changing the aspect of the image, it only stretches or zooms in. I thought that when cable went "digital" it would solve my issue. So it was then I bought my first flat-screen HD TV. Still no luck. THe only way is to get HD cable/dish or go with the antenna.

I need to do the antenna thing, but I don't have room in my small attic. At least on the south side of the attic - the side that faces the broadcasting towers in our area - can the attic-based antenna be on the opposite side? (Usually, exterior antennas have to have a line-of-sight to get good reception I thought.

Last edited:

Black Jack

Four Pointer

If you can watch Netflix or YouTube you should have no problem.

I have satellite internet because of no other options and the need for at least 5mps for when the wife or I work from home (DSL was only 1.5mps at my lot).