Marlin model 90 O/U

dpoutdoor

Ten Pointer
Anyone own one? I just received one from my dad that was passed down to him from a close friend. I've wanted this gun for years! Shoots good, has what I believe is full/mod barrels. I'm doin some research on it now. Just wondering if anyone else has one. I don't believe marlin made a whole lot of different model shotguns.

spittinfire

Six Pointer
I currently own 3 but I often find myself trolling for more. I have Marlin issues though. Marlin actually made a couple of shotguns through the years but never in great volume.

What the details?!?! Gauge? Barrel length? Single/Double triggers? Are the barrels separated? How about some pics?

dpoutdoor

Ten Pointer
1b37123fefd1b890d0b38b61e11cd999.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dpoutdoor

Ten Pointer
Haven't measured the barrels but I'm guessing 24-26" maybe. 12 gauge. Barrels aren't seperated, double triggers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Id take care of it and shoot it. The guns built back then were built to last. It amazes me how good some of them still are in function. Most others that fail are due to lack of care.

spittinfire

Six Pointer
I like the engraving, seems very simple but cool. That's an earlier gun if the barrels are connected for the full length, I forget the exact year that changed but fewer guns have connected barrels. I'd guess 26", I'm not aware of a 24" version.
I've got one 12 ga with 28" barrels that I don't shoot much. Then I have a 16ga with 26" barrels and a 16ga with 28" barrels. The 26" 16ga was the first and it got me hooked. I thought the 28" would help me on sporting clays and it did a little. Then I decided I NEEDED a 12ga because 12ga is cheaper to shoot. The 28" 16ga is my go to shotgun for almost everything...I LOVE that gun.

I'll have an early, connected barrel 16ga at some point simply because I want one. I would LOVE to have one in 410 but they are hard to find and bring a premium. I've never seen one but I understand some combination guns were made, rifle/shotgun.

Did I mention I like Marlins? and model 90s?

spittinfire

Six Pointer
That is awesome! Notice how the receiver has a different color to it then the barrels? That's because the barrels are steel and the receiver is not. People will try to reblue them and the receive will end up looking purple, almost a plumb color.

Take care of it and shoot it. They were build like tanks and I've read of guys putting 10s of thousands of rounds through them with no issues.

dpoutdoor

Ten Pointer
I've never seen one like it before. Guy that owned it originally was a big time quail & rabbit hunter. Guns is in pretty good shape. I plan to use it for a few dove hunts a year but that's about it. This gun brings a lot of memories with it. I use to ride around with the original owner while he was hunting when I was 5 all the way until he died when I was 15. I've also have an A5 that was his, early Belgium model. Only use it for doves as well. They'll go to my son once I decide to pass em on.

dpoutdoor

Ten Pointer
That is awesome! Notice how the receiver has a different color to it then the barrels? That's because the barrels are steel and the receiver is not. People will try to reblue them and the receive will end up looking purple, almost a plumb color.

Take care of it and shoot it. They were build like tanks and I've read of guys putting 10s of thousands of rounds through them with no issues.

How can I determine for sure what the barrels are choked? Also any idea on determining age? It has a 4 digit serial number w/o a letter prefix.

spittinfire

Six Pointer
How can I determine for sure what the barrels are choked? Also any idea on determining age? It has a 4 digit serial number w/o a letter prefix.

The only real way to know how it's choked is to measure them. I've read to many conflicting measurements to trust production information from 60+ years ago. I used to have a chart that listed the production dates but it relied heavily on the prefix. The earlier guns without the prefix it gets a little tougher to get the exact date plus they stopped and restarted productions during WWII which adds to the confusion. The solid barrels stopped somewhere around 1949 or 1950 I think.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I currently own 3 but I often find myself trolling for more. I have Marlin issues though. Marlin actually made a couple of shotguns through the years but never in great volume.

What the details?!?! Gauge? Barrel length? Single/Double triggers? Are the barrels separated? How about some pics?
You right about the volume but they made more then a couple, they made O/Us, single barrels, pumps and probably the most they made were bolt actions. And Marlin even made LC Smith doubles for a very short period of time.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
There has been one here on the classified a couple times, cool old shotgun. There is a flat metal gauge you can buy to give you the numbers on the barrel openings, it is tear drop shaped. Then there are website that will convert the numbers into gauge/choke for you.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Looks like you have a couple of cracks beginning there in the buttstock. I'd start looking around for someone to do an epoxy bond on that before it gets any worse. There's a guy in Florence, SC who does such but might be someone closer who is also capable.

Cylinder bore on a 12ga is usually .729" Using this chart you can determine your choke with a caliper. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ke.htm&usg=AFQjCNHRTcK7HwJIUblxhQARn8JSLUHNow

Last edited: