DIY shed or pre-fab "Amish" delivered?

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I think I know the answer to this one before I ask. I'm a DIM (do it myselfer) but lately time has been tight. I tend to plan these things for too long and waste too much time before getting started - though there's nothing wrong with being prepared. We don't want to stay in this too much longer but we don't know if we'll be able to afford a move, so who knows. All I have for outdoor storage is an old cinder block pump house (maybe 8x8) with low ceiling and a small lean to).

I'd like a space for a bench at one end, a small loft, double door.

Thinking 12x16 at a minimum. Dutch roof for loft space.

I'm thinking I can build it for a lot less with better quality.

My wife says time is precious. Order and it'll be delivered.

Have any of you faced this decision?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm in almost exactly in the same quandary. Except for the size we are looking at the same situation, and the same nagging from the wife.
I'm leaning toward building, but it's not gonna save much money, materials are crazy expensive.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
I was facing the same thing. The idea of it being done and delivered was appealing, but I ended up building it myself.
Cost and, more importantly, quality outweighed time.
Price out the materials and compare to what you can buy pre-built. No comparison.
It was no fun, but after it was done I was very glad I didn't pay twice what I had in it for an inferior building.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Youtube is so full of good tutorials - many good series on shed building. The problem was, after watching for a couple of hours last night, I want to build a 20x40 pole barn with concrete floor. :)

I do have some construction experience from back in my college summer days, and did everything from framing floors and walls, to drywall, roofing, siding, etc. I also gutted the house we bought and did most of the work getting it back together. So, it's not just youtube and Holiday Inn Express stays that I'm counting on... :)

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
Best price on materials was Builders Discount Center, but the closest one was too far.
I made a list of everything, from the posts to the roof, and emailed it to them and they emailed me back a quote.
I took that to Lowe's and they beat it by 10%. They didn't want to, but that's their policy. Guy swore they were losing money on the lumber. Had to work my way up the chain to get hem to match it, wasn't happy about the hassle. You'd have thought it was coming out of his paycheck the way he acted.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You can buy two 20x8 Conex boxes for $3k delivered if you look around most of the time. Cutting torch and a little welding, it'll never rot, never get termites, and they're lockable and waterproof...

I'm buying 2-40' Hi-Cubes and 1-20' to start building my retirement home next month....

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
You can buy two 20x8 Conex boxes for $3k delivered if you look around most of the time. Cutting torch and a little welding, it'll never rot, never get termites, and they're lockable and waterproof...

I'm buying 2-40' Hi-Cubes and 1-20' to start building my retirement home next month....

I like...
keep us posted. Was trying to sell the wife on that one but she wants to build another house.

ascain

Button Buck
Best price on materials was Builders Discount Center, but the closest one was too far.
I made a list of everything, from the posts to the roof, and emailed it to them and they emailed me back a quote.
I took that to Lowe's and they beat it by 10%. They didn't want to, but that's their policy. Guy swore they were losing money on the lumber. Had to work my way up the chain to get hem to match it, wasn't happy about the hassle. You'd have thought it was coming out of his paycheck the way he acted.

Don't worry. I can assure you Lowe's did not lose money on the lumber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
I'm a do it my selfer as much as anyone....or I use to be. Currently building a new house but I tell you one thing you don't see when you price that lumber or the pre fab buildings and that is the tricks of the trade. Framing is easy for a do it yourself guy but after watching my framer frame my house....there is a art to that. Can we do it sure but will it be better.....maybe..maybe not. Good luck with whatever you choose to do but don't count on your family or buddies to come help you with it...them days are long gone. Last thing...you mentioned moving. If you plan to possibly take this building with you at that time...then I would buy a prefab. It will be built to move.

derekorr1986

Six Pointer
I built a 12x12 a few years back, buying the materials and building myself were comparable to what I could buy already done. I saved a little bit of money building myself, but I also built a much nicer and higher quality shed with higher ceiling. I did sacrifice quiet a bit of time building it completely solo. If time is a factor and you won't own it forever, I'd say buy one already done.

entropy

Twelve Pointer
I was in the same quandary a few years ago. Worked with Larry from sheds done rite in Zebulon. He did a great job. It's vinyl sided to match the house, 9 foot sidewalls, lofts on each end.

He prefabs parts at his shop and brings them to your site.

Check out his shed builder online quotes

http://shedsdonerite.com/EasyQuote.htm

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I took a look at sheds from two different manufacturers yesterday. One was "Old Hickory", the other " ". One has a higher pitch to the Dutch roof meaning a lot more room overhead and in the lofts. I like that a lot. However, I noticed it has a single top plate on the walls. The other brand has a noticeably lower pitch to the Dutch roof (less volume) but double plate, tied (lapped) together in the corners. I noticed the display models have joists on 12" centers and studs at 16" - both options you pay extra for...

Also, 10-foot wide is significantly less costly than 12. Yet, a 10-foot building is measured by the floor dimensions. A 12-footer is measured to the eaves. You actually don't get another two feet in width.

I know they say build double what you need. I'd like to build a 24x40 minimum if I could. Later, though. Oldest of 4 kids going to college next year....

Yes, we're still considering solo build. My wife thinks it'd be great to get the kids involved as well. (So do I).

As a recent poster said (derekorr), time and "how long we plan to stay here" are both considerations.