Pattern Action

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Using a Truglo Gobbler Stopper .665 choke vs Browning Invector Plus Full factory choke on a Browning Gold at 25 and 40 yards.

Factory Full 25 yd
832a0aa0ab960e0a8643b6dc57da917c.jpg

Gobbler Stopper 25 yd
0c870c30774360dd7d3eac4a1ab2c5de.jpg

40 yd.. Factory full
8e3db795b1bdf1c6db2507ce98675ed1.jpg

40 Gobbler Stopper
91cda154bc108dee90f39e38ff51597d.jpg

Shooting
54afa47b4ed6aaf5e7da7f5fbfda127a.jpg

Been using that load for years with no problems. Most turkeys I have shot were less 25 yards or less.

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
That factory fell off pretty good wondering if you ever shot 6 through either bet your pattern count would go up quite bit through that .665

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've been disappointed in the quality control of Browning factory chokes..........their fulls can vary from .675 to .690.

Remington & Winchester chokes are a bit more reliable but I still trust Trulock chokes more than factory made choke.:rolleyes:

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Those rem . loads are ok, the lead is really soft in those shells, I once patterned those same shells and at 40 yards some of the shot was still stuck in the cardboard, at 25 yards they will kill, 8 shot will kill one at 25 also, good luck with lead shot,I would spend $10 More and get some Longbeard s in 5 shot, they are 90% better than those remington loads.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
I will check a couple places for some. Not much around here within 25 miles. One place in town and may be hit or miss.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
This the one? ?? Just in 6's.

d22c3fb1f50999009d7c24a7027a61ac.jpg

If so I will just order online, save some looking.

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
NO doubt if I was shooting lead that is way I'd go but you said most your shots are 25 or less them longbeards may be really tight and the factory may actually work out better in long run

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
I knew my gun had a good pattern at 25 so I just let the birds come on in. I will get a box and see what they do.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Those rem . loads are ok, the lead is really soft in those shells, I once patterned those same shells and at 40 yards some of the shot was still stuck in the cardboard, at 25 yards they will kill, 8 shot will kill one at 25 also, good luck with lead shot,I would spend $10 More and get some Longbeard s in 5 shot, they are 90% better than those remington loads.

I've killed a few with those Remingtons out to 40, no worries... ;)

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
I knew my gun had a good pattern at 25 so I just let the birds come on in. I will get a box and see what they do.

It looks like your load isn't centered, try at 20 and see if it shoots to point of aim, I also like to have a large sheet, like a newspaper page behind my target to see how well the pattern is centered at 40 yards...

Thutty-thutty

Eight Pointer
I've shot 3-4 birds with those Remington's in 4 shot out of my 835. They've always shot well & never had a problem killing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Try the regular Nitros without the turkey on the box. 16$ 25 shells. Same specs and kill just fine within 40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It looks like your load isn't centered, try at 20 and see if it shoots to point of aim, I also like to have a large sheet, like a newspaper page behind my target to see how well the pattern is centered at 40 yards...

Scott, if you need large paper, let me know. I've have some 24x36 and maybe 30x42 sheets that I got from work.