NCSU Leopold Wildlife Club take 2nd place....

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
....at the annual Wildlife Conclave. GO PACK!!!!

https://research.cnr.ncsu.edu/sites...lace-at-the-2017-southeast-wildlife-conclave/

NC State’s student chapter of the Wildlife Society, the Leopold Wildlife Club, traveled to Starkville, Mississippi on March 16 to compete with 23 other teams in the Southeast Wildlife Conclave. They traveled home on March 19 with the second place overall team trophy, several other awards, and a team bond to last for ages. The competition began on Friday morning with the first rounds of the Quiz Bowl competition. NC State’s team (Lucas Bobay, Justin Hill, Mark Turner, and April Boggs) had a tough draw and lost to the National Champion University of Georgia team in their second match. Moving to the loser bracket, they won their first match, which secured them a spot in the second day of matches on Saturday. On Friday afternoon, the entire team competed in a team field event where they raced to 24 different stations, each challenging students on topics including species identification, knot tying, and trap setting just to name a few. This event put into action the knowledge and skills that our students learn in their FWCB classes. Immediately following the team field event, students dispersed to their individual events, including canoeing, radio telemetry, dendrology, archery, orienteering, and more. Art event submissions were also judged during this time. In the evening, individual students competed in turkey, waterfowl, cervid and miscellaneous game calling events. It was back to the quiz bowl competition on Saturday morning. NC State marched thro ugh the loser bracket beating powerhouse teams such as Auburn University and Haywood. Their run came to an end when they met University Tennessee Knoxville who ended up in third place for quiz bowl. On Saturday afternoon, students took part in workshops focused on a variety of topics such as bat monitoring, falconry, deer research, chemical immobilization, bird banding, and wildlife necropsy. The SE Wildlife Conclave culminated with the awards banquet on Saturday night where NC State took home nine individual awards, third place in the team field event, and second place overall. When it was announced that NC State earned second place, the team erupted in cheers and clanging of the Mississippi traditional cowbell. It was awesome! The team and award winners are listed below. When you see them on campus, please give them a big, “Go Pack!”

2017 NC State Conclave Team
William Casola
Samuel Jolly
Ryan Beeson
Patrick Lynch
Moriah Boggess
Megan Owens
Madison McDiarmid
Lucas Bobay
Lindsay Clontz
Elisabeth Frasch
Edward Landi
Justin Hill
Dominique Dilandro
Charles Ben Decker
Carson Billings
Austin Mueller
April Boggs
Alison Vanvorst

Award winners
Lucas Bobay – First place in Unmanipulated Photography AND First place in Landscape Photography
Elisabeth Frasch – First place in drawing
April Boggs – First place in Rifle
Mark Turner – First place in Turkey Calling
Madi McDiarmid – Second place in Painting
Moriah Boggess – Third place in Field Photography AND Third place in Trail Camera Photography
Ryan Beeson – Third place in Waterfowl Calling

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I'll bet they will still be pumped tomorrow night at the dinner. Will be fun to talk with some of them. I think April was here at my place last year on the work crew I won in the auction. One tough little lady.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
I'll bet they will still be pumped tomorrow night at the dinner. Will be fun to talk with some of them. I think April was here at my place last year on the work crew I won in the auction. One tough little lady.

April's a spitfire. I love her to death.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer

You gonna bid again? You got a real deal last time. I found somebody to watch Ralphie so I'll be staying over at Brian's. I'm going to try to get there early like you so we can talk turkey.

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Congrats to state. I always enjoyed going to conclave and the woods man's meets each year....

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
That was last week. CONGRATS to the pack and my alma mater for 3rd place. Go VOLS!!

Not sure about this but darkthirty, if you were referencing Parttime's post, he is referencing the wild game dinner tonight. Seems a number of us will be attending.