Finished another one

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Just finished another one. This Nessmuk Hunter is 1095 @ 59 RHC. She has black liners with stabilized Spalted Maple.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Very nice! How do you stabilize the spalted maple?
I vacuumed in a jar with Minwax wood hardener then after final sanding, I gave it a few coats of Tung Oil. I purchased the wood about 8 years ago and it was sitting in a garage for about 20 years before that.

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
I vacuumed in a jar with Minwax wood hardener then after final sanding, I gave it a few coats of Tung Oil. I purchased the wood about 8 years ago and it was sitting in a garage for about 20 years before that.

Ever use a CA finish to stabilize? My turkey calls, bowls and pens all get a CA finish, and I haven't had any splitting issues. Just curious, always looking for new tips...

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Ever use a CA finish to stabilize? My turkey calls, bowls and pens all get a CA finish, and I haven't had any splitting issues. Just curious, always looking for new tips...

No. Correct me if I'm wrong but dont you need like 20 coats to finish with CA? I'm gonna try Waterlox on my next one. Its pricey but a can should last a lifetime for me. I heard it hardens up real good and very few coats are needed.
I should at that I gave this knife about 8 coats of tung oil with some steel wool between applications.

Last edited:

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
No. Correct me if I'm wrong but dont you need like 20 coats to finish with CA? I'm gonna try Waterlox on my next one. Its pricey but a can should last a lifetime for me. I heard it hardens up real good and very few coats are needed.
I should at that I gave this knife about 8 coats of tung oil with some steel wool between applications.

I use 3-4 coats, sanding to 600 grit between each coat. Finish with a high friction plastic polish. Works great on turkey calls especially. Super hard finish and seems to be impervious to moisture, sweat, bug spray etc....

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
Once I get my woodshed set back up, I will have to see if I have any of my black cherry burl left over. It would be cool to have you make me a knife.....Cut the burl about 6-7 years ago, waxed both ends and let it dry for 4 years. Made my friend a turkey call for his wedding, and my ex wife a wine stopper for her book club. Really cool wood.

I have a bunch of shorts and blanks of different species if you can use any. Bubbling, Wenge, Zebrawood, Canary wood, you name it.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I'd be interested in any usable scraps. My old roommate back in NJ owned a high end custom cabinet shop and gave me all kinds of nice pieces. I have some zebra, African blackwood, wenge, cocobola, Birdseye maple, pink ivory etc. I have some wood that I don't even know what it is! Labels came off long ago.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
Klingspor woodworking shop is a good place to find interesting wood as well. There are several across the state if any are near you.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I didn't like the edge geometry so I CAREFULLY ground a thinner one. I also polished it a bit more since I couldn't find my compound the other day. I'll have another batch done in a few days. There's a hunter, a tanto Hunter hidden tang and a belly skinner in the works.