it's spring,,,,,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
and a gobbler died,,,,,,,in South Carolina,,,,,,

spotted this bird last Sunday scouting,,,,,,,only had a few hours in AM to hunt on a couple of days this week due to work,,,,,,,,

Monday AM - ddn't hear a peep,,,,,,had to leave at 0930 for the trip to Nortehrn VA,,,,,,,got back Wednesday night,,,,,,,,

Thursday AM - heard him but he was 200 yds from where he was Sunday,,,,,,,same bird,,,,,,,came out of roost and messed with me for 10 minutes and then he was surrounded with a couple of hens and away they went,,,,,,,left at 9 to get to work,,,,,,,,

This AM - went to the area where he flew down Thursday hoping to knock him silly when he flew down this time,,,,,,,,,,of course he gobbled from the roost 150 yds back towards where I saw him Sunday,,,,,,got moved in on him and began to play,,,,,,just one set of calls to let him know there was a pretty hen (well one with a nasty butted calling method) by the edge of the swamp,,,,,,,then waited,,,,,

he gobbled from the roost at everything,,,,,,,other turkeys,,,,owls,,,,wood ducks,,,didn't matter,,,,,,,,,

he flew down and I couldn't see him but at least he was closer,,,,,,,called some more,,,,,nice and easy,,,,,,after about 10 minutes he finally got to where I could see him,,,,,strutting and gobbling,,,,,,,

I never called again (did I mention my calling stinks?) but I did mess with leaves so he could hear it,,,,,every time I did that he'd come 5-10 feet closer and strut/gobble some more,,,,,,,

finally got him to 30 yds and he was wanting to come closer, but kept looking off to the east - I figured there were birds there so I let him have a headful of Federal HW 7s,,,,,,,,,

dead bird,,,,,,thank the Lord and pass the gravy@@

aTG48Mz8SFWrZ3y-vILymSitxFLDgM98hwFvXeM0KiKJ8b34qemwbcKKKAEjmCTznthxypE7WVastw=w165-h220

RUfsA_9MxK63ZseamTWEIAnQv-_h_jak0T_2GfQ9NN1_69Ce-tmPxmOXCcel0-0Lj6OQ4FX52EaVfQ=w165-h220

yIVlxyHOSJMIZ9QLoy1rcga5I8MjTlUQuA3lOYV44KcQhHZYqktxhRKg9oU1Jj0rvbFzsKqRW7MzoQ=w165-h220

killed him with that Berretta A300 12 gauge (that was for sale - no more) and Federal HW #7s,,,,,,,like that gun and the factory full choke throws a scary pattern with those shells,,,,,,,,

Last edited:

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Congrats! I'm chomping at the bit...my season starts in 6.5 days down in N Georgia...

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Awesome! Those are the kind of stories that get you pumped up for the season. Fed. heavyweight 7's are good stuff.

JJ260

Six Pointer
Nice job John!! Maybe a couple will want to play for my niece and nephew next Sat.

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
congrats way to get the spring started always fun when one makes you come back to hear him another day before you tote him home

Last edited:

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Nice job and congeats, WM.

... Was that the first score of the season on this board?

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
... Was that the first score of the season on this board?

Yeah,m we need to get the 2017 turkey kills thread going.

FYI, that may be the COOLEST selfie I have ever seen!!......well......maybe the second coolest selfie.....tough call.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
and a gobbler died,,,,,,,in South Carolina,,,,,,

spotted this bird last Sunday scouting,,,,,,,only had a few hours in AM to hunt on a couple of days this week due to work,,,,,,,,

Monday AM - ddn't hear a peep,,,,,,had to leave at 0930 for the trip to Nortehrn VA,,,,,,,got back Wednesday night,,,,,,,,

Thursday AM - heard him but he was 200 yds from where he was Sunday,,,,,,,same bird,,,,,,,came out of roost and messed with me for 10 minutes and then he was surrounded with a couple of hens and away they went,,,,,,,left at 9 to get to work,,,,,,,,

This AM - went to the area where he flew down Thursday hoping to knock him silly when he flew down this time,,,,,,,,,,of course he gobbled from the roost 150 yds back towards where I saw him Sunday,,,,,,got moved in on him and began to play,,,,,,just one set of calls to let him know there was a pretty hen (well one with a nasty butted calling method) by the edge of the swamp,,,,,,,then waited,,,,,

he gobbled from the roost at everything,,,,,,,other turkeys,,,,owls,,,,wood ducks,,,didn't matter,,,,,,,,,

he flew down and I couldn't see him but at least he was closer,,,,,,,called some more,,,,,nice and easy,,,,,,after about 10 minutes he finally got to where I could see him,,,,,strutting and gobbling,,,,,,,

I never called again (did I mention my calling stinks?) but I did mess with leaves so he could hear it,,,,,every time I did that he'd come 5-10 feet closer and strut/gobble some more,,,,,,,

finally got him to 30 yds and he was wanting to come closer, but kept looking off to the east - I figured there were birds there so I let him have a headful of Federal HW 7s,,,,,,,,,

dead bird,,,,,,thank the Lord and pass the gravy@@

aTG48Mz8SFWrZ3y-vILymSitxFLDgM98hwFvXeM0KiKJ8b34qemwbcKKKAEjmCTznthxypE7WVastw=w165-h220

RUfsA_9MxK63ZseamTWEIAnQv-_h_jak0T_2GfQ9NN1_69Ce-tmPxmOXCcel0-0Lj6OQ4FX52EaVfQ=w165-h220

yIVlxyHOSJMIZ9QLoy1rcga5I8MjTlUQuA3lOYV44KcQhHZYqktxhRKg9oU1Jj0rvbFzsKqRW7MzoQ=w165-h220

killed him with that Berretta A300 12 gauge (that was for sale - no more) and Federal HW #7s,,,,,,,like that gun and the factory full choke throws a scary pattern with those shells,,,,,,,,

sounds like the third time was the charm. hunting one specific turkey is a great challenge.

Congratulations.